XPO | XPO getting into Grocery warehousing

My attitude has always been that if and when the Union starts paying the Union member's bill for their purchases, that's when the Union can tell them where to shop.
Until then, my family's budget comes first.
:1036316054:

But if the union provided you a working wage and benefits to support and raise that family ... would you consider their advice ?

But if the union provided you a working wage and benefits to support and raise that family ... would you consider their advice ?
I would have to say NO.
My family comes first. Paying my bills is top priority. The Union wage has helped me get where I am in life, and I fully respect that, but it makes no sense to take what I've saved and waste it paying for a higher priced product, when I can get the same product cheaper down the street.

And after getting 15% of my wages taken away, that pushed me closer to the cheaper prices, since again, my family comes first.

I would have to say NO.
My family comes first. Paying my bills is top priority. The Union wage has helped me get where I am in life, and I fully respect that, but it makes no sense to take what I've saved and waste it paying for a higher priced product, when I can get the same product cheaper down the street.

And after getting 15% of my wages taken away, that pushed me closer to the cheaper prices, since again, my family comes first.
But when a company makes these decisions, they're evil?

You have never read where I said that.
No, you haven't said that, but others have. While I understand living within a budget, I do struggle with union members shopping at non union stores. If you were on strike, would you support a scab doing your job? After all, he's just doing what's best for his family, the same as you.

I would have to say NO.

Sure. But didn't that reluctance to pay for American goods made by union shops bring you to where you are ?

One part of the equation is China makes everything sold in the States. The other part is that Americans buy ::shit:: loads of Chinese goods.

If you were on strike, would you support a scab doing your job?
Heck no. But there is a huge difference between a scab and a driver who happens to work for a non-union company each and every day. A scab was brought in with the sole purpose to replace the workers that are on strike. And a non union driver doesn't have much say in whether his company is represented by the union or not. Big difference.

This conversation is probably going to get our hinders spanked. lol
:732:

While I understand living within a budget, I do struggle with union members shopping at non union stores.
Even union members have a family budget to live within. If the prices were the same, it's an easy decision. I have mouths to feed.
I figured out a long time ago, my one man crusade to fix America only hurts myself and my family. America (and it's politicians) decided that buying overseas products for cheaper prices were the better option. I fought against it and lost. Now I fend for myself.

But didn't that reluctance to pay for American goods made by union shops bring you to where you are ?
Years ago, I tried to toe the union line, and it got me nowhere. I watched Walmart after Walmart get built as America filled their parking lots. Cheaper products always wins out, especially in an economy like ours. I guess that somehow, someway, even the union represented operations need to keep their prices in line with their competition.

Years ago, I tried to toe the union line, and it got me nowhere. I watched Walmart after Walmart get built as America filled their parking lots. Cheaper products always wins out, especially in an economy like ours. I guess that somehow, someway, even the union represented operations need to keep their prices in line with their competition.

Okay. You make it sound like the union prices were extraordinary. We are talking about a nickel here and a dollar there. If you knew that spending another $500 a year back then would have avoided a 15% pay cut and saved your pension; would you have done it ?

Purely hypothetical. I am full aware that your spending habits don't change your managements business practices. But this is the union line of thought. That being loyal to the system will reward you in the end.

We have a UAW truck plant nearby. To keep it open the union agreed to non-union workers in the plant. The non-union workers all wear bright orange color vests and out number the union workers about 3 to 1.

When I walk in a Kroger or Meijer , they have the self checkout lanes - 1 cashier and works 4 or 5 stations compared to 1. ( Meijer and Kroger are both union but I'm sure they bargained this )

Meijer distribution center nearby. When a driver checks in they go to an auditor - a good paying union job at the other distribution centers but not this one - the union agreed to make it a non-union job here.

Not arguing union non-union , I'm saying before non-union companies and people get blasted and talked about , why doesn't the union do you the first thing that they are known for? Protect their own instead of what looks like sacrificing their own.
The members voted for the language in this contract.They could have voted no.,and leave it a closed shop.You weren't there at the bargaining table.Recommended or not they voted for it Don't blame the union for this one.

The members voted for the language in this contract.They could have voted no.,and leave it a closed shop.You weren't there at the bargaining table.Recommended or not they voted for it Don't blame the union for this one.
The members are the union.

If you knew that spending another $500 a year back then would have avoided a 15% pay cut and saved your pension; would you have done it ?

Purely hypothetical.
Me spending more money at a grocery store has absolutely nothing to do with whether my pension and pay would have been cut or not. Plus, do you think that the grocery store workers only have their personal goods shipped to their house via a union carrier? Heck no, they don't care, they want a cheaper price, just like I do at the grocery store.

I am full aware that your spending habits don't change your managements business practices. But this is the union line of thought. That being loyal to the system will reward you in the end.
I understand your questions, but they are so hypothetical that they aren't even tied together.

I have a lot of little businesses that I spend money at even though their prices are higher, because I like to help the little guy when I can. But I'm not going to pay an extra $20 dollars for a cart full of groceries just because the company is union.

Me spending more money at a grocery store has absolutely nothing to do with whether my pension and pay would have been cut or not. Plus, do you think that the grocery store workers only have their personal goods shipped to their house via a union carrier? Heck no, they don't care, they want a cheaper price, just like I do at the grocery store.

I understand your questions, but they are so hypothetical that they aren't even tied together.

I have a lot of little businesses that I spend money at even though their prices are higher, because I like to help the little guy when I can. But I'm not going to pay an extra $20 dollars for a cart full of groceries just because the company is union.

So you see no correlation between the off shoring of our economy and the elimination of middle class jobs; and consumers refusal to buy American and union made goods ?

Now you have changed the entire group of questions.
This society won't even get concerned about buying American products, let alone worry about Union made products. And as I said earlier, my one man crusade accomplished nothing.

So you see no correlation between the off shoring of our economy and the elimination of middle class jobs; and consumers refusal to buy American and union made goods ?

Americans refuse to buy American and union-made goods? Really? Proof?

Granted, consumers always want to pay the lowest price...but if that happens to be non-American-made or non-union-made, that's not Americans refusing to buy American/union-made, that's just consumers shopping as consumers have for 10,000 years.

I think your argument that there are large segments of the American populace that are adamantly refusing to buy American-made or union-made goods is fantasy.

What funny was back in the day when I was a union member the union had a personal credit card you could get with the union logo on it and it was either a visa or MasterCard. The union would even know where you used the card. We would get news letters talking about the high percentage of charges at Walmart and they would ask member to stop doing that.
My point is that alot of union member's do not support there own stores. They all talk about union this and union that but at the end of the day they shop at Walmart.

Saw a big ol' boy driving into KC yesterday evening with a YRC sticker on the back glass of a Yaris...

More and more cockroach scab owner ops more cheap foreign drivers and most of you drivers seem happy about it wait till ur yards are full of big box truckload carriers and u can't do a damn thing about it and it will happen if u think xpo cares about u ur nuts keep eating what they r feeding y'all good luck

All due respect, but I worked at Con-way and their yards were already full of big-box truckload carriers... I don't know how it can get much worse! Lol

I think your argument that there are large segments of the American populace that are adamantly refusing to buy American-made or union-made goods is fantasy.
It's all about the price and a family's budget, not whether it's made by a union company or American made.
Just like size.........price matters.