XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read an article based on the proposal of outsourced humane resources instead of union representation ( I know i'm supposed to be the union or nothing guy ) I think it has some merit for consideration as an alternative.
It proposes that the company and employees hire an outside human resource company . The cost for paying the hr company would be paid half by the company and half by employees through a weekly deduction. The hr company would be hired by company officials and an elected (by employees ) not hand picked by the company and the terms of agreement be overseen by both parties.
The hr company would be responsible for all aspects of Hr and base its decisions in fairness to both parties Including overseeing COLA, discipline(including arbitration if needed ) healthcare premiums and coverage... and so on.
I think it has merit . What do you think ?

If a company feels it wants fairness then it shouldn't have a problem with this . The company would save a large amount of money by not having to pay persuaders, union busters and labor lawyers as they currently doing so across the country.
Mr. Jacobs says "he doesn't have a problems with unions just the Teamsters" than this may be a good alternative to consider.
Employees that do not trust or want a union but realize things are not going in a good direction for us this may be an agreeable alternative.

Last edited:
I recently read an article based on the proposal of outsourced humane resources instead of union representation ( I know i'm supposed to be the union or nothing guy ) I think it has some merit for consideration as an alternative.
It proposes that the company and employees hire an outside human resource company . The cost for paying the hr company would be paid half by the company and half by employees through a weekly deduction. The hr company would be hired by company officials and an elected (by employees ) not hand picked by the company and the terms of agreement be overseen by both parties.
The hr company would be responsible for all aspects of Hr and base its decisions in fairness to both parties Including overseeing COLA, discipline(including arbitration if needed ) healthcare premiums and coverage... and so on.
I think it has merit . What do you think ?

If a company feels it wants fairness then it shouldn't have a problem with this .
Sounds good. Emphasis on SOUNDS. If you gave truth serum to an HR person they would admit that their responsibility is to the company. Preventing exposure legally. Keeping the workforce compliant with company policies and goals.

To that end , HR will listen to a problem and act according to what's best for the company and inline with it's goals and policies. And don't forget the legal department - the "man behind the curtain" so to speak.

Fairness is the very last thing you will ever see in corporate America. In fact , you will see the opposite now , and for a long time into the future. It seems naive to think otherwise.

One can dream though. Hope springs eternal.

Sounds good. Emphasis on SOUNDS. If you gave truth serum to an HR person they would admit that their responsibility is to the company. Preventing exposure legally. Keeping the workforce compliant with company policies and goals.

To that end , HR will listen to a problem and act according to what's best for the company and inline with it's goals and policies. And don't forget the legal department - the "man behind the curtain" so to speak.

Fairness is the very last thing you will ever see in corporate America. In fact , you will see the opposite now , and for a long time into the future. It seems naive to think otherwise.

One can dream though. Hope springs eternal.
HR would still have to follow the law but would not solely be a tool of the company. I’m merley putting forth an alternative to current situation that I have been reading up on . I’m sure there is things that would have to be worked out in detail.
Current HR is a puppet of the executive team and nothing more. They follow corporate order and State and federal law ( sometimes) .

O2bw5mi.jpg
Then we have this. We had a water fountain that gave out brown water. It was from the 40's. We asked to get it replaced we we're told. That the fountain was fine and it didn't need to be replaced.
But we got a new one and it even has hot water.
5J5GUYz.jpg
The lunch room was a table , chairs, leaky refrigerator, and a microwave.
But then wham!!! New Cabinets sick installed. The refrigerator was replaced because i had a long talk with the service center manager and he was nice enough to replace the leaky refrigerator.
hGF7Jdv.jpg

That's it???? Were the slushy machine, Popcorn machine, Gas grill? Hell you only have one microwave and that small coffee pot and were the sneeze guard on the hot dog machine.

That's it???? Were the slushy machine, Popcorn machine, Gas grill? Hell you only have one microwave and that small coffee pot and were the sneeze guard on the hot dog machine.

