XPO | XPO Logistics CEO: In '10 years maximum, there'll be fully autonomous trucks

This is all talk for the stock market, you see, I'm the best, invest in me. Brad Jacobs has proven time and again he has no loyalty to his companies and to hell with his employees. Literally! For instance: look what happened to our medical insurance. It's catastrophic insurance at best. Eff him!!

Also he says he is going to refocus his drivers when all of the autonomous trucks come about. How will that overall sentiment make his drivers feel? What are we going to be refocused into, trailer sweepers, dock sweepers? They already have dock workers, I don't see that happening. That man is repulsive!

Last edited:
I don't read in that he has any plans of selling out, but I think that XPO will be one of the first to put Driverless Truck's on the road. I is clear that you are a burden to the business!!!
I am glad that I will be out of this business before all of this comes to reality.

I don't read in that he has any plans of selling out, but I think that XPO will be one of the first to put Driverless Truck's on the road. I is clear that you are a burden to the business!!!
I am glad that I will be out of this business before all of this comes to reality.
Me too!

10 years? The technology exists today. Does he mean within 10 years human drivers will be for the most part replaced? Who knows? My opinion is that there are too many variables, especially within congested or urban environments. As for interstate highway use, wait until an automated truck kills a family in a minivan. Then what?

10 years? The technology exists today. Does he mean within 10 years human drivers will be for the most part replaced? Who knows? My opinion is that there are too many variables, especially within congested or urban environments. As for interstate highway use, wait until an automated truck kills a family in a minivan. Then what?
It would be preventable and our fault even though we weren't driving!!!

Yes...let me elaborate on that point. Regardless where the technology is, I'm thinking that driverless trucks will not be allowed on the roads until the law figures out who a victim can sue when a driverless truck causes an accident. Does the victim sue the trucking company, the truck manufacturer, the software engineers who designed the program for the truck? I don't think that's been figured out yet.

And even if we get driverless trucks at some point. Will the driverless truck also have a driverless pallet jack to pull the freight to the tail when the customer has a forklift but no dock? Will the driverless truck be able to recoup a spilled skid enroute, prior to the next delivery?

How would winter driving be automated? We've all been there. You're driving on a slippery road, you brake and the trailer appears in your mirror as though it wants to look you in the face. How can an automated truck deal.with that? It may be programmed to sense a wheel lock, but to sense a slide to a specific side? Just look how unreliable the handhelds are with placarding. They don't recognize secondary risks which can require supplemental placards.

And even if we get driverless trucks at some point. Will the driverless truck also have a driverless pallet jack to pull the freight to the tail when the customer has a forklift but no dock? Will the driverless truck be able to recoup a spilled skid enroute, prior to the next delivery?
Who will remove the required Abloy lock? Will that be automated too?

Six months to replace a driver? See, Brad you done bought you a mess. This place has become a revolving door. These drivers have lost not only benefits that rivaled the Union LTL competitors, but also runs. The line haul runs here suck for new drivers. It takes a special kind of crazy to be a city driver. But line haul, it's a different story and should not be hard to retain drivers. We may as well start factoring in forklift laps around the reships towards a drivers million mile milestone. When the good majority of your line haul drivers spend the majority of their shift freezing or melting on a dock all night. It becomes hard to retain new drivers, especially when them same drivers are loading the sub service van that is taking away what they joined up to do. Meets use to be a common thing, as common, as now driving forty miles to a reship. With the optimizer, Via's have become more common place also. Oh no, guess what, the projection did not take into account the heavy, awkward and long freight, or the driver that just floors out his trailers to get out the FAC or just plain ole did not send enough drivers to the reship in the first place. Does not take much to get the Via snowball rolling. We make money by moving freight, not sitting on it. The whole network needs a revamp, we are no longer split into the con-ways. We are legion. More day linehaul, work thru weekends and I can not stress the need for more equipment. You want us to sell our services to new customers. We have to show them we can move their freight in a timely and efficient fashion. In today's world, we must be dynamic to compete. Being static will be our downfall.

Freight trains do not need engineers and they still have them. The technology is already there with positive train control. When I see the railroads get rid of engineers it will be a big step closer to autonomous trucks getting rid of some jobs.

Freight trains do not need engineers and they still have them. The technology is already there with positive train control. When I see the railroads get rid of engineers it will be a big step closer to autonomous trucks getting rid of some jobs.
And if they get rid of engineers on trains and drivers on trucks, we will wait and see how long it takes for a hacker to get into the computer controlling it, and crash it into a building r end of the rail line track... can you imagine a tanker load of flammables running down the road controlled by a hacker? Seems no companies computer systems are safe from hackers now...

And if they get rid of engineers on trains and drivers on trucks, we will wait and see how long it takes for a hacker to get into the computer controlling it, and crash it into a building r end of the rail line track... can you imagine a tanker load of flammables running down the road controlled by a hacker? Seems no companies computer systems are safe from hackers now...
REALLY ?!? The first driver for ANY company that says they have an electronic device ( handhelds , diads , whatever ) that doesn't crash or mess up , will make me believe that we can even think about this.

Who has a modern cell phone that doesn't crash or mess up? There's a LONG way to go before driverless tractor trailers. Get some driverless cars first. Like someone said , a train or something seemingly a little bit easier.

Yes but or road system are way behind. I know how long for a road or bridge to get repaired now you want them to update for driverless trucks. Sorry I can't stop laughing

Why not trains first??? It would look to be easier to do since they are on fixed tracks???