Woman awarded $13 million after log truck accident

Wow that is a lot of money for pain therapy.
I surely can't relate what some body goes through in a violent crash,but a large cash settlement usually benefits the lawyers more than the victims in my opinion.

I seriously have an issue with this.They hit the truck and its the trucks fault?Courts really hate truckers.

I gotta disagree with you on this shadowr434.
Because I believe it is the lawyers who see dollar signs any time any commercial vehicles are involved in crashes.
They see trucking companies with deep pockets who they can attack if the companies are at fault or not.
We who drove truck,or are still driving know these ambulance chasers are looking to get all they can, seeing the going rates for law suites are clients 67% lawyer 33%

I seriously have an issue with this.They hit the truck and its the trucks fault?Courts really hate truckers.

The truck was making a U turn, it absolutely is ridiculous for a driver to do this especially with a rig. Also the fact that he was trying to avoid a scale, speaks volumes to me.

The truck was making a U turn, it absolutely is ridiculous for a driver to do this especially with a rig. Also the fact that he was trying to avoid a scale, speaks volumes to me.

He was making the U turn after he was caught by the police for avoiding the scales and told to go back.A big difference.Also,why is it ridiculous for us to make u turns if the road is wide enough to make the turn and the traffic is light? You never missed your turn before?

LOTS OF US have made u-turns in very unusual places since it IS just part of Driving Big Rigs.
For those that haven't made a u-turn or consider it ridiculous, y'all ain't drivers.

LOTS OF US have made u-turns in very unusual places since it IS just part of Driving Big Rigs.
For those that haven't made a u-turn or consider it ridiculous, y'all ain't drivers.

You cant be serious? read the story thats why you dont make a u turn! i will travel well out of my way for a safe place to turn around. Some kinda professional driver "y'all"

I DID READ the article sillie nillie willie, and fail to see where the Truck Driver was at fault for making a LEGAL U-TURN regardless that the state of Floriduh claimed it wasn't a Legal place for a U-Turn yet didn't have signage denoting such claim. The FACT that the Truck Driver attempted to avoid a Scalehouse doesn't demand he was at fault for the 4 wheeler slamming into his Trailer. There are not many Clearance Lights on Logging Trailers yet that alone doesn't mean the Truck Driver is/was at fault for the carelessness (or sleepiness?) of the 4 wheeler driver.
HOW was the FACT that the car passenger was not wearing her seat belt the Trucker Drivers' problem??
---
WHO set(s) the standard for being or not being serious??
---
A safe place to turn around is still effecting a U-Turn, regardless of distance traveled to seek such safe place.
Oftentimes seeking such safe place isn't feasible, but I'll figure you don't drive 2 lane roads or much at all (apart from needing to fuel and/or sleep) off Inter/Intrastates. :stirthepot:

Thank You for your support and keep the shiny side UP!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow i really wish i had seen this earlier. Ok so the truck driver is avoiding the scales because he knows he's not legal and yet its not his fault? Of course of course your one of those people who no matter what its not the truck drivers fault, always the cars. There are alot of truck drivers these days that have no damn business even being on the roads but hey its not your problem right? thats right its always someone else's fault. He should've never been there in the first place and we wouldn't be having this conversation, and for your info 580 miles a night 5 days a week and 450 of those miles on 2 lane road there super trucker so stop talking out our backside.....

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a message board for the enjoyment,entertainment,and news of the trucking industry.
It is like any other form of communication,with some topics sometimes no two people think the same.
We are all entitled to post our own opinions,on whatever we so desire as long as it isn't rude,crude,or obscene.

I myself do not always agree with some posters on these forums,however I just make the choice to ignore them to keep the peace.

Willie I am not getting after you,as I can see you are very passionate about your thoughts on this crash,which is your right to view this the way you do.
Although like I say please agree,or disagree with others and let it go,if I see any arguments in the making, I will have to delete this entire topic.
However if no more posts are made it will go the way of every other thread and disappear into the archives in a little while.
Thank you all for your cooperation,and understanding,life is much to short not to enjoy living it!

There are scales on US 287 in Texas just north of Childress on the southbound side. If your rolling northbound when they are open you have to U turn back south to enter and when you exit cross the southbound lanes to U turn back north. This is a divided 4 lane with turn arounds in the median. Crazy stuff!
2ntdbte.jpg

Thanks to all for all of your input on this crash.
It is interesting how we all see how some of these crashes happen,and the out come if we ever get to see updates.
As a safety trainer for UPS Freight one of my duties was to do crash followups.
I found in most cases,driver error was the cause,however in some cases medical,mechanical,and weather conditions also can be the cause.

I could be a rich man if I received a dollar for every time I told someone to be focused on what they are doing at all times.
The best advice I can offer drivers, is to make sure you are well rested.
In good health and alert before getting behind the steering wheel of any motor vehicle.
Always better to be safe then sorry.

It is obvious this was directed at me, so why not just say so? If you want to make a U- turn with the possibility of a car going under your trailer, then by all means do it. I for one do not want to live with the chance of me being to blame for a fatality.

So I guess you are the "driver" but I am the professional driver.

Professional is a term used by Training Schools to encourage People to become Drivers and it means NOTHING ELSE.
Can a Person become a Professional Carpenter, Electrician, Plumber, Welder, Mechanic, etc., without the REQUIRED time (Apprentice to Journeyman), so how the heck can anyone become a professional truck driver after a mere 2 weeks of training??
Doctors aren't even considered Professionals regardless of their Life commitment, because it's A PRACTICE, so go figure.

ANYONE (as we've been seeing by those of us paying attention) can learn to drive a 18 wheeler yet one becomes a TRUCK DRIVER through consideration of/for other Motorists, not merely oneself.
There USED TO BE Professionalism in Trucking (KNIGHTS of the Highways) but it DIED when the VETERAN TRUCK DRIVERS (like Apostolic) retired from Trucking.
THEY WERE THE PROFESSIONALS, we are merely shadows of their knowledge and experience.
They did MORE WITH LESS than we'll ever accomplish.
----
Yo, Willie,
Your right apostolic and won't happen again. Really isnt worth the time or aggrevation.
It's You're and aggravation.
---
Texas, like many states, had some stupid ideas in road(s) construction and those ideas are still functionally inferior.

When doing a REQUIRED U-turn for a Coop, if I'm hit by a vehicle (which would be interesting since I don't pull out in front of vehicles unless they're far enough away to allow the intended operation), IT'S THE FAULT OF THE STATE.

You cant be serious? read the story thats why you dont make a u turn! i will travel well out of my way for a safe place to turn around. Some kinda professional driver "y'all"
WHAT EXACTLY IS
a safe place
??
ANYWHERE we alter our direction is a potentially dangerous place, especially in a truck stop, parking lot, deadend street, etc.

Wow I really wish I had seen this earlier. Ok so the truck driver is avoiding the scales because he knows he's not legal and yet it's not his fault? Of course of course you're one of those people who no matter what it's not the truck drivers fault, always the cars. There are a lot of truck drivers these days that have no damn business even being on the roads but hey it's not your problem right? That's right it's always someone else's fault. He should've never been there in the first place and we wouldn't be having this conversation, and for your info 580 miles a night 5 days a week and 450 of those miles on 2 lane roads, there super trucker, so stop talking out our backside.....
OUR backside?? I wasn't aware we shared a common backside. That explains the pain I've been experiencing.
Your spelling and punctuation are typical of a professional truck driver.

Proofreading before posting helps presentation.