XPO | XPO sends XTO a gift

So let me see if I understand this. The savior of con-way, the man with all the answers, the man with all of this 3rd party freight, Has drivers that are sitting home. How can that be, is all the freight going to competition? Anybody taking bets on how far this trains goes till it runs out of track? Jacobs is successful at one thing and one thing only, Bundling companies together and selling them, That's all. He has not ran a successful company for any length of time. Yes I know he has made a lot of money, Buy buying and selling not Running.

Even better ? Right now he is advertising for regional OTR jobs. Free training for your CDL and sign on bonuses.

Has to be really rough at the small terminals right now. And in those areas you can't just go across the street to get another job. Across the street ain't nothing but trees.
well i'm at a class 5 (19 drivers)at the end of the xpo road. the bottom 2 guys work mostly 4 days on average the other guys get their 40 give or take.during winter i see usually one trailer for xpq&xew last week one night i had three trailers,last night i had 175 cube just for xpq and 130 for xew.the return of the dog food and cardinal health are a nice sight,the time august gets here we should have a clearer idea of xpo's true plan.last year we had guys working just 1 day for the week.so over here at the end of the world it looks like the world is not at the end(yet) and if land air of new england can't get reinstated to "satisfactory" by d.o.t there could be a little extra freight to go around!!!!

well i'm at a class 5 (19 drivers)at the end of the xpo road. the bottom 2 guys work mostly 4 days on average the other guys get their 40 give or take.during winter i see usually one trailer for xpq&xew last week one night i had three trailers,last night i had 175 cube just for xpq and 130 for xew.the return of the dog food and cardinal health are a nice sight,the time august gets here we should have a clearer idea of xpo's true plan.last year we had guys working just 1 day for the week.so over here at the end of the world it looks like the world is not at the end(yet) and if land air of new england can't get reinstated to "satisfactory" by d.o.t there could be a little extra freight to go around!!!!
Your from New England. Did you guys hear anything about Crystal Motor Freight from the Boston area closing? I used to run freight there for another carrier about 100 years ago.

Your from New England. Did you guys hear anything about Crystal Motor Freight from the Boston area closing? I used to run freight there for another carrier about 100 years ago.
They voted in teamsters, owner of company refused to negotiate in good faith, they went on strike and owner closed the trucking side of crystal. That's pretty much it. Haven't seen a crystal truck in 3 weeks and doubt anyone will

Just came over the wire that a northeast regional carrier, 'Land Air Express of New England', got shut down by the DOT...called an unfit carrier, bad equipment, violations, etc. Sooooooo... I think that may be the reason that our barn is a little bit busier than ususal. Oh...'we do' have the equipment and capacity to handle some of that market share...indeed 'we do.' When I got in tonight at 18:15 after starting at 08:00, and being totally stressed out w/ a very heavy day, I knew something was going on cause a 04:30 start guy got in at the same time as me. Just hope when xpo's business plan starts firing on all cylinders we don't get overwhelmed.

no i have not, but i have not left maine in 5 months either

Just came over the wire that a northeast regional carrier, 'Land Air Express of New England', got shut down by the DOT...called an unfit carrier, bad equipment, violations, etc. Sooooooo... I think that may be the reason that our barn is a little bit busier than ususal. Oh...'we do' have the equipment and capacity to handle some of that market share...indeed 'we do.' When I got in tonight at 18:15 after starting at 08:00, and being totally stressed out w/ a very heavy day, I knew something was going on cause a 04:30 start guy got in at the same time as me. Just hope when xpo's business plan starts firing on all cylinders we don't get overwhelmed.

I wish a few carriers around here would go and get themselves closed down.

There is a whole lot less now than we had in 1975 and on through the 70's and 80's; there were small intrastate carriers and cartage companies everywhere back before and at the time of deregulation. Things have really changed and it is not the same playground and not as fun!!

I only know too full well BD4U. The best LTL gig I ever had was w/ a regional carrier that went belly up in the 90's. What a crying shame...such great co-workers and management to work with. We had such great relationships with a family friendly like atmosphere and everybody took pride in the company and worked their tails off to keep the thing successful. When I look at Conway and now XPO ,(which really is Conway in XPO clothing for now), there's no real comparison. Mr. Brooks' talks about respect for every individual in his 'operations summit 2015' you tube short, but I'm having a hard time seeing it at my barn. Maybe it will happen down the road at my barn and the company as a whole someday as he promises...but for now I can only wait and hope.

