FedEx Freight | Wow, another "freight" company...

Misfit

What's next?
Credits
Looks like YRC's "throwing their hat in the ring." YRC Freight? Maybe the new name change will increase business, or maybe they are planning on going non union, like CF did changing to Conway, now Conway Freight.

? Freight, ? Freight, ? Freight. Who's next?

Since they are leaving the next day program anyway, who cares? Maybe ABF...

:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Please, your version first.

Con-way Inc. traces its history to Leland James, who, in 1929, founded a small regional trucking company in Portland, Oregon, named Consolidated Truck Lines. The company enjoyed great success through expansion and acquisition, and was later renamed Consolidated Freightways (CF).

James’ company would experience a number of changes over the course of time, including when, in 1983, the corporation known as Con-way Transportation Services was founded. Con-way was created to provide nonunion, regional short-haul service in markets where CF wasn’t actively selling its services. The regional companies Con-way Central Express (CCX), Con-way Western Express (CWX) and Con-way Eastern Express (CEX) were established as part of this strategy.

Con-way Inc. traces its history to Leland James, who, in 1929, founded a small regional trucking company in Portland, Oregon, named Consolidated Truck Lines. The company enjoyed great success through expansion and acquisition, and was later renamed Consolidated Freightways (CF).

James’ company would experience a number of changes over the course of time, including when, in 1983, the corporation known as Con-way Transportation Services was founded. Con-way was created to provide nonunion, regional short-haul service in markets where CF wasn’t actively selling its services. The regional companies Con-way Central Express (CCX), Con-way Western Express (CWX) and Con-way Eastern Express (CEX) were established as part of this strategy.

That's right and they closed the doors on CF a union company after they bleed it dry to keep the non- union company going. One holding company with one union company and 3 non-union companys. Closed one merged 3.

I don't care what they call themselves, if the over night freight gets approval and is canceled, its a great opportunity for us to pick up some new business. Or, maybe its a secret plan by YRCF to take two days to deliver the over night freight. That should raise their on time percentage. TP

Exactly! You really think they are gonna lay down on this one? They ain't rolling out those new "Freight" trucks fer nothing fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like YRC's "throwing their hat in the ring." YRC Freight? Maybe the new name change will increase business, or maybe they are planning on going non union, like CF did changing to Conway, now Conway Freight.

Another one typing before they have all their facts straight, must be another young gun!!

Please, your version first.
As the post directly inferred that when CF went away, Conway immediately replaced it, I wanted to clarify an apparent misperception. As I am no longer constrained by my 2012 resolution, this should be enjoyable.

I knew it was to much to ask to enter into an off the cuff discussion of the history of the industry. Things like why trucking was regulated, why it was deregulated. The effects of deregulation, doublebreasting, who the players were. Things like that.
Oh, BTW, nice cut and paste job. Jeff's going to love that.

Last edited by a moderator:

I may be mistaken but Conway was around long before CF went away. In fact along with bad management, Union problems and Conway & Overnite competition CornFlake went bye bye. I think you mean CFI

CF didnt turn into Conway really. They had the same parent company and transferred resources the Conway until CF couldnt go on.

I think its smart of yrc freight to get out of the nextday sector and give it all to holland and reddaway. Why have all these companies under one unbrella focusing on the same task. So if yrc freight takes long haul, holland and reddaway take all next day and they give up their long haul, customers know which trailer to put their freight on depending where it goes. YRC freight is not going anywhere and not getting rid of the union. They are getting more organized and a new president means new principals. I for one applaude them and their efforts. And for the guy that said cf turned into conway. that is the dumbest thing I ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONGWAY said:
I think its smart of yrc freight to get out of the nextday sector and give it all to holland and reddaway. Why have all these companies under one unbrella focusing on the same task. So if yrc freight takes long haul, holland and reddaway take all next day and they give up their long haul, customers know which trailer to put their freight on depending where it goes. YRC freight is not going anywhere and not getting rid of the union. They are getting more organized and a new president means new principals. I for one applaude them and their efforts. And for the guy that said cf turned into conway. that is the dumbest thing I ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree,except for the part about "giving" freight to the regionals. They dont have a central dispatch or combined sales force,their still going to have to work for that freight.

That's right and they closed the doors on CF a union company after they bleed it dry to keep the non- union company going. One holding company with one union company and 3 non-union companys. Closed one merged 3.

Well, that's kinda right, but in '99 what was then known as CF Motor Freight was spun off from the parent company known as CNF which owned CF, the Con-ways and Emery Worldwide. When CF went tits up in '02 they were on their own. The parent company saw the writing on the wall and cut them adrift to sink or swim on their own. CNF is now known as Con-way, Inc.