TForce | Why???

BusterNite

TB Legend
Credits
Why is it, That on your (Yard Control Safety Procedures Certification Test) Question # 20 Drivers must remove the vehicle's ignition key prior to exiting the cab and walking to the rear of the trailer for inspection with the EXCEPTION of "new" Volvo tractors.
TRUE OR FALSE The answer is true. WHY????

BUT, in your UPS Freight safety compliance alignment yard control booklet it says,
Rule # 6 Employee's authorized to drive vehicles in the yard are required to take the ignition keys with them whenever they leave the vehicle. Not applicable to sleeper teams while driver is in the vehicle.

So, Whats up??? Why is this conflicting and contradicting. Whats the difference with a "new" Volvo. Or is this just a mistake with this well planned out safety program. It also would have been nice to have all the Information regarding policy rules. Because some of the test questions rules are not at all in the UPSF safety compliance alignment yard control booklet.

Why is it, That on your (Yard Control Safety Procedures Certification Test) Question # 20 Drivers must remove the vehicle's ignition key prior to exiting the cab and walking to the rear of the trailer for inspection with the EXCEPTION of "new" Volvo tractors.
TRUE OR FALSE The answer is true. WHY????

BUT, in your UPS Freight safety compliance alignment yard control booklet it says,
Rule # 6 Employee's authorized to drive vehicles in the yard are required to take the ignition keys with them whenever they leave the vehicle. Not applicable to sleeper teams while driver is in the vehicle.

So, Whats up??? Why is this conflicting and contradicting. Whats the difference with a "new" Volvo. Or is this just a mistake with this well planned out safety program. It also would have been nice to have all the Information regarding policy rules. Because some of the test questions rules are not at all in the UPSF safety compliance alignment yard control booklet.

Because on the newer Volvos the lights shut off with the key so you would not be able to check the lights on your trailers.

BusterNite if you drive a new Volvo,and want to go by the letter of the OHSA yard laws,you could have your TM sit behind the wheel while your doing your pre-trip.
As long as he doesn't move your tractor he doesn't need a CDL to just sit there.

But all kidding aside the new Volvos are the exception to the keys in the ignition.

Maybe OHSA needs to go after Vovlo for this unsafe condition on their tractors?

Because on the newer Volvos the lights shut off with the key so you would not be able to check the lights on your trailers.

I got a newer Volvo a 12 series. If you put your parking lights on. They will work even without the key. That is what I do when I do my pretrip.

There is no book on these new yard rules.
Your service center TM,and UPS Freight safety trainer are to do all the training.
And follow up over seeing to make sure everyone is doing it the way UPS wants us to do.

there a very short time to get everything going right,a little grace period.
Then with my north eastern reigon the deadly date is May 1st.
Anytime after that if as little as one rule is not followed.
You will have a heart to heart talk with your TM.
If you should mess up after your talk,then you will get a write up that will go in your personal file.

I don't even want to say what will happen to you after that.
But I asure you it won't be good!

There is no book on these new yard rules.
Your service center TM,and UPS Freight safety trainer are to do all the training.
And follow up over seeing to make sure everyone is doing it the way UPS wants us to do.

there a very short time to get everything going right,a little grace period.
Then with my north eastern reigon the deadly date is May 1st.
Anytime after that if as little as one rule is not followed.
You will have a heart to heart talk with your TM.
If you should mess up after your talk,then you will get a write up that will go in your personal file.

I don't even want to say what will happen to you after that.
But I asure you it won't be good!

Managment gave me a booklet called (UPS Freight Safety Compliance Alignment Yard Control) and also gave me a test sheet to be taken after reading the Compliance booklet. And the test had to be a score of 100% If you fail they take away your green vest and orange cone and will give you a clown suit.:hysterical: Not kidding on the booklet and test sheet though.

I got a newer Volvo a 12 series. If you put your parking lights on. They will work even without the key. That is what I do when I do my pretrip.

I have an 11 series Volvo and I checked it. All the lights work with no keys in the ignition.

Are they talking about the 2007 models?

If not this still brings me back to my first question, WHY??? It seems as though not to many drivers have read this booklet and taken this test yet.

I have an 11 series Volvo and I checked it. All the lights work with no keys in the ignition.

Are they talking about the 2007 models?

If not this still brings me back to my first question, WHY??? It seems as though not to many drivers have read this booklet and taken this test yet.

I have an 11 series volvo, and the hazards work only, on 2 of the 4, 12 series in the yard, all the lights work without the key's in the ignition 2 ,10 series, both with out the key's in the ignition. I am not going too ask, nor am I going to write thing's up for the soimple fact , I fear what the outcome will be..

Your the driver,driver,its your job,on the line after the date that Ups has to start the zero tolerence,on breaking any of these new yard rules.
If it doesn't work,get it fixed.
If you can't get it fixed don't drive it.
They can rent you a tractor untill yours gets fixed.
If your TM trys to give you the business over your need to be safe.
Then you need to call the safety department in your region.
They will be able to help your TM get with the program.

All these rules aren't coming from UPS but OHSA,and I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone getting a heavy fine,because I either wouldn't or couldn't obey any of these yard rules.

A word to the wise should be enough.
Either get with it,or get out,this is how its going to be after that magic date of zero tolerence.

Your the driver,driver,its your job,on the line after the date that Ups has to start the zero tolerence,on breaking any of these new yard rules.
If it doesn't work,get it fixed.
If you can't get it fixed don't drive it.
They can rent you a tractor untill yours gets fixed.
If your TM trys to give you the business over your need to be safe.
Then you need to call the safety department in your region.
They will be able to help your TM get with the program.

All these rules aren't coming from UPS but OHSA,and I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone getting a heavy fine,because I either wouldn't or couldn't obey any of these yard rules.

A word to the wise should be enough.
Either get with it,or get out,this is how its going to be after that magic date of zero tolerence.

I think these rules are coming from UPS only as a negotiation with OSHA. Just go through the motions to keep OSHA off the company's back. These are company rules, Not OSHA rules.:smilie_132: