Central Transport | working at vitran

jeffreypup

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been working here for 13 years I read a lot on tb and am surprised at all the negativity...... people write how bad it is ... how much things suck...how bad they have it wah wah wah...we are all lucky to have a job I work in erie we are very busy for a small center we average 80 bills in and out I don't think that's bad sure we have lost some work but we pick up more too.. instead of bit...chin about things just do our jobs ....we make good money for what we do.... and for info on our terminal joe wurst is leaving it is not because we have lost some ge work he is a salesman at heart and is going back to that and wants out of trucking he has done a good job up here but sometimes has his hands tied by the uppers.... who doesn't....if you think that vitran is so bad just leave and stop writing all the garbage on here and bringing others down

alot of us are slowly doing that, thanks for the advice. glad you like what you're doing. welcome to truckingboards. :wavey:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working here for 13 years I read a lot on tb and am surprised at all the negativity...... people write how bad it is ... how much things suck...how bad they have it wah wah wah...we are all lucky to have a job I work in erie we are very busy for a small center we average 80 bills in and out I don't think that's bad sure we have lost some work but we pick up more too.. instead of bit...chin about things just do our jobs ....we make good money for what we do.... and for info on our terminal joe wurst is leaving it is not because we have lost some ge work he is a salesman at heart and is going back to that and wants out of trucking he has done a good job up here but sometimes has his hands tied by the uppers.... who doesn't....if you think that vitran is so bad just leave and stop writing all the garbage on here and bringing others down
I will leave in time. And so will you when this place goes out of business, and they will if things don't change quickly. You obviously are new on here so you can feel free not to come on here and read the real world reality of Vitran. Drink the Kool-Aid my brother. And the garbage you refer to is not on this forum, its in the management teams incompetence to manage. They are the reason we are now in a fight for our very existence. I've been here longer than you and driver morale has never been lower. We all had positive attitudes at one point. Wake up and face the facts, this company is losing so much money and so many customers at a rate that is not sustainable. I'm happy that you feel positive about Vitran. But let me say that we all don't feel that way. And that's our right. It's up to the new management team to give us something to be positive about. And a good start would be to start making money. And learning to treat their employees with dignity and respect would help too. But if you still want to call us a bunch of cry babies. That is your right....Good day Jeffrey.

One thing i would want to add on this topic. You being there for 13 years mean you my friend are working at a topped out rate, as we speak there are vitran employees that have been there for 8 years that are not at top pay rate, there are some that have been there for five years making first year pay rate. You say you work at a small barn?? Thats probley why you are in the state of denial u r in. You dont see at the big hubs on how they mismanage and flush money down the toliet. Well im happy for you and glad you like vitran , me on the other hand my 5 years at vitran were not that fun. And the grass is greener on the other side. I just got me a road bid at ups freight and i couldnt be happier. Good luck to u....

there is a BIG difference between where you work (and what TM you work for) i have been at some that were balls to the walls because of their TM,,,,,,,others were sesame street characters,,,,,,needless to say the sesame place workers were more happy,,,,,but to bad they also didn't make money, which is why V is in business. i worked at what i considered a middle of the road terminal, i was one of the "runners" and we had a few "clock strokers" but, you get that anywhere. currently V cannot fire anyone at my former place without shrinking service area, and the big wigs will not allow that due to national accounts (TM already tried, got the "speech") not trying to say you work at a strokers terminal and that is why you are happy, all in all i had more good days than bad days, BUT, i left over corporate and their BS. my terminal made money every month, then, Ck took over and we still made money, but a lot less, so they blamed the TM, told him he had to run certain routes due to national accounts, again a loss, he could not discipline drivers over freight not getting delivered or missed pics, send them home and freight sits on dock. add to this corporate not trying to recruit replacement drivers beyone carrer builder or yahoo jobs, what a loss.

what does next week hold? dunno. that is the MAIN reason we lost guys at our place, including me,,,,,,,,, never sure if we were going to be closed next week or not, i didn't think so, but with corporate keeping everything secret,,,,,,ya never know

