Estes | WTH is going on here?

Just a question from an outsider.How in the hell do you adjust your sleep pattern going from p&d to road?If nothing else, Estes is opening themselves up to some saftey issues IMO.

Last night, before I left, there were city drivers walking around yelling and screaming about having to "call in" this weekend.. WTH is going on? I know it's the end of the quarter,end of the month and a long weekend for some...

Have they finally lost their minds.. They have been ask to take a day off during the week.. They have abide by the rules.. They have been working 13 or 14 hour days.. Now they want them to give up a weekend that they should be with their families on Easter... Bare in mind, this memo just hit the terminal 24 hours ago.. People have had plans for this weekend for weeks... Why now? It's crazy around here.. It's like they are in a panic.. Are they getting that inept, that they can't plan for a weekend, weeks ahead?

aww..poor city. The violen is playing

aww..poor city. The violen is playing

Don't know why it always gets to that. Two sides to the same coin and we depend on the other for our work. I would not like to run the other side and they wouldn't like to run mine, simple enough.

But the planning and decisions coming out of Richmond seem "erratic" lately.

AkitaDog, I'll give an answer from an outsider myself by asking this question, what do you think us linehaul drivers do evey week coming off our time off to start running the road? We do the schedule 'flip flop' every week, year after year, decade after decade So some city puke can cry me a river, "talk to the hand 'cause the face aint listening".

AkitaDog, I'll give an answer from an outsider myself by asking this question, what do you think us linehaul drivers do evey week coming off our time off to start running the road? We do the schedule 'flip flop' every week, year after year, decade after decade So some city puke can cry me a river, "talk to the hand 'cause the face aint listening".
I know where your coming from because I've been there myself.but that was my choice to run the road.it's sounds like these guys are being forced into this situation which doesn't make a safe environment for all parties concerned!Some people ain't cut out for the road and some guys can't do P&D that's all I'm saying.

And some guys can do alot of things, back in the day I ran the Road, and do now, back say 6 years ago I worked in the city sometimes when I got back on Friday mornings, worked the dock, etc... Back in the day you could volunteer to do alot of things here, now Its all set that you are City, Linehaul, Utility, Hub, Team, and I just love watching these part time dock guys wreck freight, I almost laugh at it, cause I remember the days I used to jump on a lift and load up some freight Damage free, that was when I was a Linehaul Greenboard driver, man miss those days!!

It's being done wrong. At my barn, there are plenty of volunteers for weekend work. They should use the volunteers first and then go by seniority. If you're low on seniority and have to work, you're exempt from being forced to work for 4 weeks. That would be the right way.

I don't mind the extra work. I ran 674 miles last night.

Our guys ran 1/2 empty trailers , and empty sets this past Sunday !!!!

They can't write a 1/2 empty off on their taxes... It's all or nothing... And even then, I think there is just so many they can write off... This is crap anyway.. If this company had their stuff together, we wouldn't be hearing about things like this... Heck, I heard Richmond got flooded with phone calls last week from city drivers complaining and even quitting.... This is what you get, when you react in a panic, unprepared...

I know the routine... Well aware of it... Gave things up for it... But this is ridiculous... How come you never hear this at FedEx,Conway or the rest ....Technology, that's why...They have things that figure it out reasonably...

I like my job here, wouldn't work for no one else, but they gotta get a handle on this ineptness... It's costing them money... And they don't seem to care....

Doesn't happen at Con-way 'cause we don't haul our own freight! That's what we got Weiner, Useless and all the rest for, we don't have to run weekends, or any other night of the week for that matter.

Doesn't happen at Con-way 'cause we don't haul our own freight! That's what we got Weiner, Useless and all the rest for, we don't have to run weekends, or any other night of the week for that matter.

From what my buddy tells me, he runs a linehaul run at Conway, by Saturday morning, he has about 15 minutes left on his 70.. You guys couldn't run the weekend if you wanted to...

Here's the view from our barn. We got told on Friday last week that we city guys were going to start running extra board a week at a time starting the following Monday. It went over like a ton of bricks...two days notice that the company is about to upset the applecart. I almost felt bed for a few of the guys, single parents, or other issues, but it was made clear by our TM 'no exceptions'. Plus we've been covering a line run for three weeks while we wait for someone to get hired. So we've been down 4 city drivers, and busy as all heck. That winter slow down...never happened here. If anything, we worked more hours...and none of us saw any freight or trailers stacking up here, but they sure expect a bunch of stuff to be ready to move on East Sunday.
We are constantly running behind and struggling to get all of the fright picked up by the end of the day. Not too mention we are holding 4 to 5 shags a day cause we can't get it all done with the amount of people that we don't have. This panic to get the fright moved is backfiring here cause we can't get what we have delivered, or the outbound freight picked up. And there are no answers...I love my city job, but an answer or two would be nice. And I'm no newbie...been P & D for eight years now.

Man glad to hear your busy, cause we are slow, think we have to many around here, I have called and said I would stay out a extra day and got a big well not much going on and got sent home. Ohh well, And sounds like you been here awhile, well I have been here over 12 now, Linehaul, Hub, and worked in the City also, and I can tell you the last 5 to 6 have been a roller coaster ride.
I always tell myself someday it will get better, like if they ever make a one Road Board system, then things would get better in a jiff...
And be glad you are in a Category all by itself, a City Driver, cause where I am at they can not figure out how much Hub, Linehaul, Utility, and god being a Team...

Rumor has it, they are thinking of cancelling the extra Sunday a month... Too much politics...

Don't know about that, but was informed today that only one city driver can take a vaction day on Friday until the end of June. We've always been allowed 2 on vacation at the same time. The dispatcher said this came from corporate, not the TM.

City drivers running the road, that could explain why I'm sitting at home. On the other hand, it could be a case of Cranial Rectumitis or a combination of the two.

Don't know about that, but was informed today that only one city driver can take a vaction day on Friday until the end of June. We've always been allowed 2 on vacation at the same time. The dispatcher said this came from corporate, not the TM.

again, aww poor city.