I only know too full well BD4U. The best LTL gig I ever had was w/ a regional carrier that went belly up in the 90's. What a crying shame...such great co-workers and management to work with. We had such great relationships with a family friendly like atmosphere and everybody took pride in the company and worked their tails off to keep the thing successful. When I look at Conway and now XPO ,(which really is Conway in XPO clothing for now), there's no real comparison. Mr. Brooks' talks about respect for every individual in his 'operations summit 2015' you tube short, but I'm having a hard time seeing it at my barn. Maybe it will happen down the road at my barn and the company as a whole someday as he promises...but for now I can only wait and hope.

Right now management is terrified that they are all going to get fired. Or worse. The drivers are going to get pissed enough to bail and they will have no one to manage or count on and this place will sink further down the rabbit hole.

It's a tricky situation. They are being pushed incredibly hard to make numbers to look good. And that means pushing their drivers because you can't deliver freight from a desk. And that leads to drivers getting pissy and looking around. And for a driver, there is a lot to see. For management, what are their options ? It's not a good situation.

The more I see and hear about the new recession and the more that trickles out about what is coming from XPO. I still believe that there will be a massive loss of drivers this spring. That our compensation will not justify the risk or the effort needed. And that with so many opportunities available, even in what is a down economic cycle, people will see value in getting on somewhere else. It's amazing what's out there. And XPO isn't the only company trying to stock up on wheel talent.

The guy can make money out of nothing. And he will get his money out of this. I am less confident than ever that we will get to share in that success. It just doesn't seem like his goals are in line with expectations. Moving into economy freight with containers and rail and all.

I don't know. It's my intention to stay until spring of 2017 at least. When all this ::shit:: hit in '08 it wasn't until the summer of '09 that things got back to rock n rolling again. We will see. Just like things can change from their end, things can change from mine.

sounds to me like your describing the gerry detter con-way in your first statement, maybe this time next year the new boss gets us closer to that euphoria

sounds to me like your describing the gerry detter con-way in your first statement, maybe this time next year the new boss gets us closer to that euphoria

Nope CTR, the regional LTL that I was referring to had nothing to do w/ Gerry Detter. It was a regional that was established back in the 1920's and had it's roots in upstate Vermont. Eventually it grew and branched out to cover all of New England, the Canadian Maritimes, the eastern seaboard down to Florida, and as far west as Ohio. It wasn't big compared to XPO/Conway, but boy did they take care of their people and we didn't have to put up w/ all that goes on now a days. Those days are totally gone...but it sure is fun reflecting on all the good times that were had.

Nope CTR, the regional LTL that I was referring to had nothing to do w/ Gerry Detter. It was a regional that was established back in the 1920's and had it's roots in upstate Vermont. Eventually it grew and branched out to cover all of New England, the Canadian Maritimes, the eastern seaboard down to Florida, and as far west as Ohio. It wasn't big compared to XPO/Conway, but boy did they take care of their people and we didn't have to put up w/ all that goes on now a days. Those days are totally gone...but it sure is fun reflecting on all the good times that were had.
Sounds like your referring to St.J.If so That was a great company!

Right now management is terrified that they are all going to get fired. Or worse. The drivers are going to get pissed enough to bail and they will have no one to manage or count on and this place will sink further down the rabbit hole.

It's a tricky situation. They are being pushed incredibly hard to make numbers to look good. And that means pushing their drivers because you can't deliver freight from a desk. And that leads to drivers getting pissy and looking around. And for a driver, there is a lot to see. For management, what are their options ? It's not a good situation.

The more I see and hear about the new recession and the more that trickles out about what is coming from XPO. I still believe that there will be a massive loss of drivers this spring. That our compensation will not justify the risk or the effort needed. And that with so many opportunities available, even in what is a down economic cycle, people will see value in getting on somewhere else. It's amazing what's out there. And XPO isn't the only company trying to stock up on wheel talent.

The guy can make money out of nothing. And he will get his money out of this. I am less confident than ever that we will get to share in that success. It just doesn't seem like his goals are in line with expectations. Moving into economy freight with containers and rail and all.

I don't know. It's my intention to stay until spring of 2017 at least. When all this :::shit::: hit in '08 it wasn't until the summer of '09 that things got back to rock n rolling again. We will see. Just like things can change from their end, things can change from mine.

Yeah HS, I agree w/ your sentiment about the future of what's gonna happen . The sad part, there ain't much one can do about it. It's just the way it is in business today. Squeeze as much out of guys as is possible. When a dsr quits or gets canned at our barn, we look at each other and say,"NEXT". The only problem w/ that line of thinking is...who is gonna be next? Guys today don't want to get their hands dirty, work out in the elements, do physical labor, etc. Soooo... I really don't know what the future holds for any of us drivers or trucking companies for that matter.

Anyway, lets just hope and pray that things all work out no matter where we might end up and make it to the retirement finish line w/ out backs still in relatively good shape.