XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, your attempt to twist my meaning is futile. The quote I responded to mentioned wages. There is so much more to this than just wages. The entire compensation package must be considered. In addition, the entire language and policy package is equally important. Teamsters raise the bar for everyone else, including non union shops because they raise the bar. A non union shop will typically remain close to union wage for the specific reason of keeping the union out. If the ultimate plan to destroy all unions succeeds, who will set the bar then? The companies will and then you will truly witness the race to the bottom. What happens when Amazon buys us out? Will we all get applications to reapply for our own damn jobs at 21.00 per hour. Or will they graciously raise our wages to 35.00 per hour? I'm betting on the former.
Due to the nature of how LTL used to be ( required several years of experience and you had to know someone to get a shot at a job ) most of the older drivers have worked at a union job. Most have YEARS of experience in the workforce and have seen ups and downs.

I get the impression from your posts that you truly mean well. Trying to win potential union members over by pointing to what may happen ( in your example Amazon ) is not as messed up as having Hoffa Jr. impose supplements that union members continually voted no on - effectively taking away their voice...IN A UNION. And it's happened more than once.

What in the world do you do when your leadership gives away your advantage before the company even asks for anything? This is demoralizing just reading this.

If you have caught up on the regular posters you'll find many of the regulars agree with a pro-driver , better benefits and working environment stance. Convincing people based on things in common always seemed like a better way along with openness and honesty ( as much as you can be online )

You and high speeds are trying to compare XPO financial situation to YRC. How can a YRCW road driver as myself make the same or higher than
Most XPO road driver at a 15% reduction in pay? Reminder I don’t run 600+ miles a night either I average 500-550 a night.

2.UPSF is at .72 cpm free healthcare
ABF will be at .67 cpm free healthcare
There’s your bar climb up and get there
You seem to know what the competition pays, what's you mileage pay rate?

Multiemployer pension a ‘ticking time bomb’ for Teamsters’ trucking retirees

"The U.S. Chamber has estimated multiemployer plans contributed more than $2.3 trillion to the U.S. economy in 2015, the last full year for which records are available.

The multiemployer pension plans of 1.5 million workers and retirees nationwide are facing shortfalls and are at risk of insolvency in the coming decade. Multiemployer plans are at risk because there are about four retirees pulling benefits for every active worker. There are only about 80,000 unionized workers, mostly Teamsters, in the heavy freight sector of the trucking industry. Their dues are supporting perhaps as many as 350,000 unionized retirees, many in trucking industry. (UPS Teamsters, which number about 260,000, are in separate pension plans).

The Teamsters Central States pension plan is the largest multiemployer plan in the nation. Sen. Brown said there are “more than 100” multiemployer plans at risk, threatening tens of thousands of workers and businesses around the nation.

The Central States plan is forecast to become bankrupt sometime in the next decade. Central States receives contributions from just 54,698 active workers to pay out benefits to 214,243 retirees—a ratio of 1 active to 4 retirees vs. the 4 actives to 1 retiree ratio in 1980."

- Logistics Management.com
That’s not a YRCW problem. Granted there not helping as they should. You have to understand how many companies was paying into to the fund that is no longer in business.

That was Xpo's choice to withhold those wages not the unions. The only reason they did it was to disuade the drivers in hopes of gaining support for a decert.

Freezing compensation during collective bargaining is not their choice, it's the law. The union got over on the company by claiming that, despite their loudly proclaimed intention to bargain for annual raises, they have been getting regular raises since at least 2011. But sure, the company is playing dirty. