Estes | With Estes, truthfully what is a utility driver? What is starting pay per mile/hour?

MUSCLETRUCKER

TB Lurker
Credits
Greetings all!! I'm trying to get truthful information on the utility work over there. I currently have over an hour commute one way to work every night now at my current job . The Estes barn that is only 15miles away from my home has an opening for 2 utility drivers now. It's a rather small terminal, only about 20 doors. Can anyone tell me what is the starting pay of this position? Weighing my options on if its worth it or not. Tired of driving an hour to and from work daily to run a 466 mile schedule. I'm figuring I'd average the same money after I factor in commute and gas cost. All info is appreciated

I drive almost 2 hours to work for a run with less miles than that. Utility is no less pay, your paid for the job you do. You are always on call. You can run extraboard on utility and be gone all week. They mostly fill in for schedules at a big barn. Starting pay around $20 or around .50 millage. I think

Utility is a wild job. You work city, Linehaul, dock, hub, or jockey depending on the need. Starting mileage pay is .4735 with .0125 increases every 6 months for 3 years. City is hourly and starts somewhere around 19 or 20 and tops around 23. Dock and jockey pay is a little less.

It's not a bad job at a large terminal. I'd sure ask the terminal manager what all that job entailed before I left my other one.

Extraboard is different. Out 5, off 2. It also pays another half cent a mile.

Thank you drummerforhire for that tidbit. Well to inform yall a little more now. This barn had a TM to resign and it lost a salesman. Not sure what happened there. Anyway, the regional go is doing the hiring for now unil a new TM is hired. They have a new salesman hired. He just hasn't seen the terminal yet. After I met within to redirect this terminal and want ppl with ltl backgrounds that he feels can help this terminal grow as it should. With that being said this sounds like utility at this barn will consisit of every aspect of the business....IMO