ABF | working thanksgiving

the reason we worked is so that JUDY COULD USE THE SHINY WHEELS. we never worked before on a holiday. I don't mean coming back from a run on a holiday. I mean being scheduled to go out in the middle of the day on a run on a holiday. if judy cancels All the bids then an outside carrier pulls out every bid man would have a grievance. again it all goes back to the yes voters and, oh yeah, get ready to work.on Christmas.the union is trying to sell this bill of goods to Conway and fedex. maybe they should start right here and do something about this nonsense I KNOW my local was empty for the holiday. just sayin
That.......is a Very Good point......First year for us to use PT,.......first year to not ..."officially"....shut down linehaul on the Thanksgiving holiday..............Yoo Hoo!.........Tyson!........Hey, Tyson!....Over here again!..........Look here!..................(..........really hard to get his attention,......especially on a Holiday,.....)......

That.......is a Very Good point......First year for us to use PT,.......first year to not ..."officially"....shut down linehaul on the Thanksgiving holiday..............Yoo Hoo!.........Tyson!........Hey, Tyson!....Over here again!..........Look here!..................(..........really hard to get his attention,......especially on a Holiday,.....)......
He just plain ol' doesn't like us. We are an annoying group of demanding workers in the minority and I don't see that changing in my days as a Teamster.

He just plain ol' doesn't like us. We are an annoying group of demanding workers in the minority and I don't see that changing in my days as a Teamster.
Yeah,......It's a shame that my dues are going to such a disinterested group to pay for salaries of people who,.....I get the distinct impression,......disdains us. Maybe he's afraid of a confrontation with Ms. Judy.......Don't want to make her cry, or something.........

The thing is I did not mind working the holiday and I have talked to several road drivers who feel the same way. Atlanta had a bunch of drivers who worked both Thanksgiving and Friday yet I have not received a single complaint from anyone who said they were forced to work on the holiday. I did meet one driver on Thanksgiving day who was not happy that he was out three beds over the holiday and several Jackson drivers who were dispatching on Friday who seemed to be happy to be making the extra 4hrs.

Well,....If it's voluntary,...and by seniority, ....there's nothing wrong with it. We've had a senior guy bump the on call dock guy for the Thanksgiving week just so he could work Wednesday into Thursday morning and get time-and-a-half for all hours worked plus sixteen hours hours holiday pay. Pretty decent paycheck for four days work,........But the work was available only if you wanted it. Our UE guy took an eight hour sick day on his third starting clock punch,....and then got a ten hour holiday...he's on 4/10's,....and an eight hour holiday. He didn't want to work into Thanksgiving morning, and the holiday on 4/10's is his fourth starting clock punch. All voluntary, with a little planning to maximize your earnings. But I think it's absolutely wrong for a dispatcher to call out a road guy in the 24 hour, or 48 hour period of a holiday. I think Brother Shrink Wrap made a good point about dispatch trying to deplete the road board so they could use Purchased Transportation over the holidays, and no one would be able to grieve it. This is the first year for using PT through the holidays,....and I find it rather suspicious that this is the first year that they didn't make a concerted effort to get road guys in for the holidays, and only run voluntary runs. I think we'd better start asking some serious questions about holidays and PT, and dispatch taking advantage of both. Christmas falls on Wednesday and Thursday of this year. In 40 years of trucking,........with some of the slimiest carriers you can think of,.....I've never worked on Christmas. I would be violently angry if dispatch even hinted to suggest I would have to work on Christmas. I think we'd better start asking to see the MOU that allows a "forced" dispatch on a holiday. All of those type of MOU's would be in the Supplements,....and Local guys would've had to sign off on them. Let's see if they have the brass testicles to wave a paper in front of a guy and tell him he's ..."forced"...to go out Christmas morning. If......there is NO paper,....no MOU,.....Then they CAN'T fire you,....There IS NO GROUNDS for firing.....No Article,...No MOU. Any management type who would threaten to fire a guy,....without having written grounds,...is flirting with Labor Board charges.......