TForce | Wow just shove it in our face!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will) But before when we were "O" we only used about 10% of contract carriers and I believe the contract says they may use up to 29% that's 3 times what we were used to seeing. I think the NMFA allows for 29% too. That may be why there appears to be more "Shiny Wheels" on the yard.:smilie_132:Why do they put Grey wheels on branded trucks? I thought UPS was all about image? Washbay (term used loosely) has no soap and 1/2 a hosepipe trucks are filthy, Wazzup?

That is the absolute, best attitude any steward could ever have! Best interests of the company in mind and protect the rights (under contract) of the employee! That is all that the Union ever asks of a company. Besides an "honest days pay for an honest days work"! Things will smooth out for you Skeeter, and it will be good. Mark my words. Shoe.:1036316054:

My feeling is that there are enough people looking out for the company's interest. We don't need our stewards doing that as well. Maybe I'M wrong. I don't know. I'd like to think that the one guy I can count on the most to stand up for me is the guy standing right next to me. I've filed grievances that the BA shut down. Contractors, working off the clock and others that were sent back saying it's too soon. Now, it's likely too late.

I'm not bitter about it. I guess it's just what it was supposed to be. I'm just one guy and my most important mission is making a living for my family. If the union won't work for me, then I'll just worry about working for myself. We still have some benefits for organizing and I guess that's something.

One more thing I'd like to add is that we have only two weapons against this process and they are strikes and decerts. Not that we're looking to do it, but the threat of it is what should make the union and company respect us. Throwing those words around shouldn't be viewed as such a negative. It is all we have and if we're sitting here getting screwed and this isn't working for us, what else are we to talk about?

My feeling is that there are enough people looking out for the company's interest. We don't need our stewards doing that as well. Maybe I'M wrong. I don't know. I'd like to think that the one guy I can count on the most to stand up for me is the guy standing right next to me. I've filed grievances that the BA shut down. Contractors, working off the clock and others that were sent back saying it's too soon. Now, it's likely too late.

I'm not bitter about it. I guess it's just what it was supposed to be. I'm just one guy and my most important mission is making a living for my family. If the union won't work for me, then I'll just worry about working for myself. We still have some benefits for organizing and I guess that's something.

One more thing I'd like to add is that we have only two weapons against this process and they are strikes and decerts. Not that we're looking to do it, but the threat of it is what should make the union and company respect us. Throwing those words around shouldn't be viewed as such a negative. It is all we have and if we're sitting here getting screwed and this isn't working for us, what else are we to talk about?

I didn't mean look out for the company first then the driver. If a problem can be settled before filing a grievance to both parties satisfaction then no need to file. If cost the union also. With UPS believe me I'm for the driver first...:1036316054:

I'm just checking in on my former company here now,and then to see how things are going now that most of you are Teamsters.
I've been retired for a whole two months ,and it feels like I'm on a perminate vacation.

not to get off the topic,I just noticed your upset and theres a lot of venting,and whinning on this thread topic.
I've read over all of the posts.
I'm also not here as a Truckingboard Moderator either.
Just want to throw out my 2 cents on this topic.

With all that said,I haven't got a clue of what your contract says about contractors?

I'm only going to address how any problem can be solved.
Whinning,and venting solves nothing.
Your terminals union steward is your first step.
They are the very first link between you,and any authority figures.

But even before you get to the point of grieving any issue.
You need a very good paper trail.
A digital camera,and a daily log of any contract violations will give you the ammo you need to start the process.

You have to remember maybe UPS is used to dealling with the Teamsters,but thats the parcel division.
they like all of you have to get used to what they can get away with under the freight side.

Once they are able to get away with some issue written in your contract without any oppossion from anyone.
You may never get it restored.

So there you have it,I've said my piece according to what I knew as a Teamster way back in the day.
If your a dues paying union member your voice should be heard,on any contract violations.
Win,or lose at least you did your part.
But whinning,and crying in a rant without any actions,is a total waste of time,and energy.

