SAIA | Would be nice if company scratched our back every once in a while

linehauler1212

TB Lurker
Credits
total b.s that our whole terminal was off Monday with no pay I would have rather worked but not this company they just stick it to you any chance they get

total b.s that our whole terminal was off Monday with no pay I would have rather worked but not this company they just stick it to you any chance they get
Pretty standard operating procedure for this time of year. All LTL companies are slow now so they cut when they can. You just need to concern yourself with lay-offs at this point. This company takes pride in sticking it to you without you seeing it coming. In this dog eat dog world SAIA stands alone at the top.

I don’t know why, I called all the time when I wanted to work extra. Figured they’d say there’s nothing if there’s nothing. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Any extra work is usually assigned to whoever Central wants. It’s just a power trip for those assholes. They have a list of their favorites. You should know that. I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of saying no. **** them!

Any extra work is usually assigned to whoever Central wants. It’s just a power trip for those assholes. They have a list of their favorites. You should know that. I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of saying no. :censored: them!

Well, linehaul has priority and system drivers even more so. Why would they pick a city driver that ‘had’ to work days or ‘had’ to be back or could only work X amount of hours, etc.... If you want to run linehaul all you had to do was become a linehaul driver. Simple.

Well, linehaul has priority and system drivers even more so. Why would they pick a city driver that ‘had’ to work days or ‘had’ to be back or could only work X amount of hours, etc.... If you want to run linehaul all you had to do was become a linehaul driver. Simple.

You are missing the point. During my tenure, ALL drivers were warned about calling in to central looking for extra runs. You have clearly identified yourself as a L/H driver. For the sake of argument:

If you are Linehaul, and didn’t miss a run during the week, but I am City and missed 1 day due to “short staffing”...and there was an extra Linehaul run on Saturday, wouldn’t it make more sense to give it to me, rather than you? Think about it. Even in the spirit of teamwork. Or, do you disagree?

You are missing the point. During my tenure, ALL drivers were warned about calling in to central looking for extra runs. You have clearly identified yourself as a L/H driver. For the sake of argument:

If you are Linehaul, and didn’t miss a run during the week, but I am City and missed 1 day due to “short staffing”...and there was an extra Linehaul run on Saturday, wouldn’t it make more sense to give it to me, rather than you? Think about it. Even in the spirit of teamwork. Or, do you disagree?
Should a linehaul driver be able to work the city if he missed a run?

I don’t recall the original poster stating whether he was linehaul or city. I just assumed his run was cut because of no freight and he was a line driver.

City always had the opportunity to run Saturday. You just put your name on the list because most line drivers didn’t want Saturday at my terminal. They were supposed to go by seniority but the never did.

This is my scenario being a city driver. It was only for Saturday work. I was told that city drivers have priority on the weekend runs. I have been offered to fill in for a line haul run through out the week when we we’re slow and a line haul driver was off for vaca.

Do we have to cut and post the paragraph from the driver handbook again? The simple fact is central uses the drivers that they know want to work and the drivers that are dependable and don’t make excuses when they are called on. If you want to work keep a good relationship with the dispatchers and they will work you all you want. I know what it says about calling them but I’ve never had nothing said to me about it. If I’m gonna have to work on Saturday I’m not going to sit by the phone and wait on them for hours.

City always had the opportunity to run Saturday. You just put your name on the list because most line drivers didn’t want Saturday at my terminal. They were supposed to go by seniority but the never did.

And if they didn’t get any volunteers, they made you work anyway from the bottom up

No, I don’t agree. If there is extra runs left over after the linehaul drivers that do this every day then fine, but at some point in every terminal city drivers have had the opportunity to become linehaul drivers and vise-versa. Maintain your lane. Don’t reach into someone else’s pocket because you want the five day week where you have support because your in town and don’t want to take the risk and responsibilities for being out in the road even if your back every day. Linehaul that wants extra linehaul work should get first shot. We get caught out of town due to weather and breakdowns and might get a half days pay and incur other costs. No one cares about that. It’s trucking. That being said, getting cut is part of trucking. Budget your life for that, don’t reach into someone else’s pockets for your choices.

Do we have to cut and post the paragraph from the driver handbook again? The simple fact is central uses the drivers that they know want to work and the drivers that are dependable and don’t make excuses when they are called on. If you want to work keep a good relationship with the dispatchers and they will work you all you want. I know what it says about calling them but I’ve never had nothing said to me about it. If I’m gonna have to work on Saturday I’m not going to sit by the phone and wait on them for hours.

Yup. Sometimes you gotta take that CLT to FLO run on a race weekend and suffer those 150 red lights. (Hope that has gotten better.) Sometimes you gotta take that DEN to GRJ in the snow on a weekend. You step up to the plate for the bad runs and you’ll get the good runs too. You show them you want to work and they’ll work you if it’s there. I was never chastised for trying to hustle a load on a weekend or extending on a Friday night instead of coming back home so I could get an extra run. Want it, earn it.

Maybe it’s not my topic to weigh in on but the way I’ve seen it play out is line drivers could care less about city and vice versa when it comes to each other’s winnings and the company could care even less. There’s been times when they cut a line one day and then offered him a drop & hook or a short city delv. later in the week to make up for it when he gets back from his run with extra hours left and they wouldn’t do it. I’m told when I got cut during the week to call central to see if they need you, so what’s right? Should I not since they cut you earlier. So everyone is looking out for their own interests. I Don’t see guys willing to stay in their lane when cuts happen.

The days of me wanting to work weekends, in order to make up lost work time or to make an extra run, are long over. However, I found the best way was to call early, on a Sunday morning. By this time of the weekend, any extra runs had already been scheduled but the last minute stuff, that pops up for whatever reason, still needs to be moved. Like Suicidejockey posted, if the Sunday Central guys know that they can depend on you to bail them out, and if there are late breaking runs, the Sunday guys will schedule you and be grateful that you called. I never had a word said to me, either, about calling.

As far as using city guys to cover Linehaul, I don't like the idea. It's not so much the driving part but the general knowledge of how the nuts and bolts work, of a Linehaul run. They take your usual tractor instead of that piece of crap, that they drive in the city and that's never a good thing, they don't know the locations, what to do when they get there, no bulk fuel cards, even how to hook a set, and the worst part, they usually have your phone number. Hell, you might as well have gone with them.