XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still amazes me that some people say the unions don't do anything for the working people and that unions (teamsters)are a cancer as some people put it. Then i read something like this and wonder who the real cancer is? Is it the union or the people who are willing to trust the rich?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/272407202-story

https://www.google.com/amp/www.merc...of-facebook-cafeteria-workers-join-union/amp/
This are examples of people being a union.

Looks like you need to go work in the cafeteria.

I don't know how you miss it, honestly. We've gotten a raise every year since the buyout. On the call they talked about lowering the age of the fleet, which means they're buying new trucks and we've all seen the trailers. They're hiring sales people, showing they can learn from their f-ups. They're hiring dockworkers so we can drive. They wouldn't be doing all of that if they were trying to dump the company for Christmas. My retirement account is mine, and I'll have no problem getting another job if I need one.

And I know the lines about labor utilization and engineered standards are scary, but the biggest gripes on here are about the people we work with not pulling their weight. Do you want them to address that or not? I really can't tell.

I think it's going to take some time to figure this out. Longer than 2 years. They're going to make more mistakes. But I'm betting they're going to work hard at it for several years to come, and I'm not worried about pay or benefit cuts in that time. Eventually the people using the union as a shield against such cuts are going to realize they're betting on the wrong dog.

Reducing the age of the fleet. Well, they delivered the rest of last years Cascadias. And they put a bunch of stuff out of service. So yeah, addition through subtraction really.

The raises were nice. But are really just to keep drivers from quitting. Not attractive enough to draw in new talent.

Hiring sales people to do the broad full spectrum selling of the whole of XPO not just XPO LTL.

We need to bring in about a million dock hands so that the .01% that is worth hiring can actually staff us.

Not many believe he will dump us by Christmas. But it is his end game to sell. Not CLOSE. SELL. XPO will continue on after Jacobs has left.

You need to take all your information about that retirement account to a professional and get the truth on that money and who it belongs to.

We all got CDLs in our pockets. Getting a job is easy. I just hope he don't buy another LTL with that $8-$10 billion.

I want the work standards to be fair and equally applied. And management to have fair work standards as well. To much crazy ::shit:: going on right now. It's hard to tell what's what.

The union is a dead dog. By the time it will take to form and organize a group large enough to matter, it won't matter any more.

People not pulling their weight AND the management is aware of it and fails to act. Management runs the company. Management should DIRECTLY address those individuals. Instead there are all types of schemes to address problems that are not problems that create new problems that did not exist in the first place.

If you are the worst of the worst. You should be let to know about it. If you don't correct it. Then you should be shown the door.

We got a particular dock hand that loads an out bound lane. Been here for years and knows good and well how to do things right. Just doesn't want to. I don't know how many millions and I do mean millions of dollars worth of damage, to freight and equipment he has done just this year. But it must be an amazing number. And they still pay him to do it. Plenty of pictures and emails. But nothing. No one cares.

I think that it's the intentional and deliberate stuff that gets people upset the most.

The problem is that there's just no objective way to measure productivity in LTL. Two city routes in the same town could have very different stops per hour. That long box full of 4x4x4 double stacked skids shouldn't result in penalties for the guy stuck with the 20' steel.

What's needed is for management to be allowed the latitude to decide who is not pulling their weight, but drivers won't allow that. They demand objective, written standards for LOIs. Otherwise they cry favoritism, call lawyers and unions, and generally pitch a fit instead of working together to cut the fat.

I think it's important to remember that XPO is new at this- remember the sales massacre right after the buyout. So if they want to try to make productivity standards, be my guest. I don't think it'll work, but they clearly need to find that it for themselves. Remember that 50% reduction goal in accidents? The safety managers pulled their hair out, but the company had to wait to see if it could be done. And yeah, that guy is gone and now it's 15%.

The company isn't going anywhere and we're making money. I deliver freight fast and I don't have accidents or get hurt. I'll just keep doing my thing and let people above my pay grade worry about engineering standards. My job isn't in jeopardy.

I feel a more direct threat to our LTL jobs specifically will be interlining. Especially as home delivery spreads through last mile and line haul spreads through contract logistics.

We really need the economy to continue growing. With all the freight out there right now, those guys are making good money pulling other freight. If the economy dips, we will have vultures sitting outside our gates.

I agree with Gene this company is going nowhere they are making money . Last qtr o/r 84 and change. They will figure out how to take out more cost and drive that number lower for sure.

You can tell he was very unhappy with that number and the LTL as a whole. They didn't want to talk about it at all. Last mile ! Contract logistics ! XPO is doing great !

If you are the worst of the worst. You should be let to know about it. If you don't correct it. Then you should be shown the door.

We got a particular dock hand that loads an out bound lane. Been here for years and knows good and well how to do things right. Just doesn't want to. I don't know how many millions and I do mean millions of dollars worth of damage, to freight and equipment he has done just this year. But it must be an amazing number. And they still pay him to do it. Plenty of pictures and emails. But nothing. No one cares.