With UPS believe me I'm for the driver first...:1036316054:

That's good to hear. I wasn't trying to single you out. There are company guys and there are union guys. I'd hope that the guys we elect as stewards are good union guys, not company guys. Thanks for the clarification.

The most important quality of a Steward is patience. The process takes time. Any contract can be violated. You must be diligent and never give up. All good grievances will be heard. Good things come to those who wait. The greatest thing now is that stonewalling will get the management nothing but a delay. They will have to face the music. There is no running awy from the grievances. The Stewards #1 job is to protect the members rights, under the contract. That is it! :1036316054:

Wow you sure took my post the wrong way...let me clarify! There was a contract proposal, the company agreed to it and the MAJORITY of the employees did too. After that it gets real simple. Both the company AND the employee operates the business following the negotiated contract. No ifs, ands, or buts! If they arent following the contract, then file on it. The best interest for the employees is to keep the company in business or we wont have to worry about grievances, paychecks etc... Hold them to the contract period. Shoe out!:1036316054:

The Union Sold You Down The River With Out A Paddle, When Did They Ever Care About You Or Anyone Else?

That was my position way before any contract was even considered. Now they have us, and our dues, for the next five years. If this contractor issue isnt straightened out real quick then I for one wouldnt have a problem telling the union to take a hike next go around, I mean it would be like taxation without representation. Getting it ironed out "just before" this contract expires wont cut it either. Politicians give stuff away all the time just before a vote. Then kind of forget about it. When the local organizer came by our area he said as soon as we sign, the contractors would come to a screeching halt.

You should be filing on it already. Trailer/tractor numbers, everything you can get..... hold em to it.:1036316054:

Already are as much as I can....It don't effect me directly but all theinfo I can send to people I know at the places it does....All I can send them....And SLC is in some kind of holding pattern with ratifying the contract....But they are the ones that really go crazy with the grievances......

Well, You know what I say to that. If the union don't do anything about it then we all decertify. Why pay the dues if we get nothing in return. Skeeter! Just waiting and watching over and out.
Remember if this keeps up and all we do is belly ache on this and other boards then I'm done.:1036316054:

I agree....Lip service does nothing.....And LOS LAX LAS PHO....They are the ones that better step up.....And DVR....Well hell even the ones back east.....The union will only do what we push for....We do control the direction....We might not get what we want all the time but power in numbers....

Shouldn't be a surprise I had a whole thread explaining how that would work before the contract passed.

If freight goes from dallas to fontana but has 2 relay terminals inbetween and if 1 of the legs between Fon and DAL pulls empties the company CAN send the freight from point A to Point B with a subcontractor and cut all runs inbetween.

Noone seemed to care before why the fuss now that we agreed to the contract?

Uh I was ...and very vocal about it....So does this mean that you throw in the trowel and....Tuck your tail....Who cares about timing or whatever....Some people it has to get all up close and personal....Then they suddenly care....

No, but now the contract is passed there is no sense in complaining about it.

The contract gives the company the right to do what the situation you described.

No, but now the contract is passed there is no sense in complaining about it.

The contract gives the company the right to do what the situation you described.

Yes and no.....If people are not working they need to be used first....And is it peak season or when does peak season EXACTLY come into play?????

that is for the reassignment of drivers.

Not sure where we are seeing different things here.....The way I unserstand it is that they can use contractors to cover runs that are over flow for peak PERIOD (wouldn't want to make the mistake of using a word that means the same damn thing) as to not move drivers....That makes sense.....But the paragraph before is very explicit about how they can not use any contractors to avoid adding or use to replace....If we sit on our hands like you are suggesting....We wont have jobs to fight for...You think that NMFA has all those paragraphs after the same paragraphs we have because they just put them in without grievances and a fight??????...I know what it says but I sure as hell am not going to just give them the benefit of the doubt.....Stand up grow a pair.....The lines are meant to be read between and too many are afraid or don't have the fortitude to challenge it....