XPO Logistics CEO: In '10 years maximum, there'll be fully autonomous trucks

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by Dick Dastardly, Sep 14, 2017.

1. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

Don't think for one moment that politicians aren't beholding to the trucking lobby. They work for company money just like Hoffa. Laws can and will be passed that will prevent such lawsuits from having standing

2. Rollin

Rollin Member

Technology is moving at a rapid pace as time goes by, now we are faced with AI and BIG DATA. The so called "driver shortage" a problem they've created themselves, is all the more excuse for big trucking companies to go down the road of driverless trucks. My guess is any trucks that go point A to B will go first, such as linehaul or over the road. Little easier to mange on the up start. How much you think their going to pay to sit in cab and do nothing, as Barney retools the drivers?

Think about it, if something malfunctions in a truck or a train which one do you want a person in? A set of doubles/53' trl going down the interstate or 110 car train. I have heard of locomotive engines controlled remotely in yards.

Just my two cents as I see it.

highspeeds likes this.
  3. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

A team of lawyers will sue, collect millions, and life will go on, just like it does now.

Serene Gene likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Am I the only one who thinks of the movie Robots with Will Smith? Where his car gets hacked and he has to to manual override of the car. I laugh at the people who say it's poissible. I don't see automated trucks in the next 30 years.

ole man and LTLIndentured like this.
  5. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Problem is that the things already exist. Self driving car and trucks. They got pick up trucks that will back your boat and camper for you. Cars that will parallel park for you. The self stopping and auto corrected steering if you leave your lane. They are forcing the technology out into the four wheelers. Because the thing that fouls up the computer driven vehicles the most is human drivers driving poorly. Once they can install the mandates and update the traffic laws to cater to the computer, it will be easy sailing to run autonomous vehicles.

so-fla-br and Serene Gene like this.
  6. ScotchNeat

ScotchNeat Well-Known Member

7. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Last, bag standing

8. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

highspeeds likes this.
  9. White

White Well-Known Member

Or imagine this scenario: Truck gets hacked and runs the speed limit in the third lane. Then stops the two right lanes trying to exit from there. Oh wait, never mind :regretful:

10. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Great video. So you think they won't put easily hacked vehicles out on the roads ? They already did.