ODFL | Will Dracut terminal hire a New Hampshirite? also: cpm?

northeasterner

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi there all,
new to this forum, someone over at truckersreport told me to report here cuz you all have a better rundown on ltl and linehaul type stuff... certainly seems you do, what with the dedicated company-specific boards and all...

I'm 9 months solo, work for eastern freightways but running linehaul for nemf which is the sister company, realizing that the 38cpm I get will go up to 40cpm, then stop while the nemf guys get 53ish cpm... and no you can't switch otherwise I'd be looking to do that...

I heard od is good, did my research, two main questions:

1. cpm start and finish? does anyone know the payscale? I found only a few posts on the web... it said low 50s to start and low 60s max after a few years... sounds good. called them, of course they "don't talk pay up front". Other companies advertise it right on the truck, but I guess ODFL is... well, does it depend on experience?

2. I'm in manchester, nh about 90 mins from the nh odfl terminal BUT only 30mins from the dracut, ma terminal. would they hire me on?

any other info about odfl would be cool... from what I gather and see of them out on the road it's a lotta doubles, some guys are back every night, others a few times a week... not much sitting aorund... do linehaul guys work the docks or is that just p&d?

would I be dumb to do p&d? I was doing otr for eastern before I switched to linehaul... never touched a pallet, not once. so they'd have you sit around and around... but local guys get hourly, right?

I'm not very strong... I kinda hate exerting myself physically, actually. but then again it's all electronic jacks and you're using equipment, right?

learning to operate a forklift would be useful. what's p&d even pay? honestly the cities... I can handle cities, it just kinda scares me to death at times because, ironically I'm kinda dumb at navigation... I'm good at just holding the wheel for hours and hours and once I've run a route 20 times it's in my head... but I'm not one of those people with a photographic, "did it once and remember it", memory. I've gone into NYC dozens of times in my 9 months of driving and each time I seem to get lost... I make it there, but I do get kinda lost...

I know this is a lotta thoughts... just wanted to throw it all out there since I *seem* to be in the right forum to ask this.

Hi there all,
new to this forum, someone over at truckersreport told me to report here cuz you all have a better rundown on ltl and linehaul type stuff... certainly seems you do, what with the dedicated company-specific boards and all...

I'm 9 months solo, work for eastern freightways but running linehaul for nemf which is the sister company, realizing that the 38cpm I get will go up to 40cpm, then stop while the nemf guys get 53ish cpm... and no you can't switch otherwise I'd be looking to do that...

I heard od is good, did my research, two main questions:

1. cpm start and finish? does anyone know the payscale? I found only a few posts on the web... it said low 50s to start and low 60s max after a few years... sounds good. called them, of course they "don't talk pay up front". Other companies advertise it right on the truck, but I guess ODFL is... well, does it depend on experience?

2. I'm in manchester, nh about 90 mins from the nh odfl terminal BUT only 30mins from the dracut, ma terminal. would they hire me on?

any other info about odfl would be cool... from what I gather and see of them out on the road it's a lotta doubles, some guys are back every night, others a few times a week... not much sitting aorund... do linehaul guys work the docks or is that just p&d?

would I be dumb to do p&d? I was doing otr for eastern before I switched to linehaul... never touched a pallet, not once. so they'd have you sit around and around... but local guys get hourly, right?

I'm not very strong... I kinda hate exerting myself physically, actually. but then again it's all electronic jacks and you're using equipment, right?

learning to operate a forklift would be useful. what's p&d even pay? honestly the cities... I can handle cities, it just kinda scares me to death at times because, ironically I'm kinda dumb at navigation... I'm good at just holding the wheel for hours and hours and once I've run a route 20 times it's in my head... but I'm not one of those people with a photographic, "did it once and remember it", memory. I've gone into NYC dozens of times in my 9 months of driving and each time I seem to get lost... I make it there, but I do get kinda lost...

I know this is a lotta thoughts... just wanted to throw it all out there since I *seem* to be in the right forum to ask this.
With 9 months experience it will be hard to get on at OD without them wanting you to go thru there school.Do you have double & hazmat-tanker endorsements??

Linehaul is almost all doubles.. Starting pay should be about 57 cpm although OD used to pay about.02 cpm more for Northeast running (guessing that's still a thing) top scale after two years employment is slightly more than 65 cpm. They aren't going to have a problem with you living in NH..Nor does linehaul generally do dockwork .

So I need to wait a few more months until I have a year of experience.

I don't have any endorsements yet for my class A. Nemf seems to run mostly 53 Footers for linehaul, doubles are rare, hazmat is common.

There is discussion somewhere about how Regional linehaul outfits used to mostly do 53-foot singles, I'm not sure why, but it might have used to be more of a thing going by what these people were saying.

I'm still trying to get used to working nights. But once I get the hang of that I'll look into getting Hazmat, and then doubles... that should set me up nicely.

Pay seems very good, btw.

How many miles a night are you expected to run? 4-500?

We hire some of the fattest nastiest line drivers with filthy sweatpants out there. Ain’t seeing no reason they would not take no chance on you if pork butt can get behind the wheel.
Come on, us Northwest boys know who you’re talking about. Don’t forget land speed record holders, breaking the yard speed limit. Y’all need to keep the north side clear Billy, so I can see how fast I can do the quarter mile in. Good to hear from you.

So I need to wait a few more months until I have a year of experience.

I don't have any endorsements yet for my class A. Nemf seems to run mostly 53 Footers for linehaul, doubles are rare, hazmat is common.

There is discussion somewhere about how Regional linehaul outfits used to mostly do 53-foot singles, I'm not sure why, but it might have used to be more of a thing going by what these people were saying.

I'm still trying to get used to working nights. But once I get the hang of that I'll look into getting Hazmat, and then doubles... that should set me up nicely.

Pay seems very good, btw.

How many miles a night are you expected to run? 4-500?
OD will not even talk till you have doubles & hazmat endorsement.I believe at least 12 months experience.

Come on, us Northwest boys know who you’re talking about. Don’t forget land speed record holders, breaking the yard speed limit. Y’all need to keep the north side clear Billy, so I can see how fast I can do the quarter mile in. Good to hear from you.

If OD won't hire you, Billy will, he's adding a box sleeper and overdrive on Flyby's zero turn,
don't forget about the 15% pay reduction.

I believe that the tanker endorsement came about by a change of regulations. DOT or something. I remember awhile back everyone was scrambling to get their’s.

Reactions: Ump
I believe that the tanker endorsement came about by a change of regulations. DOT or something. I remember awhile back everyone was scrambling to get their’s.

We were required to have it over 30 years ago, to haul some type bladder in the trailer , I don't recall ever pulling
one of them.