FedEx Freight | wrongful chargeables

fish529 said:
i always live by if you don't think you can do it DON'T. Just remember your always 1 accident away from losing your job.

I agree,I even drive around the block to avoid blindsiding sometimes. You are in charge of that unit and where it goes. Just the other day I had a guy meet me at a different building to take a skid off because it was raining so hard I didnt think I could safely get into his dock.He had to drive his lift across the parking lot about 50 yards and didnt really have a problem with it.

Clandestine_ice said:
Seriously? If that's true , that's scary. How the F can u give a guy a chargeable in this case?

It's true I am good friends with him. I also saw the police report.

Packerfan said:
I have one for you drivers. I was redelivering a shipment that was brought back from the previous day. Reason being, the driver couldnt deliver it due to a low clearance at a mall 13' 3". It's one of those malls where the shipping and receiving is underground. So I told my boss that there is a low clearance and cant make it in there. He said that we go in there all the time. So I went in. I hit a steel roll up door and damaged it. I reported it, got a preventable on it. The safety manager, the safety manager that has never driven a truck before, no LTL experience whatsoever, how did he get this job? Anyways getting back to me, he ruled it a preventable. Reason being, even though I called about it, and he said even if a 100 drivers told me that we can go in there, dont go in there. I was doing my job and was doing a delivery and I got a chargeable at the expense of their egos. They dont care if you work here for 4 months or 4 years. They dont care about what you see on the street, it's all about the managements ego of competing with other centers and other trucking companies. To me it's a stupid way of doing business if you ask me. The bottom line is they dont care about you or what you do alongs that you make the delivery even if you have a chance of getting fired for it. In their eyes you are replaceable as the first day you started. They will always hire somebody else to get the job done, no matter how much you kiss butt.

One of our full time dock guys got his CDL when they made him so that he could keep his job. He pulled down a electrical line after dispatch told him we go under it all the time. A resident where it happened was an electrician thought the line was dead and picked it up and was electrocuted by it. The family sued the company. The company said that the driver was at fault they later backtracked when the dispatcher admitted he told him that we go under it all the time. The driver gave up his CDL.

I wasn't with the company at that time and this is all second hand knowledge.

We should all be professional drivers here. As a professional driver we should be aware of where we can and cannot take our trucks. It is to bad that your Company will live you hanging out to dry like that, but if you are letting some safety guy or dispatcher basically drive the truck for you over the phone its your own fault. I have been in similar situations and I never called anybody. I made up my own mind and executed my own solution. Unless I could not deliver at all, then I would call and note the bills. Getting chewed out when you get back to the yard is allot better than damaging something.

One of our full time dock guys got his CDL when they made him so that he could keep his job. He pulled down a electrical line after dispatch told him we go under it all the time. A resident where it happened was an electrician thought the line was dead and picked it up and was electrocuted by it. The family sued the company. The company said that the driver was at fault they later backtracked when the dispatcher admitted he told him that we go under it all the time. The driver gave up his CDL.

I wasn't with the company at that time and this is all second hand knowledge.

Your killin' me with these horror stories Hillbilly

That's interesting. I recently had a problem with the same cylinder. Fortunately it only involved a minor drop with no damage. I had the mechanic cut the airline to the fifth wheel. Apparently those cylinders fail a lot. I don't trust them. I had to literally reach under and push the handle in because there was so much back pressure inside the cylinder. Seems absurd to get blamed for an obvious equipment failure.

2 that I know of back in Feb when Denver got hit by a artic cold were charged with preventables when they dropped thier trls. No damage. I know those drivers and I know they got out and looked under and it was hooked, one went around the yard with the trl, hooked the dolly on pulled foward and thats when the trl went down. They are very unsafe during cold weather

I had a faulty con gear that when I did the pretrip the king pin looked locked in place. When I pulled away from the dock the trailer dropped. After the trailer was lifted and the landing gear down I backed under it again you could hear it lock and when I did my tug the con gear just rolled right out. Backed under it again, got out and looked at it again and showed two people it looked locked , then got in my truck pulled forward and the con gear rolled right out! I was told that the old watkins 57 series con gears sometimes don't match up well with some P trailers! But still my fault and I was close to 5 years of safe driving and it goes all down the toliets for a faulty gear that was some how my fault! I think they said preventable so FedEx wouldn't have to buy me a watch! Plus I never got my 4 year safe driving cert and pin. I kept asking around but no one knows who I should talk to! I should have gotten it last year in September!

I had a faulty con gear that when I did the pretrip the king pin looked locked in place. When I pulled away from the dock the trailer dropped. After the trailer was lifted and the landing gear down I backed under it again you could hear it lock and when I did my tug the con gear just rolled right out. Backed under it again, got out and looked at it again and showed two people it looked locked , then got in my truck pulled forward and the con gear rolled right out! I was told that the old watkins 57 series con gears sometimes don't match up well with some P trailers! But still my fault and I was close to 5 years of safe driving and it goes all down the toliets for a faulty gear that was some how my fault! I think they said preventable so FedEx wouldn't have to buy me a watch! Plus I never got my 4 year safe driving cert and pin. I kept asking around but no one knows who I should talk to! I should have gotten it last year in September!

I assumed you tried to appeal althoughive heard that's usually a waste of time. This isn't quite a union shop if ya know what I mean

We are the captain of our own ship don't let anybody tell you otherwise.Just because somebody drove off a cliff does this mean you have to ! The people that run this place are clueless. No experience necessary for the job they do. I'm the only person that drives a truck when I'm in the seat. Appeals are a waste of time and paper we are a dime a dozen we are expendable. The equipment is a very close second in the expendable category. Safety was booted out a long time a go.

Socal_FedEx said:

Your still a safe driver !

One night I was running with another guy to IND. We had traveled 180+ miles and were turning off the main road to cross the tracks at the entrance to the Ameriplex center, the guy I was with turned onto the tracks (slowly) and WHAM! his back box came unhooked and laid across the tracks. After a call to the IND center to alert the railroad the tracks were blocked, it was determined that the dolly that dropped the box across the tracks was overdue for service. And it was ruled a NON-CHARGABLE accident. So,I think the right decision was made and I am not sure the outcome would be the same today. This happened 6 years ago.