Estes | Words Of Wisdom Needed

Drivin' Fool

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello Estes folks, I just interviewed at McCook, Il they want to hire me. I am currently at FedEx but with only 19 YEARS exp. I guess it's not enough to drive. Been on dock, right now actually made it to hostler (spotter). Only taking home a bit over $600 a week, I cannot live on this. Can I get some words of wisdom, opinions, thoughts, info, etc. about coming over here to Estes????:shrug:

Probably the best you could do, to start off, is possibly get on extra board and stay out a week at a time... I really don't know what they start out at these days, but it would definitely be more than $600 a week... Unless, you luck up and get a bid run, but it would be one that no one wants.. Probably a hub run, where you go to a break bulk terminal and work the dock and go back home or go extended and lay down somewhere... Or a short linehaul run...

Hub Driver-- Like shuttle drivers at FedEx Freight... Dock work involved on the majority of Hub runs...

Linehaul--- Runs longer runs or short runs where dock work is not necessary...

You'll have to talk to the TM and find out what the pay structure is for those drivers.. I would hate to speculate and tell you the wrong thing... Good luck DF and let us know how it works out for ya...

Extraboard pay starts at .4785 per mile, currently tops out at .5585 after 3 years. We get 7.50 to break and 7.50 to hook them. This is the best job I've ever had. It's not hard to make 70,000+ a year here if you're not afraid of the road.

19 years experience.

Ten dash four. I read his post on another thread and figured out all of his eggs weren't in the same basket.
One of the best jobs I've ever had paid around $600 a week. I didn't have any toys though. It really doesn't get much better than linehaul at the E though. Sure we have our bunkroom issues here but it's not like we are forced to stay in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE:

""Driving Fool:
Hello Estes folks, I just interviewed at McCook, Il they want to hire me. I am currently at FedEx but with only 19 YEARS exp. I guess it's not enough to drive. Been on dock, right now actually made it to hostler (spotter). Only taking home a bit over $600 a week, I cannot live on this. Can I get some words of wisdom, opinions, thoughts, info, etc. about coming over here to Estes????""

You'll be home alot more than they told ya. Vacations are coming. You'll be covering runs mostly. The hardest thing for you will be one week days, next week nights. Mostly you'll be bouncing around schedules for a few months. Your sleeping habits will be off. Your making right move. You probably be on road 2 full weeks a month(Mon thru Fri), other 2 covering runs. If you got to be home, just tell central, get me home wednesday,thursday,friday. Usually they're pretty good about that. If u want to stay out and get the miles, which is what I suggest. Tell central to run you. You might like it.$$$$$$

Being nervous about a move is the worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Is Right ,driva... And I got 3 weeks of them to take.. So he can mosey on down to the South and cover mine if he wants... Can't wait for that 4th week to kick in.... Yahooooooo!!!!

That Is Right ,driva... And I got 3 weeks of them to take.. So he can mosey on down to the South and cover mine if he wants... Can't wait for that 4th week to kick in.... Yahooooooo!!!!

Dammit driver, when you get that 4th week you'll be able to tell us how it feels to be a politician, especially if you get some time away on fema in the same 12 months lmao

Thanks to all of you for your words, it's been a hard transition since 10-2010. I was a union fuel hauler, home every night for dinner and 70k was being lazy as can be. Since they shut down and the great boys at union hall didn't do a thing to help, I've been trying to find my place again with a good check and good place to work. I appreciate your help...I take my pee pee test etc. Mon (2-11) so maybe we'll see ya'll down the
road

Ten dash four. I got my W2 a couple weeks ago. It was over $70,000. Probably my lowest since I've been here. I've also got very lazy since my bills are paid. I'm telling ya Estes is the place to be and old dominion falls in at a close second choice

I hauled gas for 5 years before I came here. I was lazy as a gas hauler, but I felt real guilty my first few months here. You're making a good move.

Ten dash four. I got my W2 a couple weeks ago. It was over $70,000. Probably my lowest since I've been here. I've also got very lazy since my bills are paid. I'm telling ya Estes is the place to be and old dominion falls in at a close second choice

Man, you're pushing for that "Hire-On" bonus, aren't ya.....LMAO

Sorry for the confusion, mildew, I have 19 years driving & have been at Fred Ex (as u say) for 90 days, hell they haven't even given me my medical card yet.
sounds like your at a hub, I spent 3 yrs at Fred's and can count on 1 hand, how many weeks I got 40 hours, switched to linehaul and worked 1-2 days a week. When I put my notice in, they offered me a position back at the bottom in the city. I said thanks but, no thanks. Good luck to ya

I have been a HUB driver out of Albany 081 for 1 year now and I love it! Best job I've had. I drive 282 miles a night to Pine Brook NJ and back and with dock time I gross 1100-1200 a week. Good benefits,(401k could be a little better in my opinion) but other than that, I don't have to many complaints.

Extraboard pay starts at .4785 per mile, currently tops out at .5585 after 3 years. We get 7.50 to break and 7.50 to hook them. This is the best job I've ever had. It's not hard to make 70,000+ a year here if you're not afraid of the road.

Ya you can make money at it, but when it slows down be prepared to sit home, if you are there, or out on the road nothing like hanging out at your fav hotel for 24 hours, ore worse yet a Bunkhouse. Been there done that plenty of times. And just startin out you will probably be on a Wed night start, Don't know about McCook, but alot of terminals have Mon, Tues, Weds, starts now, I got a lovely Wed, then Tues start last year. Now I am back to Mon, all because I was Hub Driver for awhile, I lost all my Linehaul time.
It's all good if you have no life at home, you can make money at it, but being gone all weekend for me sucked.
Don't let these trucks scare you though, they are the greatest going downhill with 40,000 on in pups going down a hill like the one west of Denver, or going across 68 in Maryland, or 64 over to Richmond. Get used to no Jake Brakes... Funny when these Big Riggers always make fun of a Day Cabber cause the way I see most of them would be cleaning there pants out after some of the hills I'm talking about.
We earn our money over here!!