Central Transport | Why would anybody work here

Well everyone needs a job. Just getting out of truck driving school..... gotta learn someplace. Some people are close to retirement so it would be hard to go to other places.

Just sayin...
I don't think this is anyone's dream job....I believe for the most part they are simply drowning in debt and have no choice. That's why my common theme to the young guys is to get out of debt and stay out of debt...... If you can't afford to pay for it in cash then you don't need it that bad....Besides your home this is not an unrealistic goal. Listen to this old man I would not steer you wrong. If you can learn to live within your means you won't be at the mercy of companies like this....And you can tell people like Hartman the TM in Dallas to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Well everyone needs a job. Just getting out of truck driving school..... gotta learn someplace. Some people are close to retirement so it would be hard to go to other places.
Perhaps a stepping stone for the rookies but a waste of time in my opinion, they would be better served not to waste time at a company like this. Pay your dues at a company worth staying at. As far as the older drivers that didn't prepare for the future perhaps it is just too late for them....They are simply trapped and must do what they must to pay the bills.

I don't think this is anyone's dream job....I believe for the most part they are simply drowning in debt and have no choice. That's why my common theme to the young guys is to get out of debt and stay out of debt...... If you can't afford to pay for it in cash then you don't need it that bad....Besides your home this is not an unrealistic goal. Listen to this old man I would not steer you wrong. If you can learn to live within your means you won't be at the mercy of companies like this....And you can tell people like Hartman the TM in Dallas to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
True words of wisdom that few will ever know or understand. This is how I have lived my life. Now I have my sins as does anyone else but I kept things under control. At 56 I have my house paid off and am debt free. Bought two brand new cars in my life all others were used and all were driven to their graves by me. Many times I have been called cheap by those who will go to their graves in debt. I just shrugged them off, that's OK I see the big picture. Now when it snows and they cut our bids I don't have to answer the phone. When extra OT is offered I can turn it down. Weekends are not for making extra money, they are for R&R. Too many get in over their heads and will never get out.

True words of wisdom that few will ever know or understand. This is how I have lived my life. Now I have my sins as does anyone else but I kept things under control. At 56 I have my house paid off and am debt free. Bought two brand new cars in my life all others were used and all were driven to their graves by me. Many times I have been called cheap by those who will go to their graves in debt. I just shrugged them off, that's OK I see the big picture. Now when it snows and they cut our bids I don't have to answer the phone. When extra OT is offered I can turn it down. Weekends are not for making extra money, they are for R&R. Too many get in over their heads and will never get out.
My home is also paid for and my 2 cars and truck as well. I was able to pay cash for my wife's 2013 Hyundai from money that we have saved over the years. ( last new car we will ever buy) I have 2 credit cards that I pay off ever month ....A.E. and BOA Visa cash rewards card. No gas credit cards...No Department store cards. No other cards at all. I'm almost 59 and work because I want to not because I have to. My wife is 52 and covers me on her Health care so I'm covered there and she has a substantial 401K ( she has been on her job for 25 years and very locked in) I struggled much of my life living pay check to pay check and have sacrificed so many things to be where I am today. I am now working with my brother in his plumbing business that our Father started in 1955. ( I work in the office) I pray that the Lord blesses me and my wife with health that we may live the rest of our lives in quality that we may spend it with my 4 children and 5 grand children with the time that remains from his grace. Right now our family has our health and I feel so blessed and grateful for that more than anything else. Because as most people know without your health you have nothing.

