XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, people.I usually don't come to this posting boards because I'm afraid that management will find out who I am( longest tech) or what location I'm at(UOA).
Just in case any one missed my info from other post.
But just wanted to say . Yeah it's funny how the guy's in the shop who turned down the union . who didn't do ::shit:: all day except kiss up to the shop manager.
Are going to work for union job's.
You ask why. Well because they're making 10 dollars more than a non union shop. Funny how that work's out.
But of course there's been so much going on in the western section that management is wondering what their going to do.

I see. How do those afford who voted no feel about things now?
There's no "open" us vs them mentallity that I see . I know there some that were not happy about not getting their pay raises . I suspect there may even be a couple working with the company to stage a decert at some point but that's their right. I can honest say their is only one driver that I know of that is openly opposed .

The other thing. It's funny how you'll talk ::shit:: about the Teamster's. But non of you have brought up the point that. They're out fighting for the working people with Bernie Sanders. Specially they're trying to protect driver's of all class.
Why hasn't anyone talked about what it takes and it cost tem to be out there fighting for a better future?
I'll ask this again..
What have any of you done to make this industry better?

I will take a stab at this.

The is no completed contract at this point so company's rules apply and still apply after a contract unless it is a stipulated work rule spelled out in a contract. The only difference right now would be disapline such as the new program the company is rolling out on damages and accountability this does not apply to unionzed locations because it a change of status quo on policy.

If your referring to time calculated as to how it apply to a pension there is none carried. You can only earn pension time if their is one in place. There is no blanket pension for all Teamster. Also we are paying no dues until a contract is put in place so there no credit there.

Yes , the people who are against the union will receive all the benifits from our efforts. Example ; The drivers who did not support the union at our location still received back pay and full reinstatement of there wages from our settlement with company through the labor board . The union does not and can not be selective as to who benefits from gains.

I think sucker is accurate. The contract applies to the specific terminal at which it was negotiated. It mostly addresses compensation and disciplinary policy. For example, if a line haul driver travels to another terminal and receives discipline for any reason, he is still entitled to a grievance and arbitration process as outlined in his contract. He can't be fired "at will". I believe that work rules apply wherever one travels. All I can add is that if you are in a right to work state, ALL employees, whether or not they pay their dues , receive all the benefits and protections of the union contract. Certainly not fair, but legal. It's the equivalent of being invited to a barbeque and showing up empty handed.

I think sucker is accurate. The contract applies to the specific terminal at which it was negotiated. It mostly addresses compensation and disciplinary policy. For example, if a line haul driver travels to another terminal and receives discipline for any reason, he is still entitled to a grievance and arbitration process as outlined in his contract. He can't be fired "at will". I believe that work rules apply wherever one travels. All I can add is that if you are in a right to work state, ALL employees, whether or not they pay their dues , receive all the benefits and protections of the union contract. Certainly not fair, but legal. It's the equivalent of being invited to a barbeque and showing up empty handed.
Thank you both for explaining things logically. It’s appreciated. I’m ignoring standforafuture.

I will say this. After deregulation around 1980, all of us began to be conditioned to the "New Market". It became all about cost, and service to the customer , although still important, took a back seat. Wages and compensation packages stagnated because these companies still wanted to maintain the profit margins they enjoyed prior to deregulation. Somehow, we were lulled into the concept that what we got was all we could get. Fast forward to the present time, Profits are at record highs and productivity is soaring. This applies to both union and non union companies alike. The problem, at least as I see it, is that companies now look at next quarter results instead of long term viability. The people like us, who actually do the work have become second fiddle to CEO salaries and bonuses, stock prices, dividends to shareholders and outright greed. I just want all of us to be invited to the party instead of standing out by the dumpster waiting for the scraps.

Thank you both for explaining things logically. It’s appreciated. I’m ignoring standforafuture.
Thank you , upnorth. Specifically , what I was trying to understand is - will those that did nothing , and/or were not involved in trying to unionize ( or may be against unionization ) benefit if unionization is successful?

Regardless of the state they may be in , can a person at one of the pending union terminals ( once a deal is finalized and ratified ) just say "I'm in" and BOOM!!! - like that , you've added a new member and they did nothing to help you accomplish your victory?

I'm guessing , the answer is you will accept then just like that ( even though they did not help because you want to grow your numbers )

I will say this. After deregulation around 1980, all of us began to be conditioned to the "New Market". It became all about cost, and service to the customer , although still important, took a back seat. Wages and compensation packages stagnated because these companies still wanted to maintain the profit margins they enjoyed prior to deregulation. Somehow, we were lulled into the concept that what we got was all we could get. Fast forward to the present time, Profits are at record highs and productivity is soaring. This applies to both union and non union companies alike. The problem, at least as I see it, is that companies now look at next quarter results instead of long term viability. The people like us, who actually do the work have become second fiddle to CEO salaries and bonuses, stock prices, dividends to shareholders and outright greed. I just want all of us to be invited to the party instead of standing out by the dumpster waiting for the scraps.
Amen

If , IF unionization is successful and you adapt it to XPO in the way you are describing as Teamsters , this would pressure them to change a lot of what happens at the NMFA companies right?

You won't be in a pension , right?

You won't have all of the different job classifications , right?

And ( this will be scary to the other big non-union LTL's ) you will be operating in a predominantly non-union environment as union members ( if successful )

I would think the Teamsters would put everything they have into making you succeed ( just for business purposes ) Do you think you are getting the total and complete support of the IBT on a national level?

Do you see how your possible success could conflict with the preexisting union freight companies?

Thank you , upnorth. Specifically , what I was trying to understand is - will those that did nothing , and/or were not involved in trying to unionize ( or may be against unionization ) benefit if unionization is successful?

Regardless of the state they may be in , can a person at one of the pending union terminals ( once a deal is finalized and ratified ) just say "I'm in" and BOOM!!! - like that , you've added a new member and they did nothing to help you accomplish your victory?

I'm guessing , the answer is you will accept then just like that ( even though they did not help because you want to grow your numbers )
Without a doubt.

If , IF unionization is successful and you adapt it to XPO in the way you are describing as Teamsters , this would pressure them to change a lot of what happens at the NMFA companies right?
I think that would be a slow change but there already is already movement there. I can't say with certainty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.