FedEx Freight | X Board

leemcabee

TB Regular
Credits
Is it just me or does requiring drivers to be on call 24/7 6 days a week seem like it would be a severe cause of driver fatigue?

after your ten hour break you are required to pop out of your "jack in the box" and be ready to go!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does requiring drivers to be on call 24/7 6 days a week seem like it would be a severe cause of driver fatigue?

We got drivers that complain about no work and now we've got drivers complaining about turning on 10?????

Yes...

Think about it.

If you are at the beck and call of your employer regardless of the hours or time of day it can definitely be a source of fatigue.

Remember...we work to live...not live to work

Something corporate America needs to learn.

Rat

If you elect to not take the call block waiver, you aren't on the hook 24/7. You shouldn't be getting calls on the weekend unless you signed up for extra work. At least that is how my west coast local management team has interpreted the "guidelines". But then if you only accept workcalls in the call block we will hear about a lack of work.
So you need to pick your poison sir.

Extra board does not work this way. I sign the call block waiver, they can call me anytime. Call block is Mon-Friday 5a-9a and also 5p-9p. Any call outside of those two blocks I don't have to answer.

On Saturday and Sunday they can call but again, I don't have to answer. If I do then I have to take something they offer. Could be a 600 mile layover or 55 mile turn, you just never know. I got called yesterday morning and decided not to answer since my son had a baseball tournament that day.

roog

If you elect to not take the call block waiver, you aren't on the hook 24/7. You shouldn't be getting calls on the weekend unless you signed up for extra work. At least that is how my west coast local management team has interpreted the "guidelines". But then if you only accept workcalls in the call block we will hear about a lack of work.
So you need to pick your poison sir.
We were told that there were no call blocks this go round. We are REQUIRED to be available for the 5-9 and the 17-21 call blocks Mon - Sat. That means we must be ready at 5 am to work, if not offered work then we can take a short nap, if we are able to sleep, and be ready for the 17 shift, if no work then we have the night off. I can't seem to get any good sleep except on Sat & Sun nights otherwise I am awake 36 to 40 hours at a time until I crash and burn.

If I worked steadily it probably wouldn't be so bad but I'm getting 2 or 3 days a week on a good week

I also might depend on the runs a center has. I know St. Louis has some Tuesday through Saturday runs that the extra board has to cover.

Since we went to the hub-spoke system, the rules have changed. If your an extra board driver (casual) at a spoke terminal, lots of luck. The loaded trailer you used to pull to another terminal is now going to a hub and matched with another trailer that their drivers are pulling. It sucks but it is what it is. TP

WTH you line guys cry went it ain't no work then you cry cause you turn on ten by the it is 11 check the real rule book the federal one you know if you look at some of the regs in you might find you are no to be disturbed on a rest period.so ya'll look it up I know it is in the book I just to tired to look it up tonight now if you got work if you ain't got no work work the dock take what they got pay your bills and take the time off you get enjoy your family My sons grew up with a linehaul drive and and an otr one missed a lot of birthdays and hoildays till i went to linehaul job iw as thankful for that so do the job you have go somewhere else Estes wants Drivres hell they might take steering wheel holders out

Last edited by a moderator:
WTH you line guys cry went it ain't no work then you cry cause you turn on ten by the it is 11 check the real rule book the federal one you know if you look at some of the regs in you might find you are no to be disturbed on a rest period.so ya'll look it up I know it is in the book I just to tired to look it up tonight now if you got work if you ain't got no work work the dock take what they got pay your bills and take the time off you get enjoy your family My sons grew up with a linehaul drive and and an otr one missed a lot of birthdays and hoildays till i went to linehaul job iw as thankful for that so do the job you have go somewhere else Estes wants Drivres hell they might take steering wheel holders out

What???????

Dude? Are you freaking high or something? WTF

Didn't RC tell you guys that Lucy11 is an alien and his translator is broken?
Ever see Mars Attacks? Their sentences were a little hard to understand.

I reckon I aint rite reel shore jist egzactly WTF he was'a sayin neither, gran-pappy ditnt teech us'n young'ns a mite much about that there sort'a tranzlatin.