ODFL | "Wild card" driver at the Albuquerque terminal.

bentstrider83

TB Lurker
Credits
I recently got called by one of the managers that covers the El Paso/ABQ region about coming in for an interview at the OD terminal in ABQ next week. When he mentioned getting on as a "wildcard" driver, I knew it was presumably the extraboard thing that alot of LTL companies do.
Coming off of the milk hauling thing in Clovis, I'm ready to do something a little different and getting my foot in the door here would be a great start.
But like all potential job prospects, how often does their Albuquerque terminal work as far as the extraboard, line-haul goes? My current job loading milk tankers and shuttling pre-loaded trailers is about as hit and miss, $800/week as it could get.
If the OD linehaul extraboard pays more than what I'm scratching right now, I'm all over it.

I recently got called by one of the managers that covers the El Paso/ABQ region about coming in for an interview at the OD terminal in ABQ next week. When he mentioned getting on as a "wildcard" driver, I knew it was presumably the extraboard thing that alot of LTL companies do.
Coming off of the milk hauling thing in Clovis, I'm ready to do something a little different and getting my foot in the door here would be a great start.
But like all potential job prospects, how often does their Albuquerque terminal work as far as the extraboard, line-haul goes? My current job loading milk tankers and shuttling pre-loaded trailers is about as hit and miss, $800/week as it could get.
If the OD linehaul extraboard pays more than what I'm scratching right now, I'm all over it.
Not sure about Albuquerque. Up here, our extra board driver's are turning on their 10. Also some terminals the wild driver might be running out for a week. Last week I met a driver from Wisconsin, been out a few weeks. Ask questions. Make sure you have all the endorsements. Hazmat

The pay is much better than $800. The benefits are great also

Not sure about Albuquerque. Up here, our extra board driver's are turning on their 10. Also some terminals the wild driver might be running out for a week. Last week I met a driver from Wisconsin, been out a few weeks. Ask questions. Make sure you have all the endorsements. Hazmat

Not trying to step on any toes, but I've had all those endorsements forever. Kept them up and such. I just get a little miffed when asked about having those. It's like "what kind of moron doesn't keep their HAZMat and doubles?"
According to the guy I talked to, he made it seem quite solid. And if it's double the pay than the milk loading/hauling, than I'm definitely jumping at it.

Nothing like big money in a relatively low cost city.

Not trying to step on any toes, but I've had all those endorsements forever. Kept them up and such. I just get a little miffed when asked about having those. It's like "what kind of moron doesn't keep their HAZMat and doubles?"
According to the guy I talked to, he made it seem quite solid. And if it's double the pay than the milk loading/hauling, than I'm definitely jumping at it.

Nothing like big money in a relatively low cost city.
No I understand. Some people are not prepared. Go for it then. Best of luck

On my current schedule, my meet driver is out of ABQ... he says they stay pretty busy over there. I believe they only have a handful of wild guys so I'm sure you'd stay working. They have some big runs over there from what he tells me and half are on days. Good luck... I wouldn't hesitate to take the job if offered.

On my current schedule, my meet driver is out of ABQ... he says they stay pretty busy over there. I believe they only have a handful of wild guys so I'm sure you'd stay working. They have some big runs over there from what he tells me and half are on days. Good luck... I wouldn't hesitate to take the job if offered.

Sounds exciting. Be great to get back to a $1k+/week again. I just don't see the food grade tanking thing going much higher in pay.
Been loading/hauling milk for about five years now and the good runs don't last at all that long. With Indian River, I loaded a dairy out in Perryton TX five days a week and made $1000+/week for that ten month gig. Now it's just been a mixture of shuttling preloaded trailers and loaded multiple dairies a night. Pushing my 14 hour clock each day for $800/week is just ridiculous. Same deal when I worked previously doing the same thing at Ruan for three years.

As for working nights, I pretty much already do that as it is, so staying on nights is where I'll stick.

I can attest to that, they've got at least one turn that's over 700 miles. Had to borrow one of their tractors when I covered that one.

How do your wild drivers earn days off? Is it 2 days off for 5 worked? Do you earn more days off for more days worked?

I believe it varies terminal to terminal, but out west where I'm at, I worked till I was out of hours then reset. You may get that occasional day off during the week if it's slow, but it was never a "set" 2 days off running wild.

Sounds exciting. Be great to get back to a $1k+/week again. I just don't see the food grade tanking thing going much higher in pay.
Been loading/hauling milk for about five years now and the good runs don't last at all that long. With Indian River, I loaded a dairy out in Perryton TX five days a week and made $1000+/week for that ten month gig. Now it's just been a mixture of shuttling preloaded trailers and loaded multiple dairies a night. Pushing my 14 hour clock each day for $800/week is just ridiculous. Same deal when I worked previously doing the same thing at Ruan for three years.

As for working nights, I pretty much already do that as it is, so staying on nights is where I'll stick.

You'll def be back to $1k a week take home... I was easily making that running wild. I'm with you on working nights, I prefer it it as well. Take the job and don't look back man... the ABQ yard seems like a good one to work out of.

You'll def be back to $1k a week take home... I was easily making that running wild. I'm with you on working nights, I prefer it it as well. Take the job and don't look back man... the ABQ yard seems like a good one to work out of.

I could definitely deal with this schedule in order to get the time in. I typically like to take my resets/days off around Weds/Thurs as well.

I could definitely deal with this schedule in order to get the time in. I typically like to take my resets/days off around Weds/Thurs as well.

Yup, the wild schedule can be all over the place, but when you see those checks every Thursday morning, it makes it worth it. My meet guy in ABQ has been with OD for around 3 years, and he's been on a set schedule for about 2.5 of them... so you prob wouldn't have to stay wild for too long unless that's what you chose to do.

Yup, the wild schedule can be all over the place, but when you see those checks every Thursday morning, it makes it worth it. My meet guy in ABQ has been with OD for around 3 years, and he's been on a set schedule for about 2.5 of them... so you prob wouldn't have to stay wild for too long unless that's what you chose to do.

This is just sounding too good each time. I figured it would be easier to relocate to a job within the state for now as well. Don't have to worry about switching my license over or anything crazy like that. I also checked out where the terminal is located and it seems close enough to some apartments that a bicycle commute is quite ideal.(ride back and forth to work out here in Clovis)
I almost took a deal with OD up in Commerce City CO, but the CA-style apartment and home prices made me rethink that!!
I also want to get my pickup truck paid off a little quicker as well. Due to some misguided decisions, I've got $54k to work down.

This is just sounding too good each time. I figured it would be easier to relocate to a job within the state for now as well. Don't have to worry about switching my license over or anything crazy like that. I also checked out where the terminal is located and it seems close enough to some apartments that a bicycle commute is quite ideal.(ride back and forth to work out here in Clovis)
I almost took a deal with OD up in Commerce City CO, but the CA-style apartment and home prices made me rethink that!!
I also want to get my pickup truck paid off a little quicker as well. Due to some misguided decisions, I've got $54k to work down.

Yep that makes it much easier. Don't blame you for reconsidering the CO move, prices are crazy up there. Sounds like one hell of a nice truck lol, but with minimal other expenses you should be able to get it paid down nicely. Keep us updated to how things go.

For sure. Just got to keep at my regular job until I find out what happens after the face-to-face next week. Of course I went into my regular work on my night off and found the other guy I work with still hanging around at the yard waiting for loaded trailers to come in for cheeseplant delivery.
That pretty much tears it out here :(