XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't pay much attention to his post for that reason .
Really?
vigv4QS.jpg

No not really.. I was just responding in the heat of a text. You got me . Next time your on the east coast look me up and I'll buy you a beer to make up for that.

The Con-way pension is locked away. You'll receive 1/3 your original entitled benefit for 60 months after you qualify. This isn't going to change. It's the cheapest way out for the company. Any unclaimed money is returned to the company.

You need to research that old Con-way money. You seem confused on it. There are no outside factors. It's boarded up and a dead deal.
You lost me on that one Highspeeds, where do you get the one third of the original amount??? If you are saying that it's one third of the full pension that we would have gotten before it was cut and gut , I follow you. I don't count that. I am just looking at what the final numbers are after it was discontinued.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...andit-charm-fades-as-truck-driver-hiring-lags

This an article posted by Fly by Night under another topic. I'm reposting it here to stay on topic and I want to point out two things that I take from it .

1) wages in the industry have degraded since deregulation and the departure from organized labor and no matter what tricks the companies try to lure drivers the bottom line lack of real compensation gain has hobbled the effort to hire drivers.

2) This a quote from the business friendly Bloomberg article that I thinks sums up our problem: " Raising salaries is another option, but it would cut into profit margins. The University of Pennsylvania’s Viscelli said companies would have to double driver pay -- now about $41,000 -- to reduce turnover. About 30 percent of new drivers quit in the first three months, according to Stay Metrics."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...andit-charm-fades-as-truck-driver-hiring-lags

This an article posted by Fly by Night under another topic. I'm reposting it here to stay on topic and I want to point out two things that I take from it .

1) wages in the industry have degraded since deregulation and the departure from organized labor and no matter what tricks the companies try to lure drivers the bottom line lack of real compensation gain has hobbled the effort to hire drivers.

2) This a quote from the business friendly Bloomberg article that I thinks sums up our problem: " Raising salaries is another option, but it would cut into profit margins. The University of Pennsylvania’s Viscelli said companies would have to double driver pay -- now about $41,000 -- to reduce turnover. About 30 percent of new drivers quit in the first three months, according to Stay Metrics."

Even union carriers can't get drivers. YRC and ABF both have signs out and in big letters say "Company paid benefits". The simple fact is no one wants to do this job

Even union carriers can't get drivers. YRC and ABF both have signs out and in big letters say "Company paid benefits". The simple fact is no one wants to do this job
Ups package has no problems getting drivers at 36.77 an hour. Maybe if ltl wages had kept up with theirs we wouldn't have this problem. I know its hard for you guys that haven't been in the industry to realize that our hourly rate paralleled Ups packages at one time . The ltl pay stagnanted after deregulation and Ups marched ahead with decent increases and no loss of benefits. To attract drivers pay has to raise industry wide and customers will have to swallow the pill in rate increases.
The industry wants something for nothing ( bare minimum) and unfortunately it's not working. I know there more complexity to this than I stated here but that's the basic Problem. We can chase an O/R of 80 but remember to get there you have to take out cost in the operation and where is that going to come from?

Last edited:
Ups package has no problems getting drivers at 36.77 an hour. Maybe if ltl wages had kept up with theirs we wouldn't have this problem. I know its hard for you guys that haven't been in the industry to realize that our hourly rate paralleled Ups packages at one time . The ltl pay stagnanted after deregulation and Ups marched ahead with decent increases and no loss of benefits. To attract drivers pay has to raise industry wide and customers will have to swallow the pill in rate increases.
The industry wants something for nothing ( bare minimum) and unfortunately it's not working. I know there more complexity to this than I stated here but that's the basic Problem. We can chase an O/R of 80 but remember to get there you have to take out cost in the operation and where is that going to come from?
The one big difference is you don't need a CDL to drive a package truck. Your hiring pool is a lot larger. You also need to look at there working conditions how many here could work like they do. Hell you should hear the bitching when someone gets an inside Del.

The one big difference is you don't need a CDL to drive a package truck. Your hiring pool is a lot larger. You also need to look at there working conditions how many here could work like they do. Hell you should hear the bitching when someone gets an inside Del.
Agreed. A whole different animal, and not an accurate comparison.

