TForce | Working for Conway/UPS Freight

AnotherJarhead

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been reading these posts over the last 18 months and have to say that a lot of the time it sounds like a bunch of school kids fighting over who gets to be the line leader. This is my first post so bear with me. I see that all that is getting accomplished is, as a whole you are divided and that works to the company's advantage. As long as they have you fighting among yourselves you can't put your eye on the ball and see what the company wants to take.

I watched this for 7 years at Conway - they kept the pot stirred just enough that no one could ever agree on anything. All the talk about what you are going to lose if you go with a contract is a joke. You don't have anything now - it can all be taken away with the stroke of a pen or an e-mail memo saying so.

I have watched one of the biggest anti union companies (Conway) **** their employees over the last ten years and there is not much the employees can do. It starts with little things like taking away laundry service and the repair of uniforms at no cost then progresses to loss of 10 sick days in lieu of 3 PTO days that you have to schedule. They revamped the pension plan last year without any employee input - take it or leave it. Health care was taken from 100% employer paid to employees paying a portion now. Health care after retirement is gone now.

These are all things that we should be worried about but can't if we stay divided. Kevin H (former president for Conway Western) is now over here calling the shots and he is implementing the same policies here that they had there. The fact is we all work as at will employees. You can quit at any time or they can terminate you at anytime. if you don't like it that's too bad. I have just witnessed an 11 year employee leave because he couldn't take it at Conway anymore. That's a heck of a note to give 11 years for nothing. I can tell you all of this because it has happened to CF employees who came to work to locked gates and locked doors. A week ago I was laid off with 10 of the best group of guys I have had the pleasure of working with in the last 20 years since I left the Marine Corps. I felt that everyone had my back and I had theirs. If you think a union is going to come in and solve all your problems you are mistaken. The union is you and your coworkers united for what is best for your family and theirs. It's not a magic pill. I have watched a company feed off the sweat and pain of its employees with no recourse but to quit and go somewhere else. I wish you all the best in the future with this company, stay strong and walk tall.
Semper Fi.

I have been reading these posts over the last 18 months and have to say that a lot of the time it sounds like a bunch of school kids fighting over who gets to be the line leader. This is my first post so bear with me. I see that all that is getting accomplished is, as a whole you are divided and that works to the company's advantage. As long as they have you fighting among yourselves you can't put your eye on the ball and see what the company wants to take.

I watched this for 7 years at Conway - they kept the pot stirred just enough that no one could ever agree on anything. All the talk about what you are going to lose if you go with a contract is a joke. You don't have anything now - it can all be taken away with the stroke of a pen or an e-mail memo saying so.

I have watched one of the biggest anti union companies (Conway) **** their employees over the last ten years and there is not much the employees can do. It starts with little things like taking away laundry service and the repair of uniforms at no cost then progresses to loss of 10 sick days in lieu of 3 PTO days that you have to schedule. They revamped the pension plan last year without any employee input - take it or leave it. Health care was taken from 100% employer paid to employees paying a portion now. Health care after retirement is gone now.

These are all things that we should be worried about but can't if we stay divided. Kevin Hartman (former president for Conway Western) is now over here calling the shots and he is implementing the same policies here that they had there. The fact is we all work as at will employees. You can quit at any time or they can terminate you at anytime. if you don't like it that's too bad. I have just witnessed an 11 year employee leave because he couldn't take it at Conway anymore. That's a heck of a note to give 11 years for nothing. I can tell you all of this because it has happened to CF employees who came to work to locked gates and locked doors. A week ago I was laid off with 10 of the best group of guys I have had the pleasure of working with in the last 20 years since I left the Marine Corps. I felt that everyone had my back and I had theirs. If you think a union is going to come in and solve all your problems you are mistaken. The union is you and your coworkers united for what is best for your family and theirs. It's not a magic pill. I have watched a company feed off the sweat and pain of its employees with no recourse but to quit and go somewhere else. I wish you all the best in the future with this company, stay strong and walk tall.
Semper Fi.

Great post, I agree with you whole heartedly. Thank you.:smilie_132:

Yes sir! Great First Post! Greenie bump for this.
I am an Ex-Con (Con-way Freight/CCX) over 12 years with them.
UPSF is going through it's growing pains.
If you get hired on at UPSF with the Con-way mentality of being consistently micromanaged, you will do just fine with the newer rules being set forth at UPSF.
UPSF is going to make this the tightest ship in the shipping business and sooner or later we will all conform and be used to it all.
UPS hates to fail....PERIOD!

:USA:Semper Fi Devil Dog!:USA:
I am also Ex-Marine! Damn...I am Ex everything.:chairshot:

Outstanding first post!!! I too came from Con-way. Con-way Eastern Express (11yrs.). It was and so far the best Union job I ever had outside of this place. I was with Penn Yan Express who was union when CF came in and reorganized and rebranded it. We went through much of the same growing pains and problems. This Company reminds me of those years. Dockworker hit it on the head, we are becoming the biggest and tightest freight company in the industry whether we like it or not. Also having done time at our parent company way back when, I see a lot of things that still haven't been implemented. We have come far but have many miles to travel still. I am elighted that we are finally going Union. The Contract isn't what I had hoped for but, we will have to make it work for us the best that we can. Things will get better if we all pull together. That is the true meaning of Union....Solidarity!!! I hope to finish my career here, and I realize as some do that we will be as strong as our weakest link (our members).

Outstanding first post!!! I too came from Con-way. Con-way Eastern Express (11yrs.). It was and so far the best Union job I ever had outside of this place. I was with Penn Yan Express who was union when CF came in and reorganized and rebranded it. We went through much of the same growing pains and problems. This Company reminds me of those years. Dockworker hit it on the head, we are becoming the biggest and tightest freight company in the industry whether we like it or not. Also having done time at our parent company way back when, I see a lot of things that still haven't been implemented. We have come far but have many miles to travel still. I am elighted that we are finally going Union. The Contract isn't what I had hoped for but, we will have to make it work for us the best that we can. Things will get better if we all pull together. That is the true meaning of Union....Solidarity!!! I hope to finish my career here, and I realize as some do that we will be as strong as our weakest link (our members).

Great Post hugnlug! Greenie bump for you too!:1036316054:
We vote today.

These are all things that we should be worried about but can't if we stay divided. Kevin Hartman (former president for Conway Western) is now over here calling the shots and he is implementing the same policies here that they had there. The fact is we all work as at will employees. You can quit at any time or they can terminate you at anytime. if you don't like it that's too bad. I have just witnessed an 11 year employee leave because he couldn't take it at Conway anymore. That's a heck of a note to give 11 years for nothing. I can tell you all of this because it has happened to CF employees who came to work to locked gates and locked doors. A week ago I was laid off with 10 of the best group of guys I have had the pleasure of working with in the last 20 years since I left the Marine Corps. I felt that everyone had my back and I had theirs. If you think a union is going to come in and solve all your problems you are mistaken. The union is you and your coworkers united for what is best for your family and theirs. It's not a magic pill. I have watched a company feed off the sweat and pain of its employees with no recourse but to quit and go somewhere else. I wish you all the best in the future with this company, stay strong and walk tall.
Semper Fi.

"Splash"

Feel the rain people... feel the rain... Ooo' it feels good! :bowdown:

dido on the green!

The only place I see this division is on these boards. I have yet to see it in person. And I've talked to employees from plenty of terminals. I do realize that there might be division out there, just haven't witnessed it yet.

I would have to agree I didn't see the division in person running wild on the West coast WA,OR,CA,NV. But remember that in the publics eyes perception is reality. As we argue thing on the board it only benefits the company by keeping us distracted from the end goal.
Stay Strong.
Semper Fi

I started with Overnite back in 1992 and came to Conway in 2004 and both have their good and bad points. I went through the union fights back in 1994 and they were as bad as anything I was ever involved in and happy they are done now. I am happier at Conway but they can be a hard company to work for if you do not like to have someone looking over your shoulder all of the time. I worked under Kevin H and have played golf with him in the past and I must say he is a stand up guy and a family man who will focus on the employees to make sure their needs are met.

I played a 41 at an executive 9 last week that was a par 32. It was one of my better days so I am not a very good golfer.. :28:

I started with Overnite back in 1992 and came to Conway in 2004 and both have their good and bad points. I went through the union fights back in 1994 and they were as bad as anything I was ever involved in and happy they are done now. I am happier at Conway but they can be a hard company to work for if you do not like to have someone looking over your shoulder all of the time. I worked under Kevin H and have played golf with him in the past and I must say he is a stand up guy and a family man who will focus on the employees to make sure their needs are met.

I never played golf with the man, But from the first video introducing him I thought he was a stand up man also, until he did the layoffs and cut backs at Conway, now he is doing the same thing here 22 or 23 jobs just in three barns that I know of. Putting freight on long boxes is not in the best interest of the families involved. No warning. it bit him big at Conway when he did it I hope it bites him here as well

That really is too bad AnotherJarHead and I hate to see people lose their jobs. My understanding is that the president does the dirty work for the board of directors and they make many of the big cuts or tell him, here is the money you have to work with, now go figure out what you are going to do? There jobs are on the line too and it's too bad Kevin is off to a bumpy start. Overnite has always had money issues. I liked working for them when Union Pacific owned them and they did a horrible job when they were on their own. They needed another big company like UPS to buy them before they ran the company into the ground. UPS Corporate is making the decisions and will be profitable and it will be a tough road over there for the next few years. It's no picnic here at Conway now either but they run a much tighter operation.