ABF | Would you defer your contract raises until December. ABF Only

Would you defer raises until December?

• YES I WOULD!

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • NO I WOULD NOT!

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Why, is this a demand in negotiations or just a question? in any case, my answer would be ..no ty
I would , however be willing to pay up to $10 more a month in dues to improve organizing efforts and maybe have some sort of supplimental short term disability insurance. I think we can do much, much more when it comes to improving our image and building our membership. Have a good evening Muler and ty for the question. :)

Do you mean move our yearly raises TO December or only the first one and then have them in April for the remainder of the contract? I know that by moving our bimonthly check by one day ol uncle sam saved a bunch of money back in the eighties(really just put it into the next month but it saved the budget because of the way it is accounted for).
I would say as a part of an overall decent contract I would definitely consider it.

Why, is this a demand in negotiations or just a question? in any case, my answer would be ..no ty
I would , however be willing to pay up to $10 more a month in dues to improve organizing efforts and maybe have some sort of supplimental short term disability insurance. I think we can do much, much more when it comes to improving our image and building our membership. Have a good evening Muler and ty for the question. :)
This is not a union thing.

Not sure, Brother Muler. I'd like to see the entire wage package, and I think the length of the contract itself might play into that. There may be a possibility that your proposal may end up to be in our best interests, company-futurewise, though.

Cash flow is the key to such a proposal. It allows ABF the luxury of not getting involved in a pricing war. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Cash flow is the key to such a proposal. It allows ABF the luxury of not getting involved in a pricing war. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

You are right about the pricing war part of it. Sounds like something to go after. Joe the plumber likes it too !!! It's not too often he agrees with you. No dig at you Joe, i know you do your homework.

I don't know, I suspect Plunger Joe's response is sarcastic. And there is nothing wrong with taking a dig at him, he has earned it.

When you say defer the raises, do you mean not getting a raise until December or get the raise April first and not get the pay until December? I just want to be clear on exactly what you mean before I answer the poll.

When you say defer the raises, do you mean not getting a raise until December or get the raise April first and not get the pay until December? I just want to be clear on exactly what you mean before I answer the poll.
Receive the pay raise in April and get the pay every December.

I don't know about it, it sounds like an interest free loan to the company. They already have our pay for an extra week as it is and that saves/makes them money.

I remember when I was a kid, lots of people had Christmas Club accounts... You put in a little every week and at Christmas time you took it out as a lump sum. They didn't pay interest either since they didn't charge any fees. I would rather let ABF use a little money for free than a bank or the IRS... People who get a big check at tax time are letting the government use their money for free too... With the interest rates where they are, you are probably talking about $5 or $6...

To defer the raise payments until December would not really affect our livelihoods. But as a whole it would free up money for cash flow for ABF.
The real problem yrc has had is pricing. Because they were left without any means of a steady cash flow they had to sharply discount the freight they were hauling and that was their only means to their cash flow problem.
Even though ABF is not in those dire straits a deferment of our raise would allow them the added luxury as to not be forced into discounting freight just to keep up their cash flow. In turn they are more profitable. When profit margins are smaller the companies all push drivers and dockworkers to the dangerous point to make up for the lack of profit due to discounting. It could be a win win for all. It is just something to look at. Someone working 50 hours a week would be deferring roughly $1144.00 At that rate it would free up roughly $8.008,000.00 a year YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

To defer the raise payments until December would not really affect our livelihoods. But as a whole it would free up money for cash flow for ABF.
The real problem yrc has had is pricing. Because they were left without any means of a steady cash flow they had to sharply discount the freight they were hauling and that was their only means to their cash flow problem.
Even though ABF is not in those dire straits a deferment of our raise would allow them the added luxury as to not be forced into discounting freight just to keep up their cash flow. In turn they are more profitable. When profit margins are smaller the companies all push drivers and dockworkers to the dangerous point to make up for the lack of profit due to discounting. It could be a win win for all. It is just something to look at. Someone working 50 hours a week would be deferring roughly $1144.00 At that rate it would free up roughly $8.008,000.00 a year YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
Sorry to intrude on ABF ONLY....would the $8,800,000.00 bill not be coming due when the Freight levels are at their historical lowest?

Sorry to intrude on ABF ONLY....would the $8,800,000.00 bill not be coming due when the Freight levels are at their historical lowest?
Not really for us at ABF. One month a year and ABF recoups quickly on their tax returns by filing their taxes which they would receive in a couple months.. As you can see there has been some thinking on the matter.