TForce | Writing your Congressmen

You do realize the ones in the border states do Not represent you since they are not one of your elected officials..... unless of course you vote in more than one state. Any association with ACORN?:biglaugh:

Yes I am very aware of that However when I wrote the officials in border states I informed them that I had relatives that lived in their state and that I belonged to trade organizations that had members in their state.

I ghess I should have made myself more clear. We didn't win. It did go to arbitration as did the issue with contractor carriers back in January. Maybe you (Rocketman) can tell us when these issues will actually be heard, because no one in Memphis knows, or do you keep everything a secret from the members at your barn as well. If it sounds like I have a bad attitude well I do. If you care to know why I will send you a message. All I meant in my previous post was why did it have to go to the arbitrator? The contract is clear. If I'm told to be at work at 9 p.m. then I should be able to go on the clock at 9p.m. We get paid as an hourly employee for drops and hooks right? What would a city driver do if he was told not to clock in because his load was not ready at his scheduled start time, the start time that he bid on? I think that it certainly would not have to go to an arbitrator to be decided, most likely it would not even go past the first day it happened. Why should a linehall driver be any different? Maybe I'm just ignorant because I don't understand. Maybe you could explain it to me and help me get my attitude right. Our job stewards in Memphis only tells us what they want us to know. I understand that there are certain things that should be kept quiet until the right time, but I am a dues paying member that has supported this union since 1995, and when a job steward tells me to mind my own business when I question him about signing in and out, which it states in the contract that all drivers must sign in and out, it will give me a bad attitude. I feel that I'm just as much a part of this union as anyone else and anything that concerns this union is my business. I hope that you treat the members at your barn with the respect that they diserve. Ya'll have a good one.

Goatman
As for when the arbotrator will hear this, no I don't know. I also don't keep my members in the dark or keep secrets from them. And the best answer that I can give you on why this went to arbitration is MAYBE the fact that it involved alot of back pay. Again just my guess
I don't know if you are a dock,city or road member in Memphis you did not specify. I do know that I speak on a semi regular basis with the road stewards there and that they send group e-mails on issues that affect their members(as do I) last I heard they had about 80 e-mail contacts. Hope this helps, if you are not on the e-mail list maybe you could ask your stewards to add you.
Take care
Be Safe

Yes I am very aware of that However when I wrote the officials in border states I informed them that I had relatives that lived in their state and that I belonged to trade organizations that had members in their state.
I'm sure they really care that you have relatives in their state.
Maybe you should offer to pay each relative an hour of pay to write their own letter to their own elected officials.

I'm sure they really care that you have relatives in their state.
Maybe you should offer to pay each relative an hour of pay to write their own letter to their own elected officials.

Thanks for the suggestion BUT NO THANKS they realize that they need to do what they can to improve their lot in life by writing on their own, gratis,oh btw that means for free. kinda like pro bono , again for free.
Take Care:biglaugh:

Thanks for the suggestion BUT NO THANKS they realize that they need to do what they can to improve their lot in life by writing on their own, gratis,oh btw that means for free. kinda like pro bono , again for free.
Take Care:biglaugh:
Did you write your letter for free.... or sell out to UPS and take their money (clock time)?

Just curious.

If you feel that strongly about it, maybe you should have some honor and call payroll and give back the pay for the letter campaign.

Did you write your letter for free.... or sell out to UPS and take their money (clock time)?

Just curious.

If you feel that strongly about it, maybe you should have some honor and call payroll and give back the pay for the letter campaign.

Well for those among us with short attention spans I believe that is what started this exchange, I will review.
I posted that I in fact had written, e-mailed etc.. my representitives before the company and the union asked me to because I felt it was/is an important issue affecting my future. I do this with all such legistlation, not just industry related. Thanks for helping me clear that up.

Just curious.

