ODFL | Wild Board

flybynite

TB Legend
Credits
I got a question I'd like to throw out there, it really doesn't concern me but there is some questions being raised by a couple of the guys on the wild board. Do other terminals run their board on a first in, first out basis, or is it ran by seniority on who is sitting at home? What is the official OD rule on this or is it determined by each terminal?

Don't have a wild board at the terminal. We run a straight L/H,P&D, anything extra is extra. There are times we can run weekends. This has to be approved by the TM, then and only if Central has freight............... Hope to run this weekend, taxes are killing us in the Northeast.

Different terminals different rules apparently. My terminal if your wild you leave when you want (if theres freight) come back the same. as long as you don't take 4 weeks off like one guy tried your good.

Most of the wild guys out in the NW here dont seem to know that we have actual wild OTR type drivers gone from home over a week. Most just go out for the night or lay down just once and are back at the terminal. Here it's been trying to give all wild guys an equal amount of work since they want to be home daily while the guys with some senority get the longer trips.

I got a question I'd like to throw out there, it really doesn't concern me but there is some questions being raised by a couple of the guys on the wild board. Do other terminals run their board on a first in, first out basis, or is it ran by seniority on who is sitting at home? What is the official OD rule on this or is it determined by each terminal?

The official OD rule #1 is there are no written official rules, any question always revert to rule #1. Any violation of an official rule may result in termination, but then again it may not.

For the most part, it does make sense to stay out if you can. It all depends on how freight is moving, and what you personally want to do. If there is plenty of freight moving out of your term, then I guess you can come home anytime you like, with confidence that you'll get moving again soon. If it's slow like now, it's best to stay out as long as possible before they make you come home, since you know you'll probably be there for awhile. It also depends on how hard you personally want to work. Some drivers seriously dislike being away from home, so for them I guess that is more important than having steady work. Every case is different though.

For the most part, it does make sense to stay out if you can. It all depends on how freight is moving, and what you personally want to do. If there is plenty of freight moving out of your term, then I guess you can come home anytime you like, with confidence that you'll get moving again soon. If it's slow like now, it's best to stay out as long as possible before they make you come home, since you know you'll probably be there for awhile. It also depends on how hard you personally want to work. Some drivers seriously dislike being away from home, so for them I guess that is more important than having steady work. Every case is different though.

At our terminal we are discouraged from staying out. A couple of drivers have asked to bag due to slowdown. They were told o.k., but only during the weekend. They were told to be back and available to run Mon-Fri....even though we are sitting 4-6 drivers home a night.