XPO | XPO Logistics Sues Trucker YRC, Charging Rival ‘Poached’ Executives, Trade Secrets

A Driver Sales Representative that is any good at his job keeps an eye on his regular customers and communicates anything that may be an advantage to the Account Executive.

Again , I question what the Account Executives spend their time on during the day - take it as a criticism if you will , but I'm happy to state the fact that I have no idea what they do during their workday. We have some that ride with select drivers on occasion but that's a small sample.

I am using my terminal as an example: for the last decade we have had no new local accounts. Personally , I would like to see more new local accounts. The only new freight that has come to our terminal has been national accounts. Personally , I think that's wonderful but , I don't want all of our terminal's eggs in one basket.

What's wrong with national accounts? When there is a problem the local Account Executives don't have a lot of incentive to try and fix whatever is wrong. It's not their account. And as far as running into or getting ahold of an Account Executive , it helps as far as making sure the customer's satisfied with what XPO Logistics is doing for them.

And yes , of course we want the Account Executives in front of the people that make the decisions as far as who hauls their freight , but it's troubling to me as a driver that I've had those decision making people complain to me on the dock about not seeing an Account Executive.

So , I admit , I'm ignorant to how an Account Executive spends their time during a workday , if someone would care to share , please and thank you.
Quite possibly the most ignorant statement- "Local accounts not bringing on any new business." Local accounts are the only profitable accounts in this industry. We need national accounts due to their volume to pay for all the overhead. Any profit beyond that is due to local accounts that pay higher rates and don't have every accessorial fee waived.

Decisions are not made by the warehouse personnel any more. They are made in offsite office buildings and in the front office. That's why you don't see salespeople in the back of the building with the drivers much anymore.

prior to about 6 years ago, local account executives at con-way were only responsible for one thing- outbound revenue. That was irregardless of who was paying for it or making the decisions. That led to account executives hanging out and buying pizzas for big national accounts with a lot of outbound freight with no decision making ability. Then down the road the corporate says "no more con-way" for whatever reason and the freight stops. Account executive goes in "hey where is the business?" Customer says "sorry, corporate says we can t use you any longer". Salesperson says "what about the pizza lunches and games I took you to and everything I helped with smoothing out issues?" Customer says "thanks for that, but I can't use you. Corporate says".
All those pointless sales calls on people not even calling the shots. Now local account executives are responsive for revenue that hits the customer's negotiated pricing agreement. Outbound prepaid, inbound collect and third party shipments billed to the account. I'm sure there are some crappy salespeople out there. There are a lot of good ones too. If they are good they are sitting In front of the people calling the shots not just bs'ing on the dock or at the terminal listening to themselves talk. Salespeople know how that drivers are doing their jobs even though they may not see them everyday. Salespeople have goals and need to meet them to stay employed. So trust they are doing what they need to be doing as well.
On another note, we could be blowing the doors off this place if we could reduce damage. We churn about 30% of our business every year due to damage, service, or lower price to the competition. We cannot prevent low ever competitive pricing but we can reduce damage and improve service.
My question to you is, is it easier to grow by 5% every year by selling 35% new business or by reducing the churn by improving damage and service?
Please respond intelligently instead of throwing out a blanketo statement with no facts to back it up.

if them suits are helping yrc the same way they helped us oh boy.one of them will call him mr. tough guy after the way he treated us i can only hope them union boys take a dump down his neck.
We'll never get the chance to speak to any of these guys. Ever since the paycuts the senior execs quit coming around. They tried to come around to try to improve morale, but that didn't work out well for them. They sent some VP and a couple other guys to our terminalabout 5 years ago, but we all started yelling at them and calling them morons, and things got really heated to the point they got up and left and we followed them to the parking lot screaming at them until they got in their car and left. Haven't seen anybody from upper management since. Even the regional boss who used to come in a few times a year hasn't been back.

Quite possibly the most ignorant statement- "Local accounts not bringing on any new business." Local accounts are the only profitable accounts in this industry. We need national accounts due to their volume to pay for all the overhead. Any profit beyond that is due to local accounts that pay higher rates and don't have every accessorial fee waived.

