XPO | XPO Logistics Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results

Why would UPS spend $15 billion to buy this ? XPO does the same thing as UPS ? What would be the motivation ? And why would you want that ? As a driver you would become useless. UPS already has several terminals in every city we operate. As LTL drivers that would be terrible.
UPS has the money. UPS Freight is tiny compared to Fed Ex Freight. They are tiny compared to us. They buy us and go to war with Fed Ex. Brown beats Fed Ex in every way right now but LTL. I worked for UPS once upon a time and quit because I am an idiot. I never had better benefits than I did with them. I suspose I am hoping to get it all back. Wishful thinking on my part.

They gave us a raise this year. It did happen. It didn't change attitudes.

They are in a weird spot. They want to hold onto as many drivers as possible and have to keep them working to do that. They believe that changing conditions within the industry will lead to a massive shortage of CDL holders. Once you get to that point, it's much easier to hire as much dock help as needed. Far easier than attracting wheel talent.

In the mean time. Many people will quit and retire or get fired. And head count will naturally go down. Which at the moment freight is down. So it's whatever. A lot of FOS and FOM quitting too. A big gripe is that there is no longer assistance for moving. And the best way to get promoted is to move into and opening elsewhere. Getting bought and going through all the changes associated is not easy.

The attitudes and morale issues are reflective of the situation. Not the compensation. People then leave for similar compensation in a much more favorable situation.
?
But why is freight down here? Remember xpo had ALL this freight where is it. Should it not be falling off the dock?

?
But why is freight down here? Remember xpo had ALL this freight where is it. Should it not be falling off the dock?
Freight is down, profits are up. XPO dumpwd the freight that doesn't pay. When the economy turns around after the election I think our tonnage will increase and our OR will continue to go down.

UPS is one of the wealthiest corporations in the world. Their package unit is the cash cow. LTL division is a complementary to complete their portfolio. While I am sure they intend to make a profit with LTL , package unit is the biggest driver of profits. So why would they want XPO ????

The odds of UPS buying one of the big LTL carriers is very close to zero. And you are correct trucknfool, there is no reason for them to want another LTL carrier since their portfolio is complete and diversified.

That is exactly correct Northern Flash , seems like there is some people at every Ltl that's waiting on UPS to buy them , Especially YRC . I guess it's some kind of pipe dream that people carry around . Odds are if they ever want to dominate the LTL market they would drop rates and do so through internal growth.

I would prefer more dock-time for Drivers, City and Line-haul...
I'm with you on this. Work is work. I know guys that think they're entitled to their overtime hours, and then pout like a child when they have to work the dock to get it. I was hired to move freight, and I'm paid pretty well to move it. I don't care if it's on the dock or in a truck.

We think is American terms because we are Americans. Most likely the buyer for something like this would be from Europe or Russia or China. Some :::shit::: we ain't never heard of and can't pronounce. Just like XPO. Who knew what a XPO was until we found out they bought us ?
Smart business men stay away from trucking because it's volatile and difficult to make money. If some billionaire wants to spend a few billion dollars to make money, there's easier and smarter ways to do it.

And with so much fat everywhere. My God. He can continue to cut and stream line for years. Con-way spent 30 years developing some of the most backwards, repetitive, useless and time consuming methods for doing anything and everything. I hope he molds the LTL into an OD clone. That would be fantastic.

Want an example ? Make a mover pro. Miss-loaded freight ends up somewhere it's not supposed to be. And you want to send it where it needs to go. Try following through on that and end up dealing with an hour or more worth of headaches. Which just leads to next time shoving it on a trailer heading whatever direction to get rid of it. And that at least gets it towards where it's going. But does it really have to be that hard ?

They have literally come up with methods to make every single thing that we do much much harder than it ever needed to be.