I think that it's the intentional and deliberate stuff that gets people upset the most.
I think his name is Mike.

I wouldn't put names out there. Site management don't like that. It's also poor form. I don't wish bad on the guy. I'm just shocked he has gotten away with such bad behavior for so long.
I won't put a last name. But this guy is the "Michael Jordan" of damaged freight. I've posted about him in the past , yet , his legend continues to grow.

You need to take all your information about that retirement account to a professional and get the truth on that money and who it belongs to.

My 401k belongs to me- vested as soon as it's deposited. My Con-way pension isn't really enough to worry about. If it's still there, I can maybe drink fancy beer in retirement.

We all got CDLs in our pockets. Getting a job is easy. I just hope he don't buy another LTL with that $8-$10 billion.

He said straight up that he isn't looking for another asset-based company- investors don't like it when you lie to them. Besides, there's no reason to buy another LTL right now. They're still not done integrating us- I can't see them choosing to add another fleet, IT system, office, management and/or board... not to mention the driver seniority debacle that would develop. Won't happen.

I feel a more direct threat to our LTL jobs specifically will be interlining. Especially as home delivery spreads through last mile and line haul spreads through contract logistics.
I'm not too worried- the freight we're going to lose in home delivery is the stuff we don't want anyway. And subservice sucks- trying to contract out linehaul on a large scale would torch service. I think our jobs are safe for a while.

Hey, speaking of goat cheese- the last time we got an update from you there was a negotiating session scheduled for the beginning of June. Anything good happen? Should have been another one this month, too, right? How many agreements do you guys have now?
Yes they met in June and agreed to all but a couple of points that Miami has to this point.Those two points were delayed over wording and should be agreed after some admendments. They are waiting on negotiations in Miami to negotiate the remaining non economic points before meeting again as both sides agreed too. We will be moving into economics at the same time . The progress is steady but it's never fast as we would like but the company is working with us. We are hoping for a full agreement by late fall.
Thanks for asking I will see what more I can find out.

By the way I like a nice Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc paired my goat cheese ...
I'm on vacation this week and looking forward to having some.

Last edited:
My 401k belongs to me- vested as soon as it's deposited. My Con-way pension isn't really enough to worry about. If it's still there, I can maybe drink fancy beer in retirement.

He said straight up that he isn't looking for another asset-based company- investors don't like it when you lie to them. Besides, there's no reason to buy another LTL right now. They're still not done integrating us- I can't see them choosing to add another fleet, IT system, office, management and/or board... not to mention the driver seniority debacle that would develop. Won't happen.

I'm not too worried- the freight we're going to lose in home delivery is the stuff we don't want anyway. And subservice sucks- trying to contract out linehaul on a large scale would torch service. I think our jobs are safe for a while.

Your 401K is now a trust. The plan pays you what the plan deems you to be paid. You are no longer a shareholder. The minimum required by law is all you will get out of the pension. Paid over 60 months. It is no longer a pension. This frees them of all the regulations stipulating how the money is allotted and allocated from a traditional pension plan.

He might buy up a LTL for better buildings in better locations. Some of our barns are very old. And many of them need a great deal of refurbishing. Also, some of them are just in bad locations. Especially for the variety of services provided by XPO. In my opinion it wouldn't be a coast to coast size LTL. It would be a more regional acquisition. More targeted. Something in the Northeast maybe. More access to population dense areas. Maybe something in Texas. Dunno. Just trying to look at things realistically. The human cost is certainly not his domain. He's all about building the company.

I agree on the home delivery. And maybe we see more long boxes. Maybe we don't. Hopefully he keeps us busy and the economy stays strong. One bad turn could get ugly. He's got this thing mortgaged to the max.

I like goat cheese anyone else?

suck·er
(sŭk′ər)
n.
1. One that sucks, especially an unweaned domestic animal.
2. Informal
a. One who is easily deceived; a dupe.

What is 666?
The Meaning of Numbers: The Number 666. The meaning of 666, as many a new Bible student quickly learns, is derived from the number and mark of the Beast Power written about in the book of Revelation. It symbolizes the perfection of man's overall system that is separated from God and under the constant influence of Satan the devil.

If you are the topic. Just saying.

suck·er
(sŭk′ər)
n.
1. One that sucks, especially an unweaned domestic animal.
2. Informal
a. One who is easily deceived; a dupe.

What is 666?
The Meaning
of Numbers: The Number 666. The meaning of 666, as many a new Bible student quickly learns, is derived from the number and mark of the Beast Power written about in the book of Revelation. It symbolizes the perfection of man's overall system that is separated from God and under the constant influence of Satan the devil.

If you are the topic. Just saying.
?

Status
Not open for further replies.