XPO | XPO getting into Grocery warehousing

They have been warehousing and distribution for a number of companies for a few years.

Yeah Karenk... XPO is not just a trucking company, as you probably already know; but a logistics company that includes the type of business mentioned in the piece that you posted. Additionally, XPO has many other service offerings under it's umbrella. It's unfortunate that many teamsters will be put out of work w/ the new distribution center being built. I feel their pain, been there and done that, but the bottom line for the grocery chain doing what they are doing is easily understood: sustained profitability and growth in a weak economy. The piece did say that XPO is offering a decent benefit package to prospective hires at the new center. I hate to say it...but that's the way business is being conducted in the 21st century...cut costs to the bone if you want to survive. As far as XPO is concerned, they are not the villain here: they have perceptive insight into doing things new and different. They have a proven model that fits and works in today's world of flat or soft economic growth at best. In fact XPO is doing remarkably well, so far, with it's business model to date. XPO has climbed from the 12th position in 2014 to the 2nd position in 2015 of the top 50 Logistics companies according to TT. http://www.ttnews.com/top50/logistics/

Yeah Karenk... XPO is not just a trucking company, as you probably already know; but a logistics company that includes the type of business mentioned in the piece that you posted. Additionally, XPO has many other service offerings under it's umbrella. It's unfortunate that many teamsters will be put out of work w/ the new distribution center being built. I feel their pain, been there and done that, but the bottom line for the grocery chain doing what they are doing is easily understood: sustained profitability and growth in a weak economy. The piece did say that XPO is offering a decent benefit package to prospective hires at the new center. I hate to say it...but that's the way business is being conducted in the 21st century...cut costs to the bone if you want to survive. As far as XPO is concerned, they are not the villain here: they have perceptive insight into doing things new and different. They have a proven model that fits and works in today's world of flat or soft economic growth at best. In fact XPO is doing remarkably well, so far, with it's business model to date. XPO has climbed from the 12th position in 2014 to the 2nd position in 2015 of the top 50 Logistics companies according to TT. http://www.ttnews.com/top50/logistics/
Off topic - that list of top 50 logistics companies only has 3 nationwide LTL providers : 1.)UPS , 2.)XPO and 8.)FedEx.

I try to pay attention to the LTL industry ( I always figured all of the other LTLs had a strong logistics division ) Unless they go by different names , I'm surprised that OD , R&L , ABF , and Estes are not on the list.

It's pretty easy to see where the 'savings' are gonna come from...$10-11 per hour with NO benefits. Are you kidding me?

That's what the union is saying. They are going to bad mouth because the company is doing away hiring employees and subcontracting the warehouse out to a 3rd party

More and more cockroach scab owner ops more cheap foreign drivers and most of you drivers seem happy about it wait till ur yards are full of big box truckload carriers and u can't do a damn thing about it and it will happen if u think xpo cares about u ur nuts keep eating what they r feeding y'all good luck

More and more cockroach scab owner ops more cheap foreign drivers and most of you drivers seem happy about it wait till ur yards are full of big box truckload carriers and u can't do a damn thing about it and it will happen if u think xpo cares about u ur nuts keep eating what they r feeding y'all good luck
We have a UAW truck plant nearby. To keep it open the union agreed to non-union workers in the plant. The non-union workers all wear bright orange color vests and out number the union workers about 3 to 1.

When I walk in a Kroger or Meijer , they have the self checkout lanes - 1 cashier and works 4 or 5 stations compared to 1. ( Meijer and Kroger are both union but I'm sure they bargained this )

Meijer distribution center nearby. When a driver checks in they go to an auditor - a good paying union job at the other distribution centers but not this one - the union agreed to make it a non-union job here.

Not arguing union non-union , I'm saying before non-union companies and people get blasted and talked about , why doesn't the union do you the first thing that they are known for? Protect their own instead of what looks like sacrificing their own.

We have a UAW truck plant nearby. To keep it open the union agreed to non-union workers in the plant. The non-union workers all wear bright orange color vests and out number the union workers about 3 to 1.

When I walk in a Kroger or Meijer , they have the self checkout lanes - 1 cashier and works 4 or 5 stations compared to 1. ( Meijer and Kroger are both union but I'm sure they bargained this )

Meijer distribution center nearby. When a driver checks in they go to an auditor - a good paying union job at the other distribution centers but not this one - the union agreed to make it a non-union job here.

Not arguing union non-union , I'm saying before non-union companies and people get blasted and talked about , why doesn't the union do you the first thing that they are known for? Protect their own instead of what looks like sacrificing their own.

What funny was back in the day when I was a union member the union had a personal credit card you could get with the union logo on it and it was either a visa or MasterCard. The union would even know where you used the card. We would get news letters talking about the high percentage of charges at Walmart and they would ask member to stop doing that.
My point is that alot of union member's do not support there own stores. They all talk about union this and union that but at the end of the day they shop at Walmart.

My attitude has always been that if and when the Union starts paying the Union member's bill for their purchases, that's when the Union can tell them where to shop.
Until then, my family's budget comes first.
:1036316054:

Off topic - that list of top 50 logistics companies only has 3 nationwide LTL providers : 1.)UPS , 2.)XPO and 8.)FedEx.

I try to pay attention to the LTL industry ( I always figured all of the other LTLs had a strong logistics division ) Unless they go by different names , I'm surprised that OD , R&L , ABF , and Estes are not on the list.

Everyone has their version of Menlo. Just got to look up which companies are held by which companies. And which companies are in partnerships with which companies.

We fought the u-scans hard. Wal-Mart was doing it with such great success that it was unavoidable. There are a lot of people that genuinely hate other people handling their food and personal items, if even if just to ring them up. Between pressure of competition and customer demand, it became the new reality.

What funny was back in the day when I was a union member the union had a personal credit card you could get with the union logo on it and it was either a visa or MasterCard. The union would even know where you used the card. We would get news letters talking about the high percentage of charges at Walmart and they would ask member to stop doing that.
My point is that alot of union member's do not support there own stores. They all talk about union this and union that but at the end of the day they shop at Walmart.

One more way Wal-mart was able to stick it to the union.

We rarely shop there. Usually only if we are on vacation. Although we do have a Sams Club membership and that is a Wal-mart company. But we do our best to support the wife's store. Buy all our daily groceries there. And she gets a small discount on general merchandise, so if it's close and I can save on some gas, I'll buy some garden stuff or whatever there instead.

Talking to some of her co workers. It's the same old. Distain for the company. Distain for the union. They can't tell me where to go or what to do, type stuff. The union has failed in so many ways. And because of this, the bulk of its membership are not faithful.