I wonder when the coffee and donuts are put out in the morning how many people feel guilty that the company is paying for this and pay them for what they consumed!:eck13:

I wonder when the coffee and donuts are put out in the morning how many people feel guilty that the company is paying for this and pay them for what they consumed!:eck13:

Getting paid to tell a legislator that I support something and eating a donut aren't even close in my world. I am particular who I take money from and for what. I don't like to set my price too low. And once you take their money for something like this, do you think they might give you their side of an issue and have you do it again?

Well for those among us with short attention spans I believe that is what started this exchange, I will review.
I posted that I in fact had written, e-mailed etc.. my representitives before the company and the union asked me to because I felt it was/is an important issue affecting my future. I do this with all such legistlation, not just industry related. Thanks for helping me clear that up.
I don't have a short attention span.

Apparently the only part of that post that really caught my attention was the idiocy of writing senators that you have no ability to elect because they do not represent you.

But lets not be naive.
Had you not already written your senator, you would have taken the money to do it for UPS.

I didn't write it either along quite a few others. Think about it, if the company agreed to do this for the union ( so that the union can hopefully organize Fed Ex) what is the union going to give up in return in 3 years? They tried to make it sound mandatory. We have a couple of guys tell them (management) where they can put that letter. Priceless.

And concerning the post about guys breaking too slow on the dock. Yes, that number was pretty pathetic. But at the same time, there is no official standard for bills per hour. All I tell my guys is, don't get caught screwing around, work at a SAFE speed, and keep moving. The company can't touch you. I personally refuse to go the extra mile, or break a sweat as soon as they starting pulling the short bus up front and dropping the mentally challenged off the try to run me off at my 8. Nope, I'll go my steady pace, and they'll pay me, one way or the other.

how can you in good conscience write a letter for a bunch of losers who steal your jobs and will not honor your contract....ups deserves everything they get they made the bed let them lie in it.

I didn't write it either along quite a few others. Think about it, if the company agreed to do this for the union ( so that the union can hopefully organize Fed Ex) what is the union going to give up in return in 3 years? They tried to make it sound mandatory. We have a couple of guys tell them (management) where they can put that letter. Priceless.

And concerning the post about guys breaking too slow on the dock. Yes, that number was pretty pathetic. But at the same time, there is no official standard for bills per hour. All I tell my guys is, don't get caught screwing around, work at a SAFE speed, and keep moving. The company can't touch you. I personally refuse to go the extra mile, or break a sweat as soon as they starting pulling the short bus up front and dropping the mentally challenged off the try to run me off at my 8. Nope, I'll go my steady pace, and they'll pay me, one way or the other.
yeah you sound just like one of our lazy do nothings at my barn.

i would run you off after 8 even if there was a ::shit:: load of work.....you sound like your not gonna break it efficiently anyway.

Not a lazy do nothing by any stretch of the mind. I do my job, I get it done. If I (and others) wanted, we could break 10,12,13 bills an hours. But why? My 6 or 7 an hours still SMOKES the current standard by a long shot.

Take this with you as you go side with the supervisor in another PCM as there's always one COMPANY MAN trying to stick it to his union brother/sisters. I was around when it was Overnite, we humped some freight. The company paid their employees a fair wage, hired only the number of people they NEEDED, and we got through it.

As I said earlier, the new system is a no-go for me and many many others. Flood the system with useless people all you want. But don't expect any extra work, contributions to the United Way crap, extra re-weighs, or anything that isn't standard work practices.

Any one more little tid-bit. I WISH you would "run me off" after 8 if there was work. I LOVE making OT while sitting on my *** at home. Wouldn't be the first time, and surely won't be the last. File, file file. SHOW ME THE MONEY "bigarms"!!!!! :tongue0015:

Utah sen.... are not voting for it ... some have gotten letters back stateing that they were not voting for it it would put to many people out of work .... like they even care...

But Internet sites dedicated to UPS-related discussions feature dozens of accounts from anonymous employees who in recent weeks have said they were forced to write the letters or felt they would be punished for not doing so. Such tactics could run afoul of both labor laws and lobbying disclosure requirements, according to legal experts.

UPS Employees Say They Were Forced to Lobby Against FedEx

It appears people are reading what we say and putting a bit of spin to it.