ABF | XPO Con-Way pay raise.

Ok so they make a little more hourly. Our current rate of pay is $23.50 per hour with a 2% increase July 1.we also have a guarantee 8 hours when clocked in.Something that the non unions don't have. No lets talk about fringes.Currently in my supplement and probably yours too,the H&W contribution rate is currently $10.41 per hour and the pension is around $9.35 so if you add all those together that works out to be $43.26 per hour for your first 8 hours that the company is paying on your behalf! Then when the fringe contributions drop off after 8, now your overtime kicks in and now your rate of pay is $35.25 so tell me again how were the lowest paid In the LTL racket! Go ask a driver from O.D. R&L or Estes if they get paid premium time for working holidays,six punches or working over 40 hours let alone 8. Maybe I've been a Teamster to long (36years) I don't know,but I wouldn't have any other way!
I don't argue with anything you just posted. A couple bucks an hour don't mean squat in the big picture. What does mean something is my current situation and many others who are in a similar situation. I think it's awesome you've been a teamster all these years and that's definitely something to be proud of. I'm a proud father right now watching my son overcome his head/brain surgery. I'm also proud/blessed to work for a company (Pyle) that has a no layoff policy. Every situation is different. There were some poor misrepresentations of other drivers made in some previous posts in this thread. We all have to look at each situation and area and make informed choices about what's best for our families. This is what makes TB the best forum for trucking IMHO.

I don't argue with anything you just posted. A couple bucks an hour don't mean squat in the big picture. What does mean something is my current situation and many others who are in a similar situation. I think it's awesome you've been a teamster all these years and that's definitely something to be proud of. I'm a proud father right now watching my son overcome his head/brain surgery. I'm also proud/blessed to work for a company (Pyle) that has a no layoff policy. Every situation is different. There were some poor misrepresentations of other drivers made in some previous posts in this thread. We all have to look at each situation and area and make informed choices about what's best for our families. This is what makes TB the best forum for trucking IMHO.
First and foremost,I wish nothing but the best for your son and hope everything turns out ok! The most important thing in my life is my Family and good health! Everything else is secondary. I would never belittle anyone who is just trying to provide for his Family. I was just responding to the post with my personal opinion! Good luck to you and yours Sabre.

Maybe he was referring about my posts misrepresenting drivers. The hourly wage coupled with no cost health care and company paid pension and time-and-a-half after eight,.........plus the peace of mind knowing you can't be fired,....or more euphemistically,..."laid off",....for a stupid reason,......does make working at a Union carrier a no-brainer, in my opinion. You can carry that even further when it comes to legal protections, and performing your job in the midst of the general public.

However,.....when it comes to new-hires,.....they generally ask: "What's the top rate?" If they don't like the answer, they generally don't ask any further questions........

Our clueless upper management,.......and our even more clueless.........."leadership"......at the IBT are completely flummoxed as to why there's suddenly a problem hiring qualified drivers,....and why there's a fairly large turnover rate of recent hires.

Brother Sabresfan,......your son's health problems transcends any Union/ non-Union debate. We all wish him and your family the best. Keep us posted.

Maybe he was referring about my posts misrepresenting drivers. The hourly wage coupled with no cost health care and company paid pension and time-and-a-half after eight,.........plus the peace of mind knowing you can't be fired,....or more euphemistically,..."laid off",....for a stupid reason,......does make working at a Union carrier a no-brainer, in my opinion. You can carry that even further when it comes to legal protections, and performing your job in the midst of the general public.

However,.....when it comes to new-hires,.....they generally ask: "What's the top rate?" If they don't like the answer, they generally don't ask any further questions........

Our clueless upper management,.......and our even more clueless.........."leadership"......at the IBT are completely flummoxed as to why there's suddenly a problem hiring qualified drivers,....and why there's a fairly large turnover rate of recent hires.

Brother Sabresfan,......your son's health problems transcends any Union/ non-Union debate. We all wish him and your family the best. Keep us posted.
My son is improving and I thank you for all for your thoughts and prayers. I believe the old argument that union in better than non doesn't apply in every market anymore. I'm using Buffalo as my example as I'm most familiar with the market here. As I've stated other than the health benefits and some work rules there's not much incentive to leave a good paying job. The following companies would be my unionized choices based on pension and personal choice. 1 ups freight, 2nd nemf and 3rd abf. My reasons may differ from others but the first 2 have solid pensions. Both definitely have their downsides as well.

