XPO | XPO LOGISTICS

Grumpy

TB Lurker
Credits
As Amazon announced a plan to hire 100,000 temps to handle the holiday rush, the ugly truth about the horrid conditions of those who work in the company’s supply chain are being revealed. Recently, warehouse worker Jeff Lockhart Jr., a married father of three, died working at an Amazon fulfillment center in Chester, Virginia. But it isn’t just in Amazon’s warehouses that workers are suffering. Consider the story of Julio Garcia, who hauls imports for Amazon off the docks at our nation’s largest seaport – the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach.

Click here to sign a petition to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to respect the workers in Amazon’s supply chain.

Day in and day out, Julio Garcia gets in the company’s truck, drives to the port, and transports the electronics, clothes, and toys that Americans buy online every day from Amazon.com. Julio Garcia consistently works 50-60 hour weeks as a professional truck driver, yet his family was denied a home loan by the bank because they deemed his income “unstable.”

How could this be? Julio Garcia drives full-time for one of Amazon’s contractors, a giant company called XPO Logistics that is valued at more than $2.5 billion. XPO, like thousands of similar American corporations, engages in an employment scheme that leaves his family unable to show a “stable” income despite “stable” work by treating its workers as employees but paying them as “independent contractors.” This scheme not only allows them to avoid payroll taxes, but also lets the company deduct their business expenses from drivers’ paychecks. The company charges the drivers to drive the company truck, charge them to register, insure, fuel, and maintain their truck, and they even charge drivers to park the company trucks at the company yard! “There are weeks that they charge me so much that I make less than the minimum wage – and some weeks I owe the company for the privilege of working for them,” said Julio Garcia.

This is wage theft and it is illegal, so Julio Garcia is one of more than 700 professional truck drivers in California who have filed a claim with the state Labor Commissioner. This week, he and his coworkers delivered a petition with a list of their demands. It’s fallen on deaf ears, so XPO drivers are again on strike – their 8th strike in the last two years.

Click here to sign a petition to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to respect the workers in Amazon’s supply chain.

Sincerely,

Justice for Port Drivers campaign

P.S. Support us by signing this petition demanding changes from employer XPO Logistics.

As Amazon announced a plan to hire 100,000 temps to handle the holiday rush, the ugly truth about the horrid conditions of those who work in the company’s supply chain are being revealed. Recently, warehouse worker Jeff Lockhart Jr., a married father of three, died working at an Amazon fulfillment center in Chester, Virginia. But it isn’t just in Amazon’s warehouses that workers are suffering. Consider the story of Julio Garcia, who hauls imports for Amazon off the docks at our nation’s largest seaport – the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach.

Day in and day out, Julio Garcia gets in the company’s truck, drives to the port, and transports the electronics, clothes, and toys that Americans buy online every day from Amazon.com. Julio Garcia consistently works 50-60 hour weeks as a professional truck driver, yet his family was denied a home loan by the bank because they deemed his income “unstable.”

How could this be? Julio Garcia drives full-time for one of Amazon’s contractors, a giant company called XPO Logistics that is valued at more than $2.5 billion. XPO, like thousands of similar American corporations, engages in an employment scheme that leaves his family unable to show a “stable” income despite “stable” work by treating its workers as employees but paying them as “independent contractors.” This scheme not only allows them to avoid payroll taxes, but also lets the company deduct their business expenses from drivers’ paychecks. The company charges the drivers to drive the company truck, charge them to register, insure, fuel, and maintain their truck, and they even charge drivers to park the company trucks at the company yard! “There are weeks that they charge me so much that I make less than the minimum wage – and some weeks I owe the company for the privilege of working for them,” said Julio Garcia.

This is wage theft and it is illegal, so Julio Garcia is one of more than 700 professional truck drivers in California who have filed a claim with the state Labor Commissioner. This week, he and his coworkers delivered a petition with a list of their demands. It’s fallen on deaf ears, so XPO drivers are again on strike – their 8th strike in the last two years.

Sincerely,

Justice for Port Drivers campaign

P.S. Support us by signing this petition demanding changes from employer XPO Logistics.

This is also how that the so called " sub contractors" leave these drivers sitting anywhere from 2 till 10 or more hours waiting in line to get their container taken from their truck to one of the port loaders and not getting paid a penny for their waiting time. It was on 60 minutes a while back. The waiting times were in days when the port strike was on.

Let them do all of the above in California. It just takes one to file law suit and the ball will get rolling...

It's been brought up that XPO has had some questionable practices. No worries there. If they pull that we will all be up the street. If this guy thinks that the shortage is real, and that having and keeping drivers is the solution. Then he already knows better. If he thinks he will all tolerate those conditions because that guy does.... his competition is about to get an influx of new talent.

It's been brought up that XPO has had some questionable practices. No worries there. If they pull that we will all be up the street. If this guy thinks that the shortage is real, and that having and keeping drivers is the solution. Then he already knows better. If he thinks he will all tolerate those conditions because that guy does.... his competition is about to get an influx of new talent.
you will not do a thing except say YES SIR. All Jacobs is getting is a bunch of spineless yes men

we dont know what to think yet this is a new ball game for us we have had it pretty good at con way for the most part, now is the big waiting game what will jacobs take first i consider it a big chest match that i have never played oh well im f--ked

The thing is, this company makes money. It's not a sinking ship. If you milk a cow correctly you can end up with a lot of milk. I am sure there will be changes. But even more sure that he will make a lot of money off of this.

The only real question is how we will fair in all of this.