Yellow | XPO closes purchase of con-way layoffs begin

RMWeZi9.jpg

You're the "Big Ragu"?:hilarious:
Think he may be more this guy ?????

I've spent a considerable amount of time in gin mills in NY. I have a fond memory of Teamster beer distributor drivers coming in, rolling the kegs down to the taps in the basement. After their delivery, they would stand at the end of the bar, filling out the sales sheet. The bartender would always pour a beer for them. They would drink it while filling out the paperwork and chit chatting. This was all pre-CDL times.

I asked a friend who retired as a Teamster beer driver, didn't you ever get drunk doing that?? He said there were many times he made it back to the warehouse smashed. Back then it was considered part of the job as a beer "Salesman".

Beer distributors used to encourage their drivers to have one with the customers back in the day. A buddy of mine was a helper on a beer truck in the early 70's and between him and the driver they had way too much one day and wound up forgetting where they parked the truck around Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Budweiser in St. Louis had a hospitality room for the drivers picking up loads in the same time period, they eventually stopped it. Makes me sick to see JB Hunt pulling the Bud trailers up and down the road now, quite a few good union jobs were lost when that started.

Beer distributors used to encourage their drivers to have one with the customers back in the day. A buddy of mine was a helper on a beer truck in the early 70's and between him and the driver they had way too much one day and wound up forgetting where they parked the truck around Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Budweiser in St. Louis had a hospitality room for the drivers picking up loads in the same time period, they eventually stopped it. Makes me sick to see JB Hunt pulling the Bud trailers up and down the road now, quite a few good union jobs were lost when that started.

When I was a young adult and money was tight, when my thirst needed quenching, it was nice to know that a brewery 'tour' and brief respite in the 'hospitality room' was a much welcomed solution.

Just a note, it is Anheuser Busch not Budweiser. Only because Bud gives me a headache. I was weened on Busch.

As i have read in the XPO/Conway site on TB.These drivers and dock workers are in the dark to whereabouts their company is going.Some of these drivers have been at home for 4 or 5 days.Some are hearing that XPO will be picking up some sort of freight from FedEx.Hoping and wishing.Not good

Strange that I saw some freight bills and DR's that had the shipper as XPO Logistics coming across our dock for delivery when XPO is virtually next door to YRC.

Looks like the companies with abbreviations ( YRC, UPS, XPO) are the sexy thing now....XPO is going to be like a C.H. Robinson in the industry.

I believe the crying at Conway has officially began!

Someone should count the amount of times any one of the kiss asses at the Con Job thread, uses the term "Mr. Jacobs". It will be in the millions by the time the pos company files bankruptcy from the 5 billion debt.

Someone should count the amount of times any one of the kiss asses at the Con Job thread, uses the term "Mr. Jacobs". It will be in the millions by the time the pos company files bankruptcy from the 5 billion debt.
I will watch that, when the Mr. disappears it will be a sign that things are going down hill....I don't think it will take long.

Strange that I saw some freight bills and DR's that had the shipper as XPO Logistics coming across our dock for delivery when XPO is virtually next door to YRC.

Looks like the companies with abbreviations ( YRC, UPS, XPO) are the sexy thing now....XPO is going to be like a C.H. Robinson in the industry.
That is what 3rd parties like XPO, chrobinson and others do. Manage freight movement for companies for say 2 percent of the charge and find the cheapest carrier to haul it. It also probably puts some people in the traffic dept of the companies they perform this service with for ,out of work .

That is what 3rd parties like XPO, chrobinson and others do. Manage freight movement for companies for say 2 percent of the charge and find the cheapest carrier to haul it. It also probably puts some people in the traffic dept of the companies they perform this service with for ,out of work .

You did say cheapest carrier, if I start to see more and more of this freight coming across our dock then it is a sign of things to come YRCW (Your- Really- Cheap- Workers).

You did say cheapest carrier, if I start to see more and more of this freight coming across our dock then it is a sign of things to come YRCW (Your- Really- Cheap- Workers).
We are hauling so much third party freight now it is a bit scary. CH Robinson, XPO, Coyote, Freightquote, United Shippers. The list goes on and on

We are hauling so much third party freight now it is a bit scary. CH Robinson, XPO, Coyote, Freightquote, United Shippers. The list goes on and on
BRG, can you give a brief explanation of what exactly 3rd. party freight is and how it works and why it seems to be undesirable for the YRCW Company's. I don't have any idea what this is all about.
Thank you.

Basically the shipper contracts with the 3rd party logistics company to move the freight, they for a fee find the cheapest carrier and or method to complete the move. If we're constantly the lowest price then we're most likely moving at or close to a loss..............................

Basically the shipper contracts with the 3rd party logistics company to move the freight, they for a fee find the cheapest carrier and or method to complete the move. If we're constantly the lowest price then we're most likely moving at or close to a loss..............................
Ok, but do we go through them to just bolster a weak lane not to run partials or emptys, or because we layed off a lot of sales ppl. and we now rely on the 3pl's to do our leg work.
Does it necessarily have to be un-profitable or are there accounts that we can do very well on.
What about the Regionals, I would like to hear from Falconfan and others on this sector of our business.

Ok, but do we go through them to just bolster a weak lane not to run partials or emptys, or because we layed off a lot of sales ppl. and we now rely on the 3pl's to do our leg work.
Does it necessarily have to be un-profitable or are there accounts that we can do very well on.
What about the Regionals, I would like to hear from Falconfan and others on this sector of our business.
If you were to go to a shipper who uses a third party, what they do is enter into the computer the origin and destination zip codes, weight and freight class . They will then populate a list from cheapest to most expensive a list of Ltl carriers they use. They also consider asscessorial charges. They then assign, on line usually to the carrier the pickup info. The sad part of this whole thing is in some cases we cannot match the price of the third party dealing directly with the shipper usually because they do not give us a large volume of shipments. But what most carriers look at is the volume they haul nation wide for a particular 3rd party. So even though though it is cheap freight, when they look at the whole day's pickups for that 3rd party, they may actually make a few bucks.

If you were to go to a shipper who uses a third party, what they do is enter into the computer the origin and destination zip codes, weight and freight class . They will then populate a list from cheapest to most expensive a list of Ltl carriers they use. They also consider asscessorial charges. They then assign, on line usually to the carrier the pickup info. The sad part of this whole thing is in some cases we cannot match the price of the third party dealing directly with the shipper usually because they do not give us a large volume of shipments. But what most carriers look at is the volume they haul nation wide for a particular 3rd party. So even though though it is cheap freight, when they look at the whole day's pickups for that 3rd party, they may actually make a few bucks.
Ok, I assume this does not pertain to our National Accounts, just to low volume shippers. Do we have a price point cut off where we just say alright we can't do it for that, no matter what we do with a specific 3pl for the day ? Or do we just hope and pray the days volume overcomes the discount ?

Ok, I assume this does not pertain to our National Accounts, just to low volume shippers. Do we have a price point cut off where we just say alright we can't do it for that, no matter what we do with a specific 3pl for the day ? Or do we just hope and pray the days volume overcomes the discount ?
I pick up freight from nationals and local accounts for 3rd parties. I am quite sure each carrier reviews their rate program with each 3rd party they do business with depending on profit or loss pretty regularly.