You can say the pay stagnated durning deregulation, but you must admit the unions allowed to happen. They also had no choice since company after company was closing its doors.
UPS has how many companies that do the same thing they do. It 2 and one is not a big threat in the US. FedEx and DHL. Now list how many companies do what we do or is someway do what we do. Thats why the big pay difference.
When CCX open up there main sales point was next day. I worked at AF and our sales point was 550 miles next day. We made money hand over fist. Now that everyone does it there no sales edge now. The only sales edge is price and damage free and that it. There is nothing we do that ABF, YRC, or even FEDEX doesn't do. We have yo pay fair but also keep from closing the doors. At AF i know every time a LTL company closed we would got tons of extra freight and I'm sure this place did to.
Some might even remember how bad it got durning the teamster strike back in the 90s. I hate to say it but that strike help jump start a lot of the LTL companies like CCX and AF grow to become as big as they are now. Since that strike there are only two many companies still standing and one is struggling. That's why I believe the teamster is such a hard sell now because there past speaks loudly for them and the mounting pension problems doesn't help either.

You see captain deadhead most of us are self made men on here and along with the others I work with we did not inherit a business are daddy built. We work very long hard days something a guy like you could not handle. So for you to come on here and pretend to be one of us and inject your skewed silver spoon in the mouth views is so transparent that your credibility is null. For you to arrive on the seen at xph and pretend to be something your not makes you stand out. Don't underestimate this. WE are honest hard working men and women that demand honesty and respect.
I've been away from the board for a while. I've noticed something. In this post, from November of last year, Sucker666's grammar and punctuation wasn't that good. His recent post are much better. It's like he was playing the part of a dumb trucker and has since dropped the act. I wonder what's going on here?

I've been away from the board for a while. I've noticed something. In this post, from November of last year, Sucker666's grammar and punctuation wasn't that good. His recent post are much better. It's like he was playing the part of a dumb trucker and has since dropped the act. I wonder what's going on here?
Thank you for the compliment. I am paying more attention to my grammar but it's far from perfect. The dumb trucker thing I'll let ride because it's not worthy of a response.

Last edited:
The Con-way pension is locked away. You'll receive 1/3 your original entitled benefit for 60 months after you qualify. This isn't going to change. It's the cheapest way out for the company. Any unclaimed money is returned to the company.

You need to research that old Con-way money. You seem confused on it. There are no outside factors. It's boarded up and a dead deal.
I'm confused about The 1/3 of Pension you are referring to. My understanding is that you will draw what your total compensation package statement says if you meet the rule of 85 or you have 20 years of service and reach the age of 62. I have verified that with the Benefits Office a couple of years ago. Things could change but that is the last information I had on it. I still wonder if I would be better off to get my pension payment started or trying to wait until age 62 to get the full amount ??? It's a gamble either way.

According to the plan documentation, it's still a 401k- which means it's still my money that will stay with me if I leave the company. The company has nothing to do with the management of the account and they don't control my personal contributions or how I allocate them.

A while back, some of the individual funds changed to trusts- it was a minor administrative change. The plan is still a regular old 401k retirement fund. The plan description is still on the portal for any of us to look at. I think someone got confused about what trust funds are and spread some rumors.

That's true, but who says I want to be? The stocks that have been picked for my account funds have given me a good return- I'm not going to pretend I can outsmart professional investors in the market.

This sounds like another misunderstanding. I read the pension plan summary, too, and it explicitly states that all options pay benefits to the employee until you die. The benefits can change for your beneficiary depending on the distribution you pick, and certain options can reduce your payout, but nothing in that document says you stop receiving your pension after 60 months.

All I can say is that things have been explained to me differently. I don't want to argue.

Actually around here they are struggling. Their rigid standards and work restrictions have guys looking elsewhere first. For a young man, it's a great gig. A bunch of us ain't that young any more.

I think in this instance he was referring to " feeder drivers ". Pulling sets from hub to hub full packages.

I'm confused about The 1/3 of Pension you are referring to. My understanding is that you will draw what your total compensation package statement says if you meet the rule of 85 or you have 20 years of service and reach the age of 62. I have verified that with the Benefits Office a couple of years ago. Things could change but that is the last information I had on it. I still wonder if I would be better off to get my pension payment started or trying to wait until age 62 to get the full amount ??? It's a gamble either way.

Things have changed so much. The way it was explained to us. Your original benefit was reduced to 1/3. So your new number is the number. I know guys who will be getting single digits a month. And then they told us that it was now a 60 month benefit. And we have guys still working because they went to retire and were given the information as far as what they would be paid should they retire and they realized that they are to " young " and can't afford not to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.