Both definitely have their downsides as well.
IMO they all have huge downsides and I would not go into freight under today's conditions and I would not recommend it to anyone. No doubt it is still better than a lot of junk for jobs that are out there but for myself I want something that is more than just better than the junk that's out there. And I would wish the same for everyone else. I don't know what the future holds for those who follow us in this industry but I am young enough that, barring a tragedy in life, I should be around to watch from the sidelines and I hope the future makes me jealous of the newcombers rather than pity them as I do right now.

IMO they all have huge downsides and I would not go into freight under today's conditions and I would not recommend it to anyone. No doubt it is still better than a lot of junk for jobs that are out there but for myself I want something that is more than just better than the junk that's out there. And I would wish the same for everyone else. I don't know what the future holds for those who follow us in this industry but I am young enough that, barring a tragedy in life, I should be around to watch from the sidelines and I hope the future makes me jealous of the newcombers rather than pity them as I do right now.
That's why I can't wait to get out of this racket. I'm renewing my 4 year CDL driver license for last time in May and that will carry me untill I'm 60 with 37 contributory years in my pension.and then I'm done! Between all the hoops the company and Feds make you jump through just to drive a truck,this job ain't enjoyable anymore!

If you guys dont mind but I wanted to chime in. I'm new to the teamsters. I just joined a union company almost 2 months ago. I wanted out of ltl so I went to a dairy company. My uncle has been a union steward at YRC for years now and has pushed me to go union. The few things I really like about being union is guaranteed hours. I'm guaranteed 10 hrs a day because I work 4 days a week. Also like my overtime and when I work a holiday my premium pay plus my holiday pay. They're definitely benefits to being union but I can see some draw backs to. But like I said I'm still new to being union

My son is improving and I thank you for all for your thoughts and prayers. I believe the old argument that union in better than non doesn't apply in every market anymore. I'm using Buffalo as my example as I'm most familiar with the market here. As I've stated other than the health benefits and some work rules there's not much incentive to leave a good paying job. The following companies would be my unionized choices based on pension and personal choice. 1 ups freight, 2nd nemf and 3rd abf. My reasons may differ from others but the first 2 have solid pensions. Both definitely have their downsides as well.
Actually pretty good choices, Brother,......and I see the reasons for those picks in that order..

And,......that is the reason I started this thread. If the IBT......once again..."leadership"......had been doing their JOB over the last ten or so years,........and had actually worked at organizing LTL companies,........had actually worked to keep our pensions viable......had actually worked at something other than propping up the golf clubs and schmoozing with company officials,.....we wouldn't be in the shape we're in now.

If Mr. Hoffa's so-called "friends" in the political world hadn't sold out and passed laws that will be disastrous to pensions in the future,......If he would've used the power of the rank-and-file to get politicians to strengthen pension laws,....... If he wouldn't have rubber-stamped putrid contracts that wrecked ABF's and YRC's funds,.......would they have replaced UPS Freight and NEMF as #1 and #2?

I'm with Bro. ABFer now...... Your first requirement to get hired with an LTL carrier is desperation now. This used to be the highest-paid blue collar job in America. Not any more.......There are many occupations that pay much better than us.

And......we really haven't brought any "new" people in within the last 10 years. Demographically-wise , we are 10 years older, on average, than any other occupation.

There's a perfect storm brewing in the trucking industry, .......and our clueless leaders are just that.....clueless. Last contract negotiations, they should've kicked the door down and pinned the companies' pencil-necked negotiators against the wall, and DEMANDED the best contract ever.....

Instead, they fell for the tricks and lies,.....and didn't notice the snickering behind the sleeves on the other side of the table.

Snickering is wide open and in plain view now . The CEO's got their short-term goal of quick profits for the top shareholders,........ and when the long term problems start becoming painfully apparent,.......they'll pull the ripcord on that Golden Parachute. Goodbye ABF! YRC!.......S.E.P.

YRC is the lowest paying LTL carrier,.......and we are the second-lowest paid,........and with our highly vaunted pension under attack,.....and YRC on a pension freeze,......and with no vacation for two years........tell me once again how ABF and YRC are going to attract new employees?
I have been researching and thinking about applying this spring at ABF in Carlisle for line haul. Not having vacation for 2 years with having 2 boys and a wife at home is a hard pill to swallow. Is having the coveted Union Job it worth the wait? whats the big advantage? When was the last contract signed and how much are dues a week there? Thanks guys .

