ODFL | Working Christmas

easttnhillbilly

TB Regular
Credits
got a call from disp yesterday they wanted volunters to run out to rto and sit in the motel thru christmas untill the 26th or 27th until they get freight going again they also said if they didn't get enough volunters they would have to force several teams to take the runs i always thought we were garanted home for christmas thats the one time of year i get to see my family especially the ones that live away from me i didn't volunter and have been considering telling them were to stick the truck if they try to make me take the run are any other terminals doing this i figure this is just another way there trying to thin the driver pool again

I hope I get Xmas Eve off just because I have something specific to do. I don't mind working Xmas day though. Don't have any family coming in. My sympathies to those of you that do, in case you end up working. Hopefully you can work something out without doing something drastic. Bottom line, in this economy, if they tell me to run, I run. That's basically the way I've been my entire time here anyway. Only once have I ever turned down a run, for safety reasons. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

got a call from disp yesterday they wanted volunters to run out to rto and sit in the motel thru christmas untill the 26th or 27th until they get freight going again they also said if they didn't get enough volunters they would have to force several teams to take the runs i always thought we were garanted home for christmas thats the one time of year i get to see my family especially the ones that live away from me i didn't volunter and have been considering telling them were to stick the truck if they try to make me take the run are any other terminals doing this i figure this is just another way there trying to thin the driver pool again

All drivers home Christmas Day.......that's Earl's rule.The company has NEVER been thru times like this or have the other trucking companys so maybe things have changed.Although something tells me this is one of those "below Earl" decisions and all the people that end up working will be called "volunteers".I believe if a man made a phone call to the HQ's he could get off pretty easy but then again you could be getting problems at your barn started.Damned if you don't,damned if you do.

Great point Jim Bob. That's where many people make a mistake. Call HQ, they agree with you, and your off the hook...Until your TM finds out you called and then you make one wrong move and you're out the door.

Great point Jim Bob. That's where many people make a mistake. Call HQ, they agree with you, and your off the hook...Until your TM finds out you called and then you make one wrong move and you're out the door.

True.Many are like that but a few are not.It all depends how much you're in the right and is it worth it.

har l/h shut down wed/thur p/d ran half the guys wed all well here hope foriegn drivers got home seen about a dozen tractors at motel when i left tues nite merry chritsmas to all