What's the SWI on opening a trailer take ? 20 minutes ? Pre-trip the outside. Check the chalk. Pre-trip the inside. Set the plate. Then you are ready to set it up in the scanner. Get that done and now you can actually start loading. Which after all that, you will have plenty of freight. Your dock is stacked to the ceiling and your freight is ten doors down mixed in with some other lane.
A much as I loath the garbage handhelds, the new linehaul dispatch system is going to save time and money. In a few weeks, the greeter position at the FACs will no longer be needed. I remember pulling into certain FACs and waiting 10 minutes in line for door assignments.

Anyone that refutes the idea that trimming fat and controlling cost can not continue here for years is ignorant on the subject and has never spent a shift on our docks.
EXACTLY!!!!!! Yet those that have never worked here are somehow more knowledgeable about the operation than those that do work here.

UPS is one of the wealthiest corporations in the world. Their package unit is the cash cow. LTL division is a complementary to complete their portfolio. While I am sure they intend to make a profit with LTL , package unit is the biggest driver of profits. So why would they want XPO ????
UPS is a rare corporation that has a big heart and wants XPO drivers to have great health care and retirement. Despite being a giant waste of money and time, they just want drivers to be happy. That's why they'll buy us.

That operating ratio is great. I can't remember when we operated that well its been so long. OD is the only ltl to operate better than we did. I was reading an article on the OD forum about how capacity should begin to tighten again soon. That will mean higher revenue for trucking companies and hopefully higher wages for us.

Looks like we're on our way to moving up into OD's league w/ our 86'7 OR. Too bad we can't enjoy our ride to get there the way OD drivers do.

Freight is down, profits are up. XPO dumpwd the freight that doesn't pay. When the economy turns around after the election I think our tonnage will increase and our OR will continue to go down.
But why has xpo not sent the freight to us instead of other ltl carriers? And don't say contracts because most have been rebid

But why has xpo not sent the freight to us instead of other ltl carriers? And don't say contracts because most have been rebid
I don't know. At my barn, way out west we are busy. I am seeing more and more through boxes going from U termimals to X,L, and N terminals and back from those terminals west. At my barn guys are stressed, working lots of OT, and we are hiring. I was honestly thinking things were screwed up before I saw the 2nd quarter numbers. Seeing more and more rebranded trailers and starting to see rebranded tractors and even some new ones here and there.

About XPO dumping non profitable accounts, I am curious about a few national accounts that some service centers are practically depending on to keep people working. I will not name the accounts or the service centers but if it goes away , they will not have much left. They put all there eggs in on basket so to speak. We will have to see how things play out.

I don't think that you have to work for a particular company to understand the industry, nobody in going to reinvent the wheel. It's always been monkey see monkey do....
Jacobs isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, nor is he watching others so he can do the same.

They gave us a raise this year. It did happen. It didn't change attitudes.

They are in a weird spot. They want to hold onto as many drivers as possible and have to keep them working to do that. They believe that changing conditions within the industry will lead to a massive shortage of CDL holders. Once you get to that point, it's much easier to hire as much dock help as needed. Far easier than attracting wheel talent.

In the mean time. Many people will quit and retire or get fired. And head count will naturally go down. Which at the moment freight is down. So it's whatever. A lot of FOS and FOM quitting too. A big gripe is that there is no longer assistance for moving. And the best way to get promoted is to move into and opening elsewhere. Getting bought and going through all the changes associated is not easy.

The attitudes and morale issues are reflective of the situation. Not the compensation. People then leave for similar compensation in a much more favorable situation.

only some saw a raise others did not.

not like the good old days were there we 10 guys standing outside waiting for a or to take your job. the one thing a driver shortage is good for is a better pay raise and XPO might want to keep that in mind because our competition are paying more per hour some as much as 2 buck around me. Yes some don't pay OT after 8 or 40 but when did XPO start guaranteeing OT every week or much less 40hrs per week

About XPO dumping non profitable accounts, I am curious about a few national accounts that some service centers are practically depending on to keep people working. I will not name the accounts or the service centers but if it goes away , they will not have much left. They put all there eggs in on basket so to speak. We will have to see how things play out.
well I'll start
1. Amazon
and other I see Harley Davidson, Ross Stores, DEE DEES discount. I know of a few barn that would be divested if those accounts are lost