Well, Jefferypup, what you may not realize is truck drivers do alot of bit**ing and complaining. Next to caffine, that is our drug of choice. A lot of us came here from other companies that may or may not have been better managed. Some are still in business, some not, but the point is we chose to come here. We were hoping to find a well ran company that will be around for some time. What we have witnessed in the last 1-2 years confuses most of us. Most of the changes undertaken have not been very well handled. Maybe it is in communication of what we are trying to accomplish with each change. Who knows? ERI is a smaller teminal that has only been opened for a short time, so you must have come from a larger location. Is there a difference in how that one was managed? Small ws. large volume can make a world of difference in this business. We come on here to vent and to have free and open discussions of things effecting what takes up a major part of our lives, namely, our work lives. With Jeff and Truckingboards, we have that privilege. If we want to complain, we will do just that. Not all of the threads are of that nature so just take some time and go through some of the old/new topics and enjoy yourself. Also, welcome to TB.

I'm butting in here,how tiny is a terminal that only does 80 bills in and out? Where I work that would only average 4-6 pups worth of Freight. I average about 20 bills a day picked up on a single city route.

I'm butting in here,how tiny is a terminal that only does 80 bills in and out? Where I work that would only average 4-6 pups worth of Freight. I average about 20 bills a day picked up on a single city route.
Well I'm thinking you work at FedX....So I can understand your surprise. And quite frankly I don't understand it either. But I don't think Jeffery will be back to explain his position. Maybe it was a typo and he meant 800.

For someone who thinks one should remove themselves from situations they do not like this poster, by his own admission, sure subjects himself to a lot of situations he does not like by "reading a lot of posts on tb."

If these posts are bringing you down stop reading them. For some of us it does not bring us down because we are speaking truth-not sticking our heads in the sand. If anything I see tb as a positive place, but if you have a negative view of it you should close your account.

Well I'm thinking you work at FedX....So I can understand your surprise. And quite frankly I don't understand it either. But I don't think Jeffery will be back to explain his position. Maybe it was a typo and he meant 800.

13 P&D and 180 bills was a slow day, average around 220 to 240,,,,300 was exceptional

80 bills? We average about 1050 inbound and about 1000 outbound. Heck we have over 150 in storage waiting on appointments

Jeffrey joined January 18th 2013.......Has made 1 post... Hmmmmm.....He's probably been just reading and taking notes and reporting back to the man....He is from the Pittsburg area. Could be wrong, but he sure disappeared. Sounds like a chicken sh** punk to me. Starts that thread and runs like hell. Yep, sounds like a punk to me. View his profile. And tell me if that doesn't look a little suspicious.

Yes, but they joined on the day they started posting and they stayed around to respond awhile...This guy joined in January and made one post in June and ran home to mama...Could be just me being paranoid....Just looks a little suspicious because he disappeared.

Jeffrey joined January 18th 2013.......Has made 1 post... Hmmmmm.....He's probably been just reading and taking notes and reporting back to the man....He is from the Pittsburg area. Could be wrong, but he sure disappeared. Sounds like a chicken sh** punk to me. Starts that thread and runs like hell. Yep, sounds like a punk to me. View his profile. And tell me if that doesn't look a little suspicious.

He can report back on me. I double dog dare him to report me. I am giving away secrets to anyone that will listen. I'm hanging Vitranoffs panties out for everybody to see. Do it! Tell on me! :fingure:

He can report back on me. I double dog dare him to report me. I am giving away secrets to anyone that will listen. I'm hanging Vitranoffs panties out for everybody to see. Do it! Tell on me! :fingure:
To my understanding the panties have so many skid mark stains they are totally worthless. Of course if you have no pride or self respect you still wear them proudly as they do. Some companies don't mind sitting in their own sh**.....Personally its a bit gross for me.

ERI was opened to support and secure G.E. Polymers after a commitment was made by G.E. G.E. has pulled well over 50% of that business from 2 years ago and now ERI is doing a paltry 80 bills per day. 80 bills worth of revenue and probably almost all national accounts is not enough revenue to keep them in the black.