I have been researching and thinking about applying this spring at ABF in Carlisle for line haul. Not having vacation for 2 years with having 2 boys and a wife at home is a hard pill to swallow. Is having the coveted Union Job it worth the wait? whats the big advantage? When was the last contract signed and how much are dues a week there? Thanks guys .
This contract was effective April of 2013 (if I recall correctly) and is in effect (I can't call it "good") 'til 2018. Dues are about $55/month and there would be an initiation fee and I can't tell you how much that is but it is a few hundred dollars (the locals usually let you pay that in installments). Whether or not it is worth the wait is a matter of opinion so you have to do research and make the choice that is right for you. Advantages are some better working conditions and rules that we all abide by so we know what to expect. Health insurance is still second to none but the pensions are having some trouble right now. You might want to check on the health of the Central PA Pension Fund while making your decision. That two years to get one week of vacation and eight years to get two weeks is no go for many, you do know about it already. Then there are no sick days for new hires until they have been on the seniority list on January 1 of that year. hire on now and maybe you get some next year. The freight industry is constantly changing and not for the better for the drivers, road jobs are being converted to hourly jobs at a steep financial cost to the driver.
That should get you started.

IBT didn't fall for tricks and lies, the members did. The IBT dealt with ABF over its lawsuit that went away.. where is it? This is misrepresentation.. Then the IBT got pissed at us for being difficult during negotiations. Hoffa doesn't like blowback. Now we are punished, will never gain and in fact ABF will only be responsible for 50% of ARC Best revenue in future, losing more and more.. PT, non union assets hauling freight and its logistics company selling what used to be ABF hauled freight. all under the watchful eyes of an IBT enforced contract. ABF used to be know as just ABF,, now its ARC BEST.. spun off from 1 union company. great contracts protecting union jobs.

IBT didn't fall for tricks and lies, the members did. The IBT dealt with ABF over its lawsuit that went away.. where is it? This is misrepresentation.. Then the IBT got pissed at us for being difficult during negotiations. Hoffa doesn't like blowback. Now we are punished, will never gain and in fact ABF will only be responsible for 50% of ARC Best revenue in future, losing more and more.. PT, non union assets hauling freight and its logistics company selling what used to be ABF hauled freight. all under the watchful eyes of an IBT enforced contract. ABF used to be know as just ABF,, now its ARC BEST.. spun off from 1 union company. great contracts protecting union jobs.

The members fell for the tricks and lies management put out because we got no leadership from Mr. Hoffa and crew.

At the first inkling of a so-called "offer" to buy from a competitor.....in the middle of contract negotiations, mind you,...which in itself should have set off red flags,..........Mr. Hoffa should have put his foot firmly on the brake pedal and ground negotiations to a halt,........until the rumors of a buyout were either proven or disproven,........merely to prevent rumors from influencing the contract talks. After all,......all negotiation is a moot point and a complete waste of time if someone else purchases your assets immediately after you sign a contract.......That's negotiations 101 for beginners.

So,........what did Mess'rs Hoffa, Sweeton and Johnson advise us to do? "Hurry up and sign the damned thing..,.." "Ignore that unsubstantiated rumor of a buyout offer"..... I believe is what we were told.

Are you intimating petty revenge from the highest offices of our Union drives negotiation tactics? I might be inclined to agree with you,.......it sure would explain many things.

How about a perspective from an 18 year veteran with only a year and a half as a Teamster... I will never go back to a nonunion carrier for work again unless I absolutely had to and had no other choice. I would more than likely leave the industry altogether since I have some ASE certs to put to use in my own garage. One thing I have learned in this industry, and I have worked for two mom and pops LTL carriers, a big LTL carrier, a chemical company on its private fleet, Holland, ABF, and UPS package, is that you have to look at the big picture of compensation and not just that hourly wage. Those Conway drivers got that raise which pushes up their top rate, but what is it going to cost later on? Will their health insurance go up, thus eating up that .50¢ per hour? Not hard to imagine these days... Even though our pensions are kinda in the :shit:ter right now, I believe that the union pension still pays more than most of the nonunion LTL 401ks. Does that justify the state of the Teamsters pension right now? No, it does not. The pension, the work rules, seniority, the benefits, the overtime, are all reasons why the Teamsters Union exists in the first place. For the first 8 years of my driving career, I had no idea what OT pay was. I was working the hours but sure as hell wasn't getting the pay for it. I had decent benefits at the first real LTL I worked at, but I was also single.... Didn't have a family to provide for, just me. I knew what I was getting into when I finally applied to a Teamster job. I understood what sacrifices were made in the contract that is currently in place. Yeah, no paid vacation for 2 years. I look at it like this... Been on lay off for the majority of 2015, still am as I type this. So I haven't had full 5 day work weeks, but I still made good money last year. Yeah a paid week of time off isuch better than a 2 or 3 day check, but the big picture of last year for me is that I did fine. Yeah, I also went to UPS package for Christmas and that helped me. I do what I have to do to string a paycheck together... Have a wife, daughter, mortgage, etc... But I don't have car payments and much debt. I drive a 2001 and my wife a 2004. I fix 'em and keep them going. No car payment until I am lay off proof... Someday...