Decisions are not made by the warehouse personnel any more. They are made in offsite office buildings and in the front office. That's why you don't see salespeople in the back of the building with the drivers much anymore.

prior to about 6 years ago, local account executives at con-way were only responsible for one thing- outbound revenue. That was irregardless of who was paying for it or making the decisions. That led to account executives hanging out and buying pizzas for big national accounts with a lot of outbound freight with no decision making ability. Then down the road the corporate says "no more con-way" for whatever reason and the freight stops. Account executive goes in "hey where is the business?" Customer says "sorry, corporate says we can t use you any longer". Salesperson says "what about the pizza lunches and games I took you to and everything I helped with smoothing out issues?" Customer says "thanks for that, but I can't use you. Corporate says".
All those pointless sales calls on people not even calling the shots. Now local account executives are responsive for revenue that hits the customer's negotiated pricing agreement. Outbound prepaid, inbound collect and third party shipments billed to the account. I'm sure there are some crappy salespeople out there. There are a lot of good ones too. If they are good they are sitting In front of the people calling the shots not just bs'ing on the dock or at the terminal listening to themselves talk. Salespeople know how that drivers are doing their jobs even though they may not see them everyday. Salespeople have goals and need to meet them to stay employed. So trust they are doing what they need to be doing as well.
On another note, we could be blowing the doors off this place if we could reduce damage. We churn about 30% of our business every year due to damage, service, or lower price to the competition. We cannot prevent low ever competitive pricing but we can reduce damage and improve service.
My question to you is, is it easier to grow by 5% every year by selling 35% new business or by reducing the churn by improving damage and service?
Please respond intelligently instead of throwing out a blanketo statement with no facts to back it up.
I appreciate hearing your thoughts from your prospective. Very informative......and coming from a viewpoint that most us never see.
:1036316054:

:couch:
CCX used to have the drivers on their side selling and promoting freight.
Couple of years ago the system was backed up due to weather and dispatch quit taking pickups at a certain time. I was at a good regular customer begging me to pickup a must go skid. Called the dispatcher to add it to my handheld and he said no. These people are computer operators and bean counters, they know nothing about business
Back in the day I'd have just picked up and it would have road. Who'd stick their neck out for these people?
CCX Con/Way are just dust in the wind, get over it and move on its a new world!:violin::couch::smilie93c peelout:

From the Con-way Southern prospective, things went to crap when the bozos from south west CSW took over. I guess that it went bad for CCX when Detter left. That bunch of management didn't grasp who built Conway and it's customer base. Hint the drivers

Does yrcw have the money to fight this lawsuit ???? maybe this will be the nail in the coffin for old yellow ????:19:

From the Con-way Southern prospective, things went to crap when the bozos from south west CSW took over. I guess that it went bad for CCX when Detter left. That bunch of management didn't grasp who built Conway and it's customer base. Hint the drivers
Disagree. I had a lot of respect for Big John. He would give you a straight answer even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, and because of him, you got A/C trucks. The decline came when Doogie rose to power and Fatbeard took over CSE.

Well with big John, you had idiots like the H R guy , I cannot remember his name. I wasn't impressed with his group of cronies at all.

Well with big John, you had idiots like the H R guy , I cannot remember his name. I wasn't impressed with his group of cronies at all.
I don't remember the HR guy, but I do remember a CSE guy that was pissed because he thought he was going to be president of CSE and wound up being VP under Big John. I didn't like him at all.

It's cute and all, this lawsuit. But non-competes are generally not enforceable other than trade secret claims. Pretty sure the state which you work in is the legal umbrella.

I know in California they are considered illegal and impossible to enforce. So it seems pointless unless xpo can prove the secrets claim.

They gave themselves huge bonuses after shafting the brotherhood with that contract. So I am guessing it's a, they have plenty for them, just none for you. Type of a thing.[/QUOTE

You see the union really fought for their members at YRC. From what one YRC driver told me is that all union members at YRC are giving back 11% of there pay to the company. I also found out that there top ay is only around $21 and then giving back around $2 for every hour work.:732:

They gave themselves huge bonuses after shafting the brotherhood with that contract. So I am guessing it's a, they have plenty for them, just none for you. Type of a thing.[/QUOTE

You see the union really fought for their members at YRC. From what one YRC driver told me is that all union members at YRC are giving back 11% of there pay to the company. I also found out that there top ay is only around $21 and then giving back around $2 for every hour work.:732: