R&L | Work us 60++++and an effective pay cut.

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
The latest that R&L is doing to their drivers is this. After you have worked all day, done your route, busted your butt, then you hit the yard. They have you grab an empty trailer and clock out, and then pay you a flat amout that they have determined to go and swap out a loaded trailer. This loaded trailer might be 10 miles away, and it might be a 100 miles away. The amount they pay you never comes to the amout you would get if you stayed on the clock. The other day, I get to the place and grab the full trailer, but first I have to sign 22 freight bills that takes 30 minutes. After all is said and done I get paid $37, but from start to finish, it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes. If I would have been on the clock, I would have gotten paid $52.80. So instaed of making $23.47 an hour, I made just $16.44 an hour for doing this.(THIS IS NOT RIGHT)
Well yesterday, I get in and clock out with 59.75 hours, the dispatcher tell me to clock and and grab an empty. I tell him no-way, it is absolutly illegal to work past 60 hours in 7 days, whether you are on a time clock or not. What has happened to our company? My gosh, seriously the drivers at my termianl are all looking for another place to work, we are all tired of being taken advantage of...
No raise in two years, insurance raise twice in two years, personal days taken away, 401-k match taken away. Whats next? It is amazing how R&L management has turned employee's with great attitudes, and loved working here, into employee's who can't stand to come to work, who feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Ler

We have a similar problem with rail trailers coming into the area from out west.Its done as line haul at 2 hrs but can take as much as 4 hrs.It is not fair,I totally agree with you.

UPS lost a law suit on not paying drivers for all work. Had to pay millions in back pay out west. Something to think about...

[quote author=Skeeter link=topic=82573.msg853462#msg853462 date=1280605572]
UPS lost a law suit on not paying drivers for all work. Had to pay millions in back pay out west. Something to think about...
[/quote]There are a lot of drivers thinking about a lot of different things now that R&L is doing the things they are doing to us. Everyone is scared to do anything,afraid for their job, but we have one driver who is retiring soon anyway, and he said is going to be the one to contact the Teamsters on our behalf. Every driver at our teminal has said they will sign the card. (It didn't have to come to this)

I understand. I wasn't pushing the union. But that is something each of us has to decide for ourselves. Good luck...

No one thinks that you were pushing the union.It is hanging over this place.No one wants to think that way but I know most people I talk to are really fed up with the direction that the idiots in Ohio are taking us.I know I am certainly disappointed with the way the last year and a half has gone.But I don't know if the union would be any better.

Where is all this taking place at?
The reason I ask is that I've never heard of such practices at my terminal.
Swaps are done everyday, first city guys on the yard, go back out on a swap, on the clock.
Some of the earlier L/H guys go do swaps prior to their runs, on the clock.......

A driver hits 60 hours and he stops driving right where he is and somebody has to go get him.
If a driver doesn't have enough hours to work a full day, (say at 53 hours on Friday am) He doesn't work all day.

Maybe they're trying this manure out on ya'll, but down here in the Lone Star, we're just not seeing it .......yet

I'm in HTF and the rail trailers are in West Springfield Ma about 40 mins up the road. We get about 4 to 10 a week now and city drivers are forced to go at the end of the day after they have done a full pedal.The trailer are ready sometimes and sometimes they are not but you always have to go searching for them in a maze of trailers.If you lucky your going up for one of the RL trailers.If its a regular rail box it can take a long time to find them.All of this is done as line haul at 2 hours.

They just started this flat rate bull crap in Knoxville, and the drivers are pissed and feel as though they are being taken advantage of...Everyone's attitude sux, and by that, I mean not just drivers...I used to feel like I made the best decision when I hired on with R&L 15 years ago, now I think I would have done better had I hired on back then with Overnite or American Freightways...Both UPS Freight and Fed-Ex Freight are both superior to R&L...I hate to say it but its the truth....Hopefully something good will happen, maybe the Roberts will sell the company...

[quote author=braceface link=topic=82573.msg853987#msg853987 date=1280713274]
They just started this flat rate bull crap in Knoxville, and the drivers are pissed and feel as though they are being taken advantage of...Everyone's attitude sux, and by that, I mean not just drivers...I used to feel like I made the best decision when I hired on with R&L 15 years ago, now I think I would have done better had I hired on back then with Overnite or American Freightways...Both UPS Freight and Fed-Ex Freight are both superior to R&L...I hate to say it but its the truth....Hopefully something good will happen, maybe the Roberts will sell the company...
[/quote]

They prob already did, sometimes you dont hear about big corp buy outs for alongtime. :kicking:

[quote author=OLDTIMER89 link=topic=82573.msg853995#msg853995 date=1280714381]

They prob already did, sometimes you dont hear about big corp buy outs for alongtime. :kicking:
[/quote]You may be right... :popcorn:

Ups feeders drivers are paid per hour until they go over 500 miles in a night and then is switches to per mile. Freight it is all paid by the mile in linehaul and hourly in city plus drop hook etc.

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=82573.msg854929#msg854929 date=1280973284]
Ups feeders drivers are paid per hour until they go over 500 miles in a night and then is switches to per mile. Freight it is all paid by the mile in linehaul and hourly in city plus drop hook etc.
[/quote]
Not sure what this has to do with the topic.Did you post in the right place?

[quote author=TruckDiver link=topic=82573.msg853599#msg853599 date=1280635203]
Where is all this taking place at?
The reason I ask is that I've never heard of such practices at my terminal.
Swaps are done everyday, first city guys on the yard, go back out on a swap, on the clock.
Some of the earlier L/H guys go do swaps prior to their runs, on the clock.......

A driver hits 60 hours and he stops driving right where he is and somebody has to go get him.
If a driver doesn't have enough hours to work a full day, (say at 53 hours on Friday am) He doesn't work all day.

Maybe they're trying this manure out on ya'll, but down here in the Lone Star, we're just not seeing it .......yet
[/quote]This is the way that we do it in Phi you know what I say GIVE ME THE MONEY.With the way things are going in the U.S.A. all price hikes the extra money helps to keep our heads above the water that just what I think

Always check with the Labor board when RL does something that sounds some what out of place! Each states laws are different. What might be legal in one state could be illegal in another! Denver has tried several different things similiar to this and all have been shot down due to the fact that they were in violation of state laws!
The Labor Board is your friend at least more so than RL!
Good Luck All

[quote author=overtime link=topic=82573.msg853488#msg853488 date=1280608675]
There are a lot of drivers thinking about a lot of different things now that R&L is doing the things they are doing to us. Everyone is scared to do anything,afraid for their job, but we have one driver who is retiring soon anyway, and he said is going to be the one to contact the Teamsters on our behalf. Every driver at our teminal has said they will sign the card. (It didn't have to come to this)
[/quote]

He better do this before he retires, the Teamsters won't talk to former employees. They may not even give a lone driver the time of day.
Don't even bother until you can get several individuals together for a meeting.