Anyway, I guess the point I am trying to make is that while the nonunions make more per hour than us right now, that is all they have on us. We have established work rules. Seniority means everything in our world. None of us will be fired because some ops person has a bug up their ass or didn't get laid last night. Our company invests almost $800 a week into health, welfare and pension before we ever punch the time clock. Their is as much or as little overtime as you want. Yeah, their are issues with how the Teamsters have been handling our contracts and it seems at times that we are nothing more than a dues payment, but that is something we are going to have to work on and work on hard. I will admit that I was jealous of you guys back in the late 90's and early 2000's because of how much better a Teamster driver had it. I couldn't beat you, so I joined you. And I will never drive nonunion again if I can help it. It ain't perfect in Teamster world, but it isn't bad. I respect the opinions and words of wisdom from our senior brothers on this board. I hope one day that we can flip this thing around and get it back to where it once was. You know the nonunion drivers are reading this thread and are probably saying WTF? Well, it isn't all roses here in Teamster world, but at the end of the day, it's nice bringing home over $1100 a week in less than 60 hours. Sorry for the long read, but I wanted to give an honest take on it from a mostly nonunion turned Teamster driver.

How about a perspective from an 18 year veteran with only a year and a half as a Teamster... I will never go back to a nonunion carrier for work again unless I absolutely had to and had no other choice. I would more than likely leave the industry altogether since I have some ASE certs to put to use in my own garage. One thing I have learned in this industry, and I have worked for two mom and pops LTL carriers, a big LTL carrier, a chemical company on its private fleet, Holland, ABF, and UPS package, is that you have to look at the big picture of compensation and not just that hourly wage. Those Conway drivers got that raise which pushes up their top rate, but what is it going to cost later on? Will their health insurance go up, thus eating up that .50¢ per hour? Not hard to imagine these days... Even though our pensions are kinda in the :shit:ter right now, I believe that the union pension still pays more than most of the nonunion LTL 401ks. Does that justify the state of the Teamsters pension right now? No, it does not. The pension, the work rules, seniority, the benefits, the overtime, are all reasons why the Teamsters Union exists in the first place. For the first 8 years of my driving career, I had no idea what OT pay was. I was working the hours but sure as hell wasn't getting the pay for it. I had decent benefits at the first real LTL I worked at, but I was also single.... Didn't have a family to provide for, just me. I knew what I was getting into when I finally applied to a Teamster job. I understood what sacrifices were made in the contract that is currently in place. Yeah, no paid vacation for 2 years. I look at it like this... Been on lay off for the majority of 2015, still am as I type this. So I haven't had full 5 day work weeks, but I still made good money last year. Yeah a paid week of time off isuch better than a 2 or 3 day check, but the big picture of last year for me is that I did fine. Yeah, I also went to UPS package for Christmas and that helped me. I do what I have to do to string a paycheck together... Have a wife, daughter, mortgage, etc... But I don't have car payments and much debt. I drive a 2001 and my wife a 2004. I fix 'em and keep them going. No car payment until I am lay off proof... Someday...

Anyway, I guess the point I am trying to make is that while the nonunions make more per hour than us right now, that is all they have on us. We have established work rules. Seniority means everything in our world. None of us will be fired because some ops person has a bug up their ass or didn't get laid last night. Our company invests almost $800 a week into health, welfare and pension before we ever punch the time clock. Their is as much or as little overtime as you want. Yeah, their are issues with how the Teamsters have been handling our contracts and it seems at times that we are nothing more than a dues payment, but that is something we are going to have to work on and work on hard. I will admit that I was jealous of you guys back in the late 90's and early 2000's because of how much better a Teamster driver had it. I couldn't beat you, so I joined you. And I will never drive nonunion again if I can help it. It ain't perfect in Teamster world, but it isn't bad. I respect the opinions and words of wisdom from our senior brothers on this board. I hope one day that we can flip this thing around and get it back to where it once was. You know the nonunion drivers are reading this thread and are probably saying WTF? Well, it isn't all roses here in Teamster world, but at the end of the day, it's nice bringing home over $1100 a week in less than 60 hours. Sorry for the long read, but I wanted to give an honest take on it from a mostly nonunion turned Teamster driver.

Why, thank you very much! Not a long read if you have a valid point to prove.

When I started this thread, it really wasn't so much that XPO-Con-Way.......or FredEx ,.....or any of the non-Union players in the LTL field were making more an hour than us,.........I started this thread because of the missed opportunities that were bungled by our .......high and mighty "leadership"...... to make Union LTL great again.