I'm only 28 and I am the same way. I am going cableless starting March and Ill only use the internet at school. COnsidering getting rid of my cellphone and getting a prepaid cell. Last 2.5 yrs I worked at Con-way I saved 40% of every paycheck. Still havent touched a red cent from my last 7 month deployment to Afghanistan in 2011 nor my tax returns for the last 5 years. Sitting on about 80K cash in the bank. The guys at work couldnt understand why I was the first to volunteer to pass my run. An extra night I can sleep in my own bed, sign me up! There are guys no matter what time I'd come in they'd be on the dock. One younger guy is getting a divorce soon. Funny, how life works. I dont wish that stuff on anyone, but this guy was below me and he used to hang outwith the TM outside of work. I'd get skipped for the gravy runs and he would end up getting them or he got to leave the reship early. Last my friend said he was getting fired for missing too many days of work. hahaha. Only mistep I made, I let some girl talk me into buying a new car. Damn women!! First new car I bought and it will probably be the last.

Listen to Train and ABF'er....words of wisdom. I could have learned more financial responsibilty a few years earlier, but its not too late. So I am happy where I am at now.

Best advice I could ever give anyone is don't let a woman influence your financial decisions. I'm 31 and have already been divorced and through bankruptcy. Not blaming it all on my ex, but a good majority of the debt we accrued over our 7 years together was from her.

That's the biggest problem nowadays is everyone wants to have nice stuff to keep up with the Joneses, even if they can't afford it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

From why would anybody work here as a topic to how I should manage my finances and feel good or feel bad stories is really and truly OFF TOPIC.:Off-Topic:

From why would anybody work here as a topic to how I should manage my finances and feel good or feel bad stories is really and truly OFF TOPIC.:Off-Topic:

Well obviously the only reasons anyone would work there are: either they are out of options or just plain stupid. Which one are you, cupcake??

I'm just trying to be helpful to my younger brothers. Many don't need help and that's fine. If your not here to be part of the solutions then your part of the problem. As far as being off topic for the most part most all threads take on a life of their own. Staying on topic is next to impossible. I find you are being a bit defensive cupcake.

I'm just trying to be helpful to my younger brothers. Many don't need help and that's fine. If your not here to be part of the solutions then your part of the problem. As far as being off topic for the most part most all threads take on a life of their own. Staying on topic is next to impossible. I find you are being a bit defensive cupcake.

He gets mad when we are on-topic too (talking about how Central sucks the big one) and gets mad when we are off topic. Hell, maybe he's really a woman... lmao

Well said by everyone on this topic. Financial stability and health are the keys to life. If you can, get out of Central and put your time in somewhere else, do it when you can. Try one of the carriers that got 90% of the Vitran freight, all Matty did was fatten up the competition for his beloved GM service freight that no one wanted anyway.This company is not the normal of this business.

I wonder who got all the Vitran freight? Having never worked there, I don't know what accounts they had. I used to haul car parts with a NationaLease company for a while, and you're right, no decent company wants that garbage....

thanks for your service
I'm only 28 and I am the same way. I am going cableless starting March and Ill only use the internet at school. COnsidering getting rid of my cellphone and getting a prepaid cell. Last 2.5 yrs I worked at Con-way I saved 40% of every paycheck. Still havent touched a red cent from my last 7 month deployment to Afghanistan in 2011 nor my tax returns for the last 5 years. Sitting on about 80K cash in the bank. The guys at work couldnt understand why I was the first to volunteer to pass my run. An extra night I can sleep in my own bed, sign me up! There are guys no matter what time I'd come in they'd be on the dock. One younger guy is getting a divorce soon. Funny, how life works. I dont wish that stuff on anyone, but this guy was below me and he used to hang outwith the TM outside of work. I'd get skipped for the gravy runs and he would end up getting them or he got to leave the reship early. Last my friend said he was getting fired for missing too many days of work. hahaha. Only mistep I made, I let some girl talk me into buying a new car. Damn women!! First new car I bought and it will probably be the last.

Listen to Train and ABF'er....words of wisdom. I could have learned more financial responsibilty a few years earlier, but its not too late. So I am happy where I am at now.

Sorry for the oversight CC and Thank You for your service that enables us all to live free.

I third that. Thank you for your service CenturyClass I hope you came out of it all ok, both mentally and physically. I know it is no picnic over there.