Estes | Wondering

HOBO

TB Lurker
Credits
does our yard jockeys get paid dock worker pay or driver pay or is there a different pay scale for them?

I'm pretty sure it's dock worker pay. I know it's not driver pay, otherwise there'd be more drivers signing on the jockey bids.

kickedoutsmile::cuss::Well I dont know about the rest of the terminals but @ 060 the yard jockey only gets $.50 over his dock pay, inwhich he does not deserve because he spends most of the time hiding or talking on his cell phone than doing dock work.

kickedoutsmile::cuss::Well I dont know about the rest of the terminals but @ 060 the yard jockey only gets $.50 over his dock pay, inwhich he does not deserve because he spends most of the time hiding or talking on his cell phone than doing dock work.

Thought you were talking about our jockeys at 028. Wish they would send them to 055 for retraining. Now those guys can move some trailers around. My vote is for West Middlesex having the best yard jockeys.

Thanks guys. The reason i asked was at our barn our time clock was just updated or something and now it has a jockey buttton to clock in by. our jockey still clocks in on dockworker though. he was told not to use that button to clock in

Thought you were talking about our jockeys at 028. Wish they would send them to 055 for retraining. Now those guys can move some trailers around. My vote is for West Middlesex having the best yard jockeys.

to bad we can't send a certain 055 dispatcher to retraining, yard jockey's are deffinately top notch

Don't ya'all be get'n anybody in trouble. lol. I think our guys get $21.75 or $22. I think they earn it. My sets are 90% of the time hooked right. Sometimes the heavy one is in the rear. Some folks re-switch and some leave well enough alone.

at our terminal it's 25 cents over dock pay and the reason behind them being told to clock in under dockworker is because jockeys get paid overtime after 40 hrs not 55 hrs like dockwokers

IMHO most jockeys deserve a higher pay, i think they do a lot of work. what i don't get is why some terminals have a lot of jockeys but they don't hook the sets, instead pay the drivers to do it.

At 028 they don't hook sets cause they wouldn't have any place to put them. Also had to wait a few minutes the other day to get one of my trailers out of line cause 2 spotters were parked there talking. I'm sure they were discussing ways to be more efficient in the spotting process. There were so many inbound sets one night last week some DA driver got pizzed + dropped his whole set right in the fuel lane. Oh boy!

I only know of one spotter that bidded on a p&d or road position. That tells me something.

I've seen pups lined up back to back out there. Doesn't that mean that they could be hooked together in the same line?? Just sayin':duh:

Good observation littledawg. Many of those back to back pups were outbound pulled from the dock + spotted there. They could hold them at the dock until 2 could be matched + connected taking up the same space. The problem is since there are not enough dock doors and ALWAYS inbound trailers waiting to be put in + broke, they can't wait and have to pull outbound just as soon as they're loaded. Open dock doors are at a premium at 028. P+D trailers are pulled as soon as they're stripped to make room for pups, then the p+d trailers have to be respotted early to be loaded out. It all comes down to lack of dock+ yard space.

I don't have any problem hooking or breaking my own sets, but a spot to do it would be nice. I was out there last week and it took me 30 minutes just to find my trailers and after I did, I pulled them out to hook them and a yard jockey gave me hell for where I was hooking them. Just can't win for losing out there. As big as that yard is, it still seems like it's too small. Drivers are climbing all over each other to do their job and tempers tend to flare.:TR10driving03:

Whenever the spotters crawl all over me (often) I usually ask them where their preferred hooking + breaking spot would be for me to use? I usually act a little pizzed off+ half crazy and they go away. Also always find both trailers before you dig out your rear, cause if you take too long to find your lead they will put your tail away before you come back. They did it to me 2 times last summer so I blocked the driveway till a spotter roared up to see what was up. After some discussion he went and got my tail + staged it behind my lead and dolly. You're right though cause tempers do flair up sometimes there.