FedEx Freight | Wow can we use a new truck,or 2!!!

Hey I was at the Volvo plant in Va the other day. It actually had a few Nat trucks waiting on Del,but in passing they were hard to see in the pile of Frt trucks there.

400,000 miles?
This truck has just been broken in.
I drive P & D for UPS Freight.
The asigned tractor I have is a 95 Volvo with 989650 on the odometer and its still running just dandy.
I've seen some older Overnite Volvo's at my terminal that turned the odometer over and are still running fine,on their second million miles.
The trick is the upkeep,change the oil,filters,with a PM every three months,drive it like you owned it,and you'll have a very reliable power unit for a long time.

I'm going into my 44th year as a local driver,20.2 Teamsters all the rest non-union believe me I've driven some real junkers for many different companies over that time.
This old tractor I have now is like a caddy compared to some of the DOT rejects that some of the LTL freight companies used to run back in the day.

I see those Fed Ex National tractors at POS.
Man they realy went right through them. Looks like a brand new truck. Some, even new seats. If they go down the road as good as they look I don't know.

My 98 Volvo is headed National's way. Someone will get a Great truck ! I loved it. It rode and drove great, smooth and quiet. Had 578K on it. They gave me one with over 600K on it. Oh well, those Volvo's are good trucks overall. I drove one in the city before the road.

They put a set of recaps on my assigned unit a week ago, which created a bad vibration as apparently these tirs are out of round. They kept it in for 2 days then put new steers on it, still has vibration from the recaps but the shop manager says run with them and sometimes it goes away, anyone else have an issue with recaps being bad?

FM

FM, We haven't really had problems with caps recently, but the last couple years has shown a Big problem with those goodyear steer tires. You have to hold the wheel real tight to keep it from wobbling... Guess they are getting them real cheap.... I totally understand saving money, heck, that puts more in our pockets.. But when it cost's you more in the long run,,, (by replacing set after set), then it might be time to look at other options... How many owner-operators do you know of who prefer goodyear's ????

Familyman, where do you run to? And is that what you go by on the radio?

KCY, (Edwardsville,KS) And yes it is, oddly enough I run with..... Fireman, lol.

We gate at 20:15 and usually get to KCY around 00:00.
Return can be anywhere from 0100 to 0300 arriving back anywhere from 0500 - 0700.

I've talked to a few of FXFN drivers on the road, some don't respond, either on a different channel or just don't want to talk.

FM

Familyman, most of the drivers over here won't talk to each other on the road, let alone wave. Most of our teams don't even run a two way.

Hello Joe,
I'll wave at ya :smilie_132: lol.

I did hear one lady that was a contractor running team, she was headed for ATL on her last run, needless to say she was not a happy camper.

She had alot of bad things to say about FX, I talked to her for just a couple mins as she was going the other way and wished her well in her new job.

FM

2 ways

Familyman, most of the drivers over here won't talk to each other on the road, let alone wave. Most of our teams don't even run a two way.

I must say that 9 out of 10 FXNL trucks wave back at me.

With SIRIUS,XM, weather/ traffic channels and dot warning signs,the 2 way can be an added stress. These days anyway.

Cause lets face it 9 out of 10 times "These days" when I turn on the 2 way it's very Darwinian.:duh: :tongue0015: :nutkick:

Not to say the 2 way is useless. 2 weeks ago I used it from SCH to MIL during a heavy snow storm. I turn it on in heavy fog also.

all have a safe Merry Christmas & Happy New Year/Dave

where do you run into pos from I go there everynight ?

Look closer at those seats. You will see where they took the needle and thread to their holes and tears. When they start to wash them the red paint on the old 1998/97 /96 frames comes back through, as the new black spray paint flakes off with each wash.

man dlscontractor, you got some axe to grind, get over it man and quit whining. All of your post lately are negative. Make the most of it and try to have a merry Christmas.