Of course, every pay raise the non-Union companies give out will be taken back in supposed " health care increases".........The non-Union LTL guys haven't figured out that dirty little secret yet......,.(.....psst.......non-Union guys........if the health care provider raised their rates, you would be paying the increase to THEM ,......not your employer......).... …...

The difference in pay rate merely puts a simplified face on the problem. In my opinion,.....not only should we have all those benefits you've listed above,.......we also should have the TOP pay rate. We did have all that, at one time.........

Mr. Hoffa hasn't figured out that if he wants to organize the LTL field, he has to give the non-Union guys something to shoot for.......The disastrous third contract for UPS Freight put the nail in the coffin for Strength, Unity, and Power as far as the NMFA goes.....

Separating ABF from the NMFA was throwing dirt on the grave.......

R.I.P. NMFA. Done in by the son of the man who created you.

Congratulations on making it work and I hope you make it over that layoff line soon. You did a great job of painting that picture and I enjoyed reading it. Now...How many other industrial workers with skills have to go through what you are going through to make ends meet? You have described a difficult financial situation for a man with a family to endure, let alone a displaced elderly man. Have you found the best that there is to offer at this time? Quite possible but I do think that there is some better stuff out there, not much and not easy to get in at that better place but there are some. The situation you have described is more appropriate for an 18 year old (who is not eligible for one of these jobs) than it is for us. If I was to do it over again I'd go into a construction trade (union there of course) or CNC machining. Better pay, better job, better working conditions, and typically better health at the end of their carriers.

At first when I started reading your first post Canary, I was like uh-oh, has the man fallen out of his rocker? But I agree with what you are saying. I have talked to several Conway and FedEx drivers over the last year and I have offered my take on the union Vs. Nonunion stance WITHOUT trying to act like I am selling something. At the end of the day, we all do the same job, just a different colored uniform and truck. But the structure and compensation is very much different. I meant what I said about being jealous of you guys in my earlier years of driving. My first job in 1998 paid $12.11 an hour, while you guys were double that with the perks. Such as life.... This year is very important for the Teamsters and I hope we get it right come election time. And I hope we get it right come 2018 contract time.

Congratulations on making it work and I hope you make it over that layoff line soon. You did a great job of painting that picture and I enjoyed reading it. Now...How many other industrial workers with skills have to go through what you are going through to make ends meet? You have described a difficult financial situation for a man with a family to endure, let alone a displaced elderly man. Have you found the best that there is to offer at this time? Quite possible but I do think that there is some better stuff out there, not much and not easy to get in at that better place but there are some. The situation you have described is more appropriate for an 18 year old (who is not eligible for one of these jobs) than it is for us. If I was to do it over again I'd go into a construction trade (union there of course) or CNC machining. Better pay, better job, better working conditions, and typically better health at the end of their carriers.

It is just the truth. I wish I would have went into Teamster LTL much sooner than I did. At any rate, I am not disappointed with where I have been or where I am now. It isn't that scary being the lowman, just have to have a backup plan. You won't see me making any major purchases anytime soon and with our great cost free benefits I don't have to worry about being bankrupted by a medical emergency. Just gotta work thru it all and like you said, hopefully get over the layoff line one day.

Brothers,.........Make sure the delegates you're sending to the convention have CLEARLY STATED who they will support at the Las Vegas convention. No waffling,......none of this "I'll decide when I get there" stuff. All they're telling you there is that they don't have the spine to
stand up to Ol' Boy internal IBT politics,........nor do they have the spine to tell the members so.......

We need delegates who aren't AFRAID to loudly state who they will support at the convention. With the angry climate with the rank-and-file,..... it now becomes critical to send people who won't be bamboozled by the Good Ol' Boys.......... whose sole aim is re-election to keep the gravy train rolling..........NOT representing the rank-and-file in tough times.

The evidence is right in front of us.......just open up that steaming heap of a contract book,.........that is, if they've deigned to send you one,........and watch the smelly vapors rising from that fetid swamp of so-called ...."negotiation".....Go dust off your moldy grievances that have been gathering dust because.......as you've been told privately,...... no one wants to ...."rock the boat".....

They are scared of the companies!

I'll say it plainly: The current IBT leadership is scared of the companies! Scared that the gravy train might end.......No more cushy office,...and.......Lord Above! They might actually have to go back to their employer and WORK under the conditions they negotiated! Horrors!

Vote for delegates who aren't AFRAID to state who they will support!
Ibt isn't scared of companies. They are in bed together