These guys got it real good. I was happy when they added a door to the pooper years ago.

QUOTE="Stand4afuture, post: 1207574, member: 38823"]Damn right it is.
But most of this guy's in here will tell you it's because the company cares and love's it's employees. The company doesn't need or feel pressure.

O9uL4ED.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Try boiling that, it will make a real good sammich.

I think unionization efforts should focus on what is stated here: The idea that the workers want to hurt the company they work for is ridiculous. They have a robust incentive to make the workplace better. Their success is tied to the success of the company.

I don't believe that all of the people who want to install the union at XPO want to hurt the company, although I do think some are on the team out of spite. Most just want the things that they feel they deserve and they see the union as the path to get there. And why not, right? It sounds so easy.

Most of us have a much different opinion. At the media company in the article, 25 out of 27 people felt so strongly that organizing was necessary that they voted yes. At XPO, it's less than one person out of 27. It's a waste of time and money- we don't want it.

Either way, the motivation doesn't matter. The question is can you get what you want with a union contract at XPO- and you can't.

I don't believe that all of the people who want to install the union at XPO want to hurt the company, although I do think some are on the team out of spite. Most just want the things that they feel they deserve and they see the union as the path to get there. And why not, right? It sounds so easy.

Most of us have a much different opinion. At the media company in the article, 25 out of 27 people felt so strongly that organizing was necessary that they voted yes. At XPO, it's less than one person out of 27. It's a waste of time and money- we don't want it.

Either way, the motivation doesn't matter. The question is can you get what you want with a union contract at XPO- and you can't.
I agree some will do it out of spite .. due to broken promises albeit wrong motivation but others will Pursue for the right reasons.

I recently read an article based on the proposal of outsourced humane resources instead of union representation... It proposes that the company and employees hire an outside human resource company.

It sounds like a wolf hiding in a different sheep's carcass- there doesn't seem to be that much difference between your outsourced HR and a labor union.

The cost for paying the hr company would be paid half by the company and half by employees through a weekly deduction.

I'm not paying for that.

The company would save a large amount of money by not having to pay persuaders, union busters and labor lawyers as they currently doing so across the country.

You know what else would save that money? If all of you union guys would quit or retire. You lost the war 3 years ago.

It sounds like a wolf hiding in a different sheep's carcass- there doesn't seem to be that much difference between your outsourced HR and a labor union.

I'm not paying for that.

You know what else would save that money? If all of you union guys would quit or retire. You lost the war 3 years ago.
Be nice now Gene . It was an idea as an alternative. That’s all . You don’t have to like it and it’s not going to happen here with the greedy nature of this company . Nobody’s going anywhere.

Deregulation was definitely a big downfall for the industry and driver compensation. Agreed

Yeah, because it was carried on the backs of artificially inflated freight rates in the land before just-in-time delivery.

I'm sure you'd turn down a tax reduction so that those public sector employees that still enjoy that bottomless cookie jar wouldn't have to live like the rest of us out here in the private sector, right? Let's try not to shed too many tears over deregulation.

Yeah, because it was carried on the backs of artificially inflated freight rates in the land before just-in-time delivery.

I'm sure you'd turn down a tax reduction so that those public sector employees that still enjoy that bottomless cookie jar would have to live like the rest of us out here in the private sector, right? Let's try not to shed too many tears over deregulation.
Well have to agree to disagree on that point. I personally have no problem with public sector workers making a good living or getting a pension even if it means my taxes are a bit higher. That’s just me.

Deregulation was definitely a big downfall for the industry and driver compensation. Agreed

I'm sure you'd turn down a tax reduction so that those public sector employees that still enjoy that bottomless cookie jar wouldn't have to live like the rest of us out here in the private sector, right? Let's try not to shed too many tears over deregulation.
Just think how much products in the stores would cost if deregulation didn't happen? I know we could all name trucking companies that would not be here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.