ODFL | Wild position

dlance71

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys, I am wondering what is the "wild" position and what is the average week for a driver like. I have an opening and I am debating on taking it if no one else wants it. Thanks

A wild driver works when they need you. Could be 6 days/nights a week or it could be none...all depends on freight levels. You won't have a set start time or obviously a set run every night. You are not exempt from having to do a layover if thats what they need you to do. I personally like the variety of runs I get but not having a set schedule is tough on the family, not to mention you don't know what you can rely on week to week for pay. I don't want to sound like i'm complaining here because i'm not. If it's available, be willing to get qualified for triples and rockies. This is beneficial because they will send you out into a triples lane before they send someone who isn't certified, at least that is how it works at my barn. Hope this helps.

Are you gone all week or are you home every morning, I know there may not be a specific answer, but I have an 8yr old and my wife to consider, but also need the money right now. I appreciate the answer before, take care and be safe

2fast4u gave a pretty good answer,we have wild drivers that stay out for a couple of weeks,and others that rarely do layovers,especially at larger terminals they cover vacations,sick days,for bid drivers and extra runs to handle freight surges,generally the guys that stay out will have a higher yearly income because of steadier work,once you learn how to work the system even a first year driver that runs hard can make more than 65k in a year,a three year man(full wage)more than 80k.As for your workweek here's an example of my average week,when I ran wild, I'd usually start out on a thursday evening and head to Denver(521mi-8.25hrs)take a 10hr.break,then dispatch to Salt Lake(508mi-8.25hrs)take another 10hr break then head for Sacremento(635mi-10.75hrs)10 hours of rest then head for home on the same schedule,when I got back to Wichita usually the following tuesday for my 34 hr break I'd work a little less than 60hrs.and put almost 3300 miles under my wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your terminal. Some wild positions are basically extra board, others do as DayliteDean posted. Myself, haven't been sent home before requested time off in over a year, except for a drive through. More flexible the more options, terminals/central know who will cover whatever is needed. I stay out 3 to 8 weeks and have run in all 48 states. Some stay out months at a time. It's all give and take in the wild position.

ok thanks guys I appreciate the help I can use the money, but I am not sure I want to be gone that much. I have until 4pm tomorrow to answer the posting, they also have a P&D opening just come up so I will consider everything to night and make my decision. Thanks a lot and be safe