XPO | XPO Logistics article in yesterday's USA Today

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
I am barely computer literate enough to use this website and the handhelds that my employer so graciously furnishes. Anyway, there was a scathing article about XPO Logistics and HOS, Labor/Wage violations at ports in So.Cal. in yesterday's edition of USA Today...I am not good at cutting/posting/pasting, so would someone help with this...
XPO Corporate...what a bunch you are going to have to deal with in the (not too distant--Like Now--future..)

I'm not saying any of these companies were right, but you just don't sign something you don't understand.
"To avoid the cost, many companies pushed their independent drivers into lease-to-own contracts that they didn’t understand and could not afford."

I thought all CDL driver had to be able to read and speak English?
"In a 2015 court case, Konoike-Pacific driver Jose Mairena said the company required him to sign a contract without translating it, knowing he couldn’t speak English."

XPO was not the only one just the biggest one
"As the USA TODAY Network first reported in June, at least 60 trucking companies operating in California violated labor laws by billing workers for company equipment"

Now they speak out this has been going on since 2008 last I check the was Democratic controlled state.
"After learning of the government’s ties with these port companies, prominent Democrats in the U.S. Senate spoke out against any agencies funding them"
“The DoD shouldn’t be giving taxpayer-funded contracts to companies that cheat their workers out of wages or take shortcuts on safety,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts".

Sander Letter was dated Nov 9 2017. He had no concern until then.
"Sen. Bernie Sanders called for President Donald Trump to audit the industry and issue an executive order banning port trucking companies with labor violations from receiving federal contracts."
As we see none of these democratic leader had no concern until this year. I sure they knew this was going on long before USA article came out.

I'm not saying any of these companies were right, but you just don't sign something you don't understand.
"To avoid the cost, many companies pushed their independent drivers into lease-to-own contracts that they didn’t understand and could not afford."

I thought all CDL driver had to be able to read and speak English?
"In a 2015 court case, Konoike-Pacific driver Jose Mairena said the company required him to sign a contract without translating it, knowing he couldn’t speak English."

XPO was not the only one just the biggest one
"As the USA TODAY Network first reported in June, at least 60 trucking companies operating in California violated labor laws by billing workers for company equipment"

Now they speak out this has been going on since 2008 last I check the was Democratic controlled state.
"After learning of the government’s ties with these port companies, prominent Democrats in the U.S. Senate spoke out against any agencies funding them"
“The DoD shouldn’t be giving taxpayer-funded contracts to companies that cheat their workers out of wages or take shortcuts on safety,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts".

Sander Letter was dated Nov 9 2017. He had no concern until then.
"Sen. Bernie Sanders called for President Donald Trump to audit the industry and issue an executive order banning port trucking companies with labor violations from receiving federal contracts."
As we see none of these democratic leader had no concern until this year. I sure they knew this was going on long before USA article came out.
Reputable companies don’t take advantage of people. Victom blaming is not a good defense.

Last edited:
Reputable companies don’t take advantage of people. Victom blaming is not a good defense.
But yet the victims should take some responsible they signed a contract they did not understand. That's what I was pointing out.
I also was point out that none of these Democratic senators had no care in this until 2017 even though it been going on since 2008.

This is a quote for USA today comment section:
Love how the Demoncrates come out of the wordwork to denounce an action that started in 2008 when youknow who was President and California's Demoncratic State Govt instituted a law that gave companies the levaerage to exploit truckers who beforehand were truly independant contractors.
All of a sudden it's an issue the Republicans in control need to address. The DOT failed miseably because these workers maintained false driving logs, and constantly put the public as greater risk of injury.

These companies are at fault for this predatory action, and the drivers own their decisions to sign this deal with the devil. Anyone with half a brain could see this is a :shit:ty deal to sign up for.

These companies are at fault for this predatory action, and the drivers own their decisions to sign this deal with the devil. Anyone with half a brain could see this is a :shit:ty deal to sign up for.
Except , someone that can't read the Queen's English.

Wasn't it written that some were rushed into a contract that wasn't written in a language that the person signing could not comprehend?

Exactly. Makes you wonder, if they are willing to push these guys this far, how far will they push us ?

I know I drink the Koolaid and everything, but I'm not worried about being forced into a lease purchase program.
I don’t think they were forced into that may be a little harsh even for a Xpo skeptic like me. For me it boils down to trusting a company that would put such a lop sided deal out there and to I trust them to be fair with us.
If their so capable of this what makes you so sure they are being aboveboard with us?

Last edited:
But yet the victims should take some responsible they signed a contract they did not understand. That's what I was pointing out.
I also was point out that none of these Democratic senators had no care in this until 2017 even though it been going on since 2008.

This is a quote for USA today comment section:
Love how the Demoncrates come out of the wordwork to denounce an action that started in 2008 when youknow who was President and California's Demoncratic State Govt instituted a law that gave companies the levaerage to exploit truckers who beforehand were truly independant contractors.
All of a sudden it's an issue the Republicans in control need to address. The DOT failed miseably because these workers maintained false driving logs, and constantly put the public as greater risk of injury.
Not to turn this into a political topic but at least the Democratics are trying to do something about it. When was the last time you heard of a Republican even thinking of doing something for the working guy. I do get you point of how late they were to respond.

Wasn't it written that some were rushed into a contract that wasn't written in a language that the person signing could not comprehend?
Then your an idiot. No sympathy. Am I going to sign a contract written in Chinese if I can’t read Chinese?

Not to turn this into a political topic but at least the Democratics are trying to do something about it. When was the last time you heard of a Republican even thinking of doing something for the working guy. I do get you point of how late they were to respond.
Yea only waited till there leader was out of office though. Just over 8yrs late

Yea only waited till there leader was out of office though. Just over 8yrs late
I have a feeling our political views may be a little different but I do agree that they say on that too long. Obama disappointed me on his labor stance when he got into office. He made some promises in that regard that he cast aside. I have a feeling he did so to get his healthcare agenda through as a compromise with Republicans who did not like his labor proposals

The article makes mention of drivers signing contracts they could not read or understand. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for s dumb-ass like that. To lose one's truck because one failed to read a contract, that failure is on that person and no one else.

I someone signs a contract they can neither resd nor understand that person deserves to be screwed over. A person can't be a dumb ads and expect to prosper.

The article makes mention of drivers signing contracts they could not read or understand. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for s dumb-ass like that. To lose one's truck because one failed to read a contract, that failure is on that person and no one else.
I someone signs a contract they can neither resd nor understand that person deserves to be screwed over. A person can't be a dumb ads and expect to prosper.
Nice