ODFL | Worst run?

Redeemed

TB Lurker
Credits
As a compliment to the other thread in your opinion what is the worst run in OD?

If you go strictly by the company route guide I would have to put in a vote for GBO-FAY-GVL turns.

So whats yours?

hmmm if i go by the route then any run to Indiana they want you to run thru downtown chicago on 90/94 which is under major construction which i see is more than a hazard than just taking 294 s to Indiana

As a compliment to the other thread in your opinion what is the worst run in OD?

If you go strictly by the company route guide I would have to put in a vote for GBO-FAY-GVL turns.

So whats yours?

O.D. has bad runs ??????

i know of some less desirable runs that consist of 200 miles to the break bulk then the guys sit for 3 or 4 hours then drive back 200 miles. not for me. i spend every available minute i can on the clock. working, not screwing off somewhere.

after the the 4:00am break i get my projection report and i'm looking up where my freight is and who is unloading it. if it is due that day i do what i can to help them get to it so i can get it loaded on my trailers, and get back home.

it's more work than when i'm driving all night.
but it sure is alot easier than that roofing i did on my two days off.

No such thing as a bad run at OD.

Well, the way I see it, there are no bad runs at OD. I have been here for 15 years and the miles are good on the turns and the linehaul. And you guys kind of strecth the truth don't you? I have never, ever had to sit 3 hours at any terminal at anytime execpt years ago at the Jersey City terminal, which they always paid us something after 12 including your break same as today. Those guys who run 400 miles or even less is the ones who don't or don't have to work. OD has some of the best scheuled running of any company I know and I have been around for more than 32 yrs, and I have worked for some of the big names in the past that are not here today. You guys better learn you got it made. You don't what the older guys had to do in the past to get what we have today and I'm talking to all trucking company's. You don't know how are it was in the 70's, 80's. So don't gripe, feel bless, that you have such a laid back job. These other outfits are great too, but they don't know how easy you guys have it, and how easy it is to work with when you need time off, and working with you when a family member is in the hospital, and you need to stay around close, you know what I'm talking about. The wild drivers or extra board has it better today than I would have ever dream it could be. They get great time off, and if they want to run more they can, come home or stay out, your choice, how can it be a bad run here, especially the money you make. Come on now, you know just like I know and if it was not true, you would have done left, but most of you are like me...you can't drag me away from this company, it's just to dang good. That is a fact Jack.....I know Jim Bob is reading this and he knows, he was there about 30 some years...ask him....take care guys...You are the best.....:1036316054:

Well, the way I see it, there are no bad runs at OD. I have been here for 15 years and the miles are good on the turns and the linehaul. And you guys kind of strecth the truth don't you? I have never, ever had to sit 3 hours at any terminal at anytime execpt years ago at the Jersey City terminal, which they always paid us something after 12 including your break same as today. Those guys who run 400 miles or even less is the ones who don't or don't have to work. OD has some of the best scheuled running of any company I know and I have been around for more than 32 yrs, and I have worked for some of the big names in the past that are not here today. You guys better learn you got it made. You don't what the older guys had to do in the past to get what we have today and I'm talking to all trucking company's. You don't know how are it was in the 70's, 80's. So don't gripe, feel bless, that you have such a laid back job. These other outfits are great too, but they don't know how easy you guys have it, and how easy it is to work with when you need time off, and working with you when a family member is in the hospital, and you need to stay around close, you know what I'm talking about. The wild drivers or extra board has it better today than I would have ever dream it could be. They get great time off, and if they want to run more they can, come home or stay out, your choice, how can it be a bad run here, especially the money you make. Come on now, you know just like I know and if it was not true, you would have done left, but most of you are like me...you can't drag me away from this company, it's just to dang good. That is a fact Jack.....I know Jim Bob is reading this and he knows, he was there about 30 some years...ask him....take care guys...You are the best.....:1036316054:

Shifter has a strong point about O.D.'s flexibility.I visited several other forums last night and comparing the stress factor at other companys to O.D. made me realize I spent 30 years in the place that was suitable to me.Laidback is as good a word as any to describe the policies.If you need a little time off,change you hours to take care of something,or just need a little extra consideration to take care of something that has come up MOST of the time you can get it.I know other places pay more and have better benefits but I just didn't need the stress or arguements that go with them.

I guess I should have clarified my topic a little further because in no way did I want to say that OD was not a good place to work. I have only been driving for a year now (9 months at OD) and it is even clear to me that OD is the top end of what is available in the trucking industry. For those who don't believe that, try one of the OTR companies and spend 6-10 days at a time in a truck with a trainer.

That said does OD have some issues? Yes. Have I waited 3 hours or more at a terminal. Yes, many times, and more than willing to share the log book to prove it. But does that make OD a bad company? No way. Does it make me or others bad drivers because we see something that can be improved and speak up? No.

I may be new to the trucking industry but I have been in the working world for 20 years and I will tell you this....there is no job out there that is the "life of riley." I have had some of the best jobs with great companies but there is none where I have had it made, including OD. You work for everything you get. It's kinda like what John Wayne said in one of his movies. Do you intend to give me a fair days work, then I will pay you a fair days wage. That way we at the end of the day we can both hold our heads up.:1036316054:

By worst runs I mean runs that take you through obstacles that are not really necessary (because the route guide says different) or runs that go thru some tough areas (bad roads, city traffic, etc) because there is no other alternate route.

any run into jcy or bkn is a bad run not only do the streets suck but so do the yards at the term you have to strap everything in the truck down before going or it will be in the floor:TR10driving03:

Bad Run

I Must Say The Gbo To Harrisburg Sucks That 220 From Gbo To Roa Is The Worst Part And All Those Hills Just My Two Cents.

last count 104 stop lights
!
wow if you get stopped at every light for an average of 2 minutes per light that would be an extra 204 minutes or 3 hours and 24 minutes:chairshot: :hysterical: ...i hope that never happens to you.

I Must Say The Gbo To Harrisburg Sucks That 220 From Gbo To Roa Is The Worst Part And All Those Hills Just My Two Cents.

I have seen 220 from GBO to ROA and you are right. It sucks. I like taking 29 out of GBO, then take exit 153 and cut back over to 220. Doesnt get you off the hills but at least cuts out all those red lights getting out of GBO.

are you guys professional drivers or not?

I can't belive you guys are worried so much about 220, from gbo to roa. My gosh you should have run it before they straighten it out. What do want. The highway system was not built for your comfort, so are you a driver or not. You must go where the freight goes, or you need to get some other kind of job. I have never, nor would I have ever belive suppose to be professional drivers would gripe about so much of a little thing. I wish you had to do some of the runs I have had to in the last 33 years and you would love what you have today. A few stop lights, dang does that really bother you that bad, I say if it does , go do something else, cause this is trucking, and you either want or you don't. It is never going to be change to fit your life, it is not to be, it is what it is. Wake up drivers, you could be in a country where you roll logs all day long for pennies and some bread. Don't gripe about your easy life. You puzzle me, cause I know how easy you got it. If this job and this industry is not good enough for you, then nothing in the world would be, in my opinion.

answer you own question

Hey kbiddog, if is the word. You know and I know you are not going to spend 2 min. at each traffic signal. Wake up man. The run is the run, if you can't do it, then tell dispatch, they will help you out.....out the gate. It is part of your job and you have to do it if you work here just like any other trucking company that runs the same run, it is what it is, so make something positive out of it. Drive safe, and keep a good attitude and you find your trip to be better than ever. You probably make over half of the lights most of the time if not 75% of them. Take care.

Lighten up a little friend.Complaining and trucking go together.The average person in the trucking business can out complain any other profession 2 to 1.