Xpo or

Still nothing. XPO is wanting to grow into something that can compete globally with the DHL and UPS of the world. True LTL will still thrive with these behemoths doing as they will.

Still nothing. XPO is wanting to grow into something that can compete globally with the DHL and UPS of the world. True LTL will still thrive with these behemoths doing as they will.
DHL primarily only does exports shipping only and domestic deliveries to businesses only, IIRC. i had worked for a contractor of DHL, and i ran the MASS to PA route nightly, and slowly DHL pulled out of the domestic pick-up/delivery in favor of exporting for the business sector instead.

maybe someday, DHL will make a come back to the states, but with fierce competition form UPS, USPS, FedEx, i don't really see that happening.

if Conway goes o/o, many things "may happen"..the line haul may be split with company drivers and o/o's, the daily deliveries can be split with o/o's and company driver's. if any company can find a cheaper way of doing things, like payroll, fuel, insurance, taxes, etc, they will pursue that avenue.

FedEx Ground, was once known as RPS, yet another company that i had worked for. RPS had company employee's, (me and a few others) and o/o's as well, that had either the step vans for deliveries, or o/o's with tractors for the line haul. i would show up for work, and be told my duties that day, and always subject to change. FedEx Ground however, may be all o/o's, but this i am not sure of.

I'd say that given the current trend we will all be seeing sweat pants and sandals dragging our freight down the road in our lifetime. The only question I have is how long will it take?

The assault on the middle class continues. You can't have a living wage until you bankrupt yourself with higher learning. Genius.

DHL primarily only does exports shipping only and domestic deliveries to businesses only, IIRC. i had worked for a contractor of DHL, and i ran the MASS to PA route nightly, and slowly DHL pulled out of the domestic pick-up/delivery in favor of exporting for the business sector instead.

maybe someday, DHL will make a come back to the states, but with fierce competition form UPS, USPS, FedEx, i don't really see that happening.

if Conway goes o/o, many things "may happen"..the line haul may be split with company drivers and o/o's, the daily deliveries can be split with o/o's and company driver's. if any company can find a cheaper way of doing things, like payroll, fuel, insurance, taxes, etc, they will pursue that avenue.

FedEx Ground, was once known as RPS, yet another company that i had worked for. RPS had company employee's, (me and a few others) and o/o's as well, that had either the step vans for deliveries, or o/o's with tractors for the line haul. i would show up for work, and be told my duties that day, and always subject to change. FedEx Ground however, may be all o/o's, but this i am not sure of.

DHL is UPS outside the USA. Con-way has done picks and deliveries with the most profitable truck the entire time I have worked here. I see truckload on my route all the time. And have met o/o that were delivering our freight.

I really don't care about any of that. I just want a trailer full of ones and twos to keep me busy.

DHL is UPS outside the USA. Con-way has done picks and deliveries with the most profitable truck the entire time I have worked here. I see truckload on my route all the time. And have met o/o that were delivering our freight.

I really don't care about any of that. I just want a trailer full of ones and twos to keep me busy.
yes, DHL is big across the pond, and they thought they could make a killing here, but did not. i liked working for the contractor, that had the account.

it is not something new to have o/o's taking up some of the slack or over loads of freight from some LTL companies. whether or not the companies choose to continue with o/o's, or let them go after things get caught up, is up to them.

I doubt that the road drivers would agree with that one but I'm confident that they wouldn't mind if the excess deliveries (or all of the deliveries) were made by cartage companies.

I doubt that the road drivers would agree with that one but I'm confident that they wouldn't mind if the excess deliveries (or all of the deliveries) were made by cartage companies.

We run the full road board every night. Being home every day is fantastic for a driver. But is a competitive disadvantage.

Do any of you long time LTL freight drivers think that if XPO does go independent contractor then the other freight companies will follow?

Not my thought. But the fella I spoke to today suggested that if it works for the FedEx and UPS of the world, we are all playing catch up.

They would have to organize before oo switch is flipped

The union guys are all up in a tizzy trying to preach the need. The union's biggest problem is the union. Not a very good track record of late. People would rather go drive somewhere else if it got bad enough that they wanted or needed a union.

The union guys are all up in a tizzy trying to preach the need. The union's biggest problem is the union. Not a very good track record of late. People would rather go drive somewhere else if it got bad enough that they wanted or needed a union.
That's what is happening with my company right now. Drivers are leaving in groups instead of considering Union representation. Several terminals have now hiring banners and have had them for months. What are the biggest concerns keeping drivers from going union?

That's what is happening with my company right now. Drivers are leaving in groups instead of considering Union representation. Several terminals have now hiring banners and have had them for months. What are the biggest concerns keeping drivers from going union?

The nightmare that is YRC. Imagine being a Holland driver. You did nothing wrong. A profitable company making money. And because they bought you up you lose 15% of your pay and have your pension disintegrate. You can say it's not the unions fault. But where is the non union example ? Con-way took 5% from us. But returned it and has given raises since. YRC drivers gave 15% in an MOU that the brass celebrated with millions of dollars in raises for themselves. A lot of guys have worked for unions in the past. If you didn't stay for life, there was a reason. And that reason is likely enough to keep you from going back.