XPO | XPO Logistics CEO: In '10 years maximum, there'll be fully autonomous trucks

Don't think for one moment that politicians aren't beholding to the trucking lobby. They work for company money just like Hoffa. Laws can and will be passed that will prevent such lawsuits from having standing

Technology is moving at a rapid pace as time goes by, now we are faced with AI and BIG DATA. The so called "driver shortage" a problem they've created themselves, is all the more excuse for big trucking companies to go down the road of driverless trucks. My guess is any trucks that go point A to B will go first, such as linehaul or over the road. Little easier to mange on the up start. How much you think their going to pay to sit in cab and do nothing, as Barney retools the drivers?

Think about it, if something malfunctions in a truck or a train which one do you want a person in? A set of doubles/53' trl going down the interstate or 110 car train. I have heard of locomotive engines controlled remotely in yards.

Just my two cents as I see it.

Am I the only one who thinks of the movie Robots with Will Smith? Where his car gets hacked and he has to to manual override of the car. I laugh at the people who say it's poissible. I don't see automated trucks in the next 30 years.

Am I the only one who thinks of the movie Robots with Will Smith? Where his car gets hacked and he has to to manual override of the car. I laugh at the people who say it's poissible. I don't see automated trucks in the next 30 years.

Problem is that the things already exist. Self driving car and trucks. They got pick up trucks that will back your boat and camper for you. Cars that will parallel park for you. The self stopping and auto corrected steering if you leave your lane. They are forcing the technology out into the four wheelers. Because the thing that fouls up the computer driven vehicles the most is human drivers driving poorly. Once they can install the mandates and update the traffic laws to cater to the computer, it will be easy sailing to run autonomous vehicles.

Still wonder what will happen when some hacker,or terror group,
gets control of one of these vehicles,car or truck,and runs it into a crowd of people,or say a gas tanker into a building? Always seems to be someone who can break into someone else's system...
Or imagine this scenario: Truck gets hacked and runs the speed limit in the third lane. Then stops the two right lanes trying to exit from there. Oh wait, never mind :regretful: