XPO | XPO Intermodal Suggestion

drivin4truthnow

TB Lurker
Credits
In my opinion intermodal is feasible to utilize if implemented wisely. XPO has the Pacer Stacktrain division which if integrated correctly can make LTL distribution profitable for retailers. Those of you who were here at the old CCX can remember the Con-Quest Intermodal business debacle. It was working, but the problems were many, such as marketing (i.e. logistics planning) and paying drivers well enough to want the job. Now with that being said, I currently see a DAILY afternoon Chicago westbound CSX intermodal train three quarters of which are UPS package trailers on it running. How is it that UPS and FedEx have the confidence to use intermodal and LTL doesn't? Those trailers may or may not be empty, but again they are on a scheduled run to Chicago saving money, so someone or some department is making accurate time and equipment planning. Yes, you are completely at the railroads mercy, but tracking is still there and a GOOD contract negotiated (schedule commitments) with the railroad would work.
14990831191_fee5104c15_b.jpg
UP-5131-Richelle-IL-10-11-09-4.jpg

17f22262-8492-4aae-b84d-48052f1ae454.jpg

Sometimes those trailers you are seeing on the rail are empties. ...they are just being relocated out of low volume zones. ...

I expect most of the freight going out west to be going in containers instead of sub service trlrs. It is a lot cheaper. The railroads are much more dependable and faster than they used to be. And it is something xpo already has a lot of experience with.

I expect most of the freight going out west to be going in containers instead of sub service trlrs. It is a lot cheaper. The railroads are much more dependable and faster than they used to be. And it is something xpo already has a lot of experience with.

Yeah CDD...and I'm willing to bet that Mr. Jacobs has had his IT guys working on some kind of 'freight optimizer' software package specifically
designed and engineered for LTL intermodal containers for some time now. I don't think that he purchased that intermodal company a few years
ago, I think it was 'Pacer', w/ over 11,000 containers, just to move truck load type business. Surely he must have plans to move LTL on the rails.

I'll bet that he's planning on using LTL intermodal specifically for 'Economy LTL' in the future. Developing that kind of software does take time I've heard. That's probably why he said that it would take up to 2 years to get 'Economy LTL' off the ground and up and running.

That'll be something new to see though... a XPO container dropped at my barn stuffed w/ economy shipments. I just hope that not too many of these shipments will be house deliveries. If they are...I hope that not too many of them will be loaded onto my peddle.

Seculation, speculation, speculation !!! We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. :popcorn:

I am really doubtful, in fact I can guarantee that all those trailers are not EMPTY. UPS has more sense than that, they just have the knowledge and technology to track and move their packages with the railroad's schedule. Eastbound freight is scheduled through Chicago and then to points east, Syracuse, Albany, and NYC intermodal yards.I know for a fact that they do this because I personally played a role in this process. So, believe me or not those piggybacks are NOT all empties being relocated, trust me. It's an effort that was made to have this work, XPO just needs to make the effort and I believe they will. Xerox uses UPS intermodal daily to Chicagoland from the east.

Sometimes those trailers you are seeing on the rail are empties. ...they are just being relocated out of low volume zones. ...
Yrc for example rails Salt Lake City and Portland non time sensitive freight from Kansas City starting on Wednesday thru Friday. Not a lot of freight coming back, so they do have to rail the empties back. Per union contract the company rails up to 25% of freight.

I am really doubtful, in fact I can guarantee that all those trailers are not EMPTY. UPS has more sense than that, they just have the knowledge and technology to track and move their packages with the railroad's schedule. Eastbound freight is scheduled through Chicago and then to points east, Syracuse, Albany, and NYC intermodal yards.I know for a fact that they do this because I personally played a role in this process. So, believe me or not those piggybacks are NOT all empties being relocated, trust me. It's an effort that was made to have this work, XPO just needs to make the effort and I believe they will. Xerox uses UPS intermodal daily to Chicagoland from the east.

Never said all of them were empties. ...I was just saying that empties do get relocated by rail when they build up. ...seen it done

Never said all of them were empties. ...I was just saying that empties do get relocated by rail when they build up. ...seen it done
We don't do that. We haul them back empty on bad roads and high winds grinding our teeth. Hauling empties on rail makes sense to me. I hate pulling them.

We don't do that. We haul them back empty on bad roads and high winds grinding our teeth. Hauling empties on rail makes sense to me. I hate pulling them.
so you would rather stay home making zero then haul an empty for cash?

Yeah CDD...and I'm willing to bet that Mr. Jacobs has had his IT guys working on some kind of 'freight optimizer' software package specifically
designed and engineered for LTL intermodal containers for some time now. I don't think that he purchased that intermodal company a few years
ago, I think it was 'Pacer', w/ over 11,000 containers, just to move truck load type business. Surely he must have plans to move LTL on the rails.

I'll bet that he's planning on using LTL intermodal specifically for 'Economy LTL' in the future. Developing that kind of software does take time I've heard. That's probably why he said that it would take up to 2 years to get 'Economy LTL' off the ground and up and running.

That'll be something new to see though... a XPO container dropped at my barn stuffed w/ economy shipments. I just hope that not too many of these shipments will be house deliveries. If they are...I hope that not too many of them will be loaded onto my peddle.

Seculation, speculation, speculation !!! We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. :popcorn:
I would take vets last line of his post, and run with it and the bag of popcorn. Believe it when you see it in writing from your company!

Reactions: ESP