TForce | WTF! Tell-A-Matics

Ok now you have the tin foil hat. I never said "soon" we will be out of jobs. Almost every company is going to paperless logs, sensors all over the truck to keep the truck in the lane, kicks cruise off and automatically slows the truck down if you get too close to a vehicle ahead of you, automatically slows the truck down if you go around a turn quicker than it likes, speed sensors that keep track of how fast the truck goes compared to the actual posted speed limits in that area, sensors that make sure there is no vehicle next to you when a turn signal is activated, etc. It's not like I'm making any of this up. They are quickly, not slowly, putting in the technology to get rid of high paid drivers. I doubt line haul has much to worry about in the near future, but just like that guy in the video you quoted, steering wheel holders would be replaced with steering wheel watchers. Or rather steering wheel holder pay will be replaced with steering wheel watcher pay. Then soon after that no watcher is needed. Hence no steering wheel watcher. Replacing labor seems to be the objective of technology.

Then there is a sun spot that messes up the communication satellites in space,everyones computer goes down along with all of the electronic systems,and everyone becomes an instant clueless idiot.
Don't say it can't happen,in other words never say never,that is the major flaw of computerizing everything.

no doubt Apostolic. haha Some think mass ejections could cause power outages for a year in some places. Never said technology is 100% perfect. But it is impossible to deny what the companies like to spend their money on. And it ain't on raises and benefits.

Just let me do my job. Leave me alone and let me do my job. Stop trying to justify engineering jobs,leave me alone and let me do my job. They can justify delaying a driver 20 min. by not answering a DIAD message from the driver but if you are off by one minute in your entries....WatchOut!!!! wasted time ,wasted money, what a shame...

....a question...to my p&d brethern...is you job any better now that UPS has started implementing their methodology of doing things..verus the way Overnite did things....what are you hearing from shipping clerks....

Ok now you have the tin foil hat. I never said "soon" we will be out of jobs. Almost every company is going to paperless logs, sensors all over the truck to keep the truck in the lane, kicks cruise off and automatically slows the truck down if you get too close to a vehicle ahead of you, automatically slows the truck down if you go around a turn quicker than it likes, speed sensors that keep track of how fast the truck goes compared to the actual posted speed limits in that area, sensors that make sure there is no vehicle next to you when a turn signal is activated, etc. It's not like I'm making any of this up. They are quickly, not slowly, putting in the technology to get rid of high paid drivers. I doubt line haul has much to worry about in the near future, but just like that guy in the video you quoted, steering wheel holders would be replaced with steering wheel watchers. Or rather steering wheel holder pay will be replaced with steering wheel watcher pay. Then soon after that no watcher is needed. Hence no steering wheel watcher. Replacing labor seems to be the objective of technology.

You think DIADS are bad..The above poster is correct about the technology. I work for the Linde Group hauling cryogenic gases. If you ever see us on the freeway and wonder why we are going so slow, it is due to all the crap they have put in the trucks, all in the name of micro-management. DriveCams, PeopleNet, Iteris Lane Departure Warning system, VORAD front and rear radar. Our "management" who never drove a truck in their lives, spends it's days compiling useless information on their laptops and then criticizing drivers for things like ONE (yes, I said ONE) mph over 55mph (ever try to hold back a loaded tanker ?), applying brakes too much (in LA traffic), drinking water (DriveCam), over 1400 rpm (while climbing the Grapevine) and any other BS these college clowns can think of. It's coming, it's being pushed hard by the Feds and the companies who sell this crap. I'm leaving just as soon as I can find something/anything ELSE. They want ROBOTS, not human beings driving their trucks. Yet, it's funny, even in a national recession, they hold conferences and wonder WHY they cannot find drivers. Nationwide, long time drivers for this company are fleeing in DROVES. I did not mean to jump in and hijack this thread or stick my nose into UPSF business. But UPS seems to be as anal as Linde, and this stuff just takes a stressful day and makes it so much worse. It's there and it's coming to a trucking company near you.

You think DIADS are bad..The above poster is correct about the technology. I work for the Linde Group hauling cryogenic gases. If you ever see us on the freeway and wonder why we are going so slow, it is due to all the crap they have put in the trucks, all in the name of micro-management. DriveCams, PeopleNet, Iteris Lane Departure Warning system, VORAD front and rear radar. Our "management" who never drove a truck in their lives, spends it's days compiling useless information on their laptops and then criticizing drivers for things like ONE (yes, I said ONE) mph over 55mph (ever try to hold back a loaded tanker ?), applying brakes too much (in LA traffic), drinking water (DriveCam), over 1400 rpm (while climbing the Grapevine) and any other BS these college clowns can think of. It's coming, it's being pushed hard by the Feds and the companies who sell this crap. I'm leaving just as soon as I can find something/anything ELSE. They want ROBOTS, not human beings driving their trucks. Yet, it's funny, even in a national recession, they hold conferences and wonder WHY they cannot find drivers. Nationwide, long time drivers for this company are fleeing in DROVES. I did not mean to jump in and hijack this thread or stick my nose into UPSF business. But UPS seems to be as anal as Linde, and this stuff just takes a stressful day and makes it so much worse. It's there and it's coming to a trucking company near you.

You are absolutely right. One day the transportation industry will become so tighta$$ed, Everyone in their right mind will leave the industry. Then hopefully most of the companies will go out of business. We do have choices but most people have no balls to stand up to them.