TForce | Will going union generate more freight?

That's my point exactly. we can ulaod a trailer so fast it will make your head spin.
Making 22 times that of a freight rated truck.

UPS hubs all over the country have other carriers show up every night to deliver other customers frieght into the UPS parcel system.
Certain customers have contract to nmove freight with certain carriers and those carriers bring the customersd freight to us for final transport and delivery. Nothing new, always been that way.

Is a freight barn going to be able to strip a floor load of 2000-3000 parcels and sort them and re-ship them in a timely manner. NOT!!!

UPS is not going to sacrifice it repreation by cutting service. Not even on one package.
UPS treats every package as if it was the only one. Its service that built this company not discounted rates.

It is possible to lower the cost by utilizing both companies together though. It isn't a huge loss to ups but it could be a substantial difference to an ltl company. Surprising how Fedex hasn't tried to do it given so much business they could gain without overloading their smaller capacity.

T251, I will let you in on a secret but you can't tell anyone.

We are already doing it. Also this freight is same day delivery.

I am sure you guys can unload a 53 footer pretty fast, but no where close to as fast as a forklift unloading a pallet. We can strip a 53 footer in 15 minuites. And that is just 1 person. Not the 3 or 4 it takes to unload, sort, preload.

I have been to accounts where there is a UPS package guy there loading a 28ft pup he has to scan every package he loads on there he is there 2 hours, then wharehouse has to unload it sort reload all by hand.

When I pull up I can cube out my 28 ft pup and be out of there in 20 mins. This account does not have a dock. Once I return to the terminal A dock worker can unload 12 pallets 5-10 mins.

Moving pallets at a time is faster than moving package at a time.

UPS saves money by having the shipper do the labor by palletizing the freight where possible.

Your Customers Dont Come Out When You Arrive At There Dock To See Your Pretty Brown Truck,what They Will See Is When You Cry Babies Vote The Union In And Have To Start A Pickett Line And The Customers Are Not Getting There Freight Because Of It I Bet They Will Remember That. With The Condition That Yrc,new Holland,abf, Is In You Guys Vote The Union In You Will Be The Only Ones Left To Support It I See You Union Dues Hitting The Ceiling. My Old Man Worked For Overnite Almost 40 Years And He Told Me Years Ago That There Would Only Be A Few Companies Left And They Would Not Be Union And What He Said Looks To Becoming True.

I have been to accounts where there is a UPS package guy there loading a 28ft pup he has to scan every package he loads on there he is there 2 hours, then wharehouse has to unload it sort reload all by hand.

When I pull up I can cube out my 28 ft pup and be out of there in 20 mins. This account does not have a dock. Once I return to the terminal A dock worker can unload 12 pallets 5-10 mins.

Was this on a sales call? Anyways, I thought you were a road driver.

Is a freight barn going to be able to strip a floor load of 2000-3000 parcels and sort them and re-ship them in a timely manner. NOT!!!

UPS is not going to sacrifice it repreation by cutting service. Not even on one package.
UPS treats every package as if it was the only one. Its service that built this company not discounted rates.

What the hell are we arguing about? Obviously, package will handle the packages and freight will handle the freight. That's logical. We have forklifts, you have conveyors.

The question was whether or not we'll see more freight after we're organized and some mentioned that being union will allow us on more docks.

It sounds to me like you're a little insecure about what UPS will do with their new, cheaper labor.

And what the hell is a repreation?

We have a pilot program right now with Parcels single biggest account, we are also rolling out a new service called desktop delivery where we pick up a single pallet and deliver the pallet to a building and break down the pallet and take each box to a different person n that building. This is an account parcel is servicing right now.

I can bet most P&D drivers would prefer parcel to keep accounts like that.

Your Customers Dont Come Out When You Arrive At There Dock To See Your Pretty Brown Truck,what They Will See Is When You Cry Babies Vote The Union In And Have To Start A Pickett Line And The Customers Are Not Getting There Freight Because Of It I Bet They Will Remember That. With The Condition That Yrc,new Holland,abf, Is In You Guys Vote The Union In You Will Be The Only Ones Left To Support It I See You Union Dues Hitting The Ceiling. My Old Man Worked For Overnite Almost 40 Years And He Told Me Years Ago That There Would Only Be A Few Companies Left And They Would Not Be Union And What He Said Looks To Becoming True.

What? You don't need to capitalize every word. It makes it impossible to read.

And who said anything about a strike?

It is possible to lower the cost by utilizing both companies together though. It isn't a huge loss to ups but it could be a substantial difference to an ltl company. Surprising how Fedex hasn't tried to do it given so much business they could gain without overloading their smaller capacity.

So you take a huge lose at a multi-billion dollar company to creat a profit of seemingly smaller proportions at a smaller company, ya that makes business sense.

If FedEx thought it was a good business move I'm pretty sure they would've done it already.

Why hasn't YRC combined Yellow and Roadway yet? Or Holland and New Penn.

T251, I will let you in on a secret but you can't tell anyone.

We are already doing it. Also this freight is same day delivery.

I am sure you guys can unload a 53 footer pretty fast, but no where close to as fast as a forklift unloading a pallet. We can strip a 53 footer in 15 minuites. And that is just 1 person. Not the 3 or 4 it takes to unload, sort, preload.

Moving pallets at a time is faster than moving package at a time.

UPS saves money by having the shipper do the labor by palletizing the freight where possible.

I'd love to see a freight stripper you can strip in 15 minutes. I'm sure all your skids arrived intact and they fly to the dock space taht can accomadate 24 pallets with out even seperating or sorting and bills or freight. But I'm sure you goingt o convince me that you put those 24 plus skids on their peddle units loaaded neatly and in the right sequence.

Gibe me a break, I worked fr4eight almost 20 yrs your only fooling yourself.

And you are still not grasping the revenue concept either.

22 times the revenue is generated from one parcel pup compared to one 53 ft freight wagon. That means 22 53 footers must be unlaoded compared to one pup to equal the same revenue (that's money incase you don't what revenue is)

What the hell are we arguing about? Obviously, package will handle the packages and freight will handle the freight. That's logical. We have forklifts, you have conveyors.

The question was whether or not we'll see more freight after we're organized and some mentioned that being union will allow us on more docks.

It sounds to me like you're a little insecure about what UPS will do with their new, cheaper labor.

And what the hell is a repreation?

REPUTATION.................sorry for the spelling error Mr perfect

T251, not to continue this bickering, but I think the 22x the revenue is a little misleading as there is likely 14x the labor involved in handling that same trailer as well. If the 22x were truly accurate, then you guys would be making 22x what we make, or about $484 an hour. And if that local 251 you're so proud of were worth anything, they'd surely do a hell of a lot better than getting you the lousy $28 that you get.

Perhaps there's more to the story than you're letting on to.

The union isn't going to be the magic bullet everybody is looking for.
Its basicly protection,or representation by an outside organization on your behalf.
Which staying non-union offers you very little,if anything in the protection department.

Now if they want to boot you for some trumpt up charge what can you do about it?
When your a Teamster you have someone to speak up for you.

T251, not to continue this bickering, but I think the 22x the revenue is a little misleading as there is likely 14x the labor involved in handling that same trailer as well. If the 22x were truly accurate, then you guys would be making 22x what we make, or about $484 an hour. And if that local 251 you're so proud of were worth anything, they'd surely do a hell of a lot better than getting you the lousy $28 that you get.

Perhaps there's more to the story than you're letting on to.

Last time I check our wages weren't based on UPS's rates or profit margin.

Our wages are based on the employement market and our negioted contract and UPS's profit are based on their service and rates.

How many times more is our (parcel) profit over Freight?

And just so you know it takes two workers to unload that floor load parcel trailer not 14.
Maybe another half dozen to direct the whole sort (75-100 trailers)

An you assumtion that I'm so proud of Local 251 is a misconception. Ironically I'm a member of 251 but my screen name, one I've held on this board from it infancy in '99 has always been Teamster 251, even when I was a member of Local 653. The 251 means something entirely different.

BTW I'll take my lousy $28.93 over anything else that offered in this indusrty.
Let's not forget the $14.00 plus for bennies and pension. That $43.39 for OT is pretty sweet too.

My freight days are over, no more two wheeling 300# piece goods, broken pallet jacks, dusty chemical coated trailer floors, snow and salt dripping off roll up doors, pissy receivers, even pissyer shippers, missed appt, waarehouse sort and segs or dim-witted dispatchers.

Enjoy the weekend............my beer is getting warm and my woman is getting hot (cuz I'm hitting the keys and not her)

T251

My freight days are over, no more two wheeling 300# piece goods, broken pallet jacks, dusty chemical coated trailer floors, snow and salt dripping off roll up doors, pissy receivers, even pissyer shippers, missed appt, waarehouse sort and segs or dim-witted dispatchers.

T251

Thats what this industry is like in a nutshell. Freight definately gets into your blood.....so doesn't the dust, chemical residue, diesel fumes and waffing smell of fresh made doughnuts.

Being union has nothingto do with "touching" a parcel account. The fact taht you're afreight company band not set up as a parcel compnay is the rteason.

This has been discussed a million times here. Freight and Parcel are Apples and Oranges.

Ever see a 48 foot parcel feeder unloaded?

Do you know the revenue involved generated by a parcel load?

You could not service a parcel laod at a freight barn and you cold not service freight laod at a parcel hub.

Pricing and service is the largest factor involved in freight levels.

Shiny trucks don't put fright on trucks service does.

Unions don't put freight on trucks union drivers supplying a service put freight on trucks.

YOU DO NOT HAVE PARCEL ACCOUNTS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A PARCEL CARRIER.

It takes on an average 1 to q1/2 hours to empty a full 48 ft parcel load. The revemue genearted is wellover 22 times that of a freight trailer. That's how UPS maked over 12Billion in progfit on a yearly basis.

Worry about how well the working conditions and your voice in the company that the union will bring over how many more palletts of frieht you are going to get. That will come on it own.

Preform to the best of you ability, be a good com[pany and union emloyee and let the frieght levels be the problem of those that get paid to worry about them

Change is coming for all of us... :biglaugh:

This is just my opinion but right now we can't touch parcel accounts becuase were a non union carrier. If were union the company hs the option of shiftinf some of that to us.

Currently when a UPS driver takes a pup to a customer he loads it floor stacked, UPS is paying for the labor, if we go there it would have to be on a pallet the shipper would be paying for the labor.

I see cost savings here, how long does it take a parcel package handler to unload a whole floor stacked pup? What about an freight dockworker where everything is palletized 4 times faster? That is 1/4 the labor cost.

You just might be right Overnite. Our new jackets are coming brown now. :biglaugh: