ABF | Working without a Contract: A Strategy Whose Time Has Come?

D

Docker

When a contract expires with no prospect of a settlement, the union has three choices:

Agree with the employer to extend the contract for a fixed or an indefinite period
Strike
Work without a contract.

For many years, unions mostly stuck to the first two options. Working without a contract was considered a hazardous move that could cut off dues and leave the union open to decertification.

But recently, unions have been taking a closer look at the work-without-a-contract strategy. Some have changed their mantra from “no contract, no work” to “no contract, no peace.” With a helpful December 2012 Labor Board (NLRB) ruling (see below), this trend is likely to gain momentum.

More...Working without a Contract: A Strategy Whose Time Has Come? | Labor Notes

IMO, the three choice are
1 Teamsters can get more carriers organized and have leverage
2. Call a strike and sink abf then apply at a non shop with Ur app thrown in the trash
3 Continue to work and provide for Ur family

That's the options I see for the union and its abf guys in these times.

IMO, the three choice are
1 Teamsters can get more carriers organized and have leverage
2. Call a strike and sink abf then apply at a non shop with Ur app thrown in the trash
3 Continue to work and provide for Ur family

That's the options I see for the union and its abf guys in these times.

Yep...that's what kind of reply I would expect out of a true ConWay champion...lol

I'm by no means a conway champ. I'm just sayin Ur union deserted the market, now these are the options. You guys r in a corner

If the unions dissapear we will all take a hit in wages and benifits. Therefore we are all in the corner if u ask me.

Ur 100% right. So why did the teamsters leave you guys to be vulnerable? The abf guys would already have a contract today if they weren't backed in a corner. Now what do you do? Strike ? Now that'd be the final nail in the coffin

Now what do you do? Strike ? Now that'd be the final nail in the coffin

All one can say to that Rollin62 is:

wedontwanttostrike.gif

It's called..."standing up for what you believe in"...and in this case it's an easy decision considering the raises and bonuses top management received plus the purchase of two companies AFTER they tried to get us to accept a 15% wage reduction in 2010...wouldn't you say?

In the article he talks of keeping the company and the customers in a "state of uncertainty" that is the last thing we need in our current situation.
The option of going on strike for unfair labor practices also would not seem to me to be a viable option. I really do not see any advantage to us with this strategy in our current situation.

Depends if you want to invest and grow your business or let it fade away to the cheap rates of the nons. As far as compensation for leaders, there's a reason they're there and we're on this board. What do you feel the market rate is for Ltl labor?

wedontwanttostrike.gif

It's called..."standing up for what you believe in"...and in this case it's an easy decision considering the raises and bonuses top management received plus the purchase of two companies AFTER they tried to get us to accept a 15% wage reduction in 2010...wouldn't you say?
Yeah you'll look good with that strike button on your chest in the unemployment line but you stood up for what you believed in. I'm just pissed off we will have more freight fallinoff our dock cause of your type being a stubborn ass and not getting with times. I work hard enough without abf going under. Oh yeah, it's 2013

Yeah you'll look good with that strike button on your chest in the unemployment line but you stood up for what you believed in. I'm just pissed off we will have more freight fallinoff our dock cause of your type being a stubborn ass and not getting with times. I work hard enough without abf going under. Oh yeah, it's 2013

You are right...I may be a stubborn ass but you are a kiss ass and a dumb ass...lol

Pin that button to your chest!

After all...I doubt that you are man enough to ever stick up for what you believe in.

Your posts reflect your intelligence. Quite sad. Lets all pretend we're livin in the 70s and teamsters run the Ltl market..!! Lol

U haven't dished jack except" we'll strike!!!!!well strike!!!!! I really doubt if you we're in a union leadership position, the abf guys would agree to your strike authorization. Your funny

U haven't dished jack except" we'll strike!!!!!well strike!!!!! I really doubt if you we're in a union leadership position, the abf guys would agree to your strike authorization. Your funny

Typical answer from an uninformed self proclaimed know it all...lol

Now tell me...just what did that button say?

By the way...just what in the hell do you know about a union anyway...except your hatred and ignorance of it!

Tell me Rollin62...I bet that you are secretly wishing we do go on strike and go under...then all you got to do is kiss a little more ass so you can get more overtime...but be careful...that overtime will be for straight pay...I love suckers and so do the companies...lol

By the way...just what in the hell do you know about a union anyway...except your hatred and ignorance of it!
Why would i hate a union? The teamsters eatablished what the market has today which is falling apart. Wish teamsters would've campaigned for us over here 2 years ago when they had the opportunity. They chose not to for whatever reason. My whole point docker is why are the teamsters selling out the Ltl market. They sold out yrc which abf is now paying for it. So do you kill abf Or Do you question your union reps?

In the last election, Hoffa campaigned of an organization drive for fed freight. He got reelected, then the drive stopped immediately. And you guys keep electing this guy because?

wedontwanttostrike.gif

Just curious Docker, do you think ABF could survive a strike or would that mean the end of the union side of ABC?

Why would i hate a union? The teamsters eatablished what the market has today which is falling apart. Wish teamsters would've campaigned for us over here 2 years ago when they had the opportunity. They chose not to for whatever reason. My whole point docker is why are the teamsters selling out the Ltl market. They sold out yrc which abf is now paying for it. So do you kill abf Or Do you question your union reps?

I don't discuss my disagreements with the union reps with non union...this is the ABF forum in case you haven't noticed...to which this article was posted for...not for you to come and push your non union crap...there's a union...non union section for that. So if you came here looking for trouble...you found it!

What was your message again...oh yeah...just give the company what it wants and continue to work...go peddle that BS over on the ConWay forum...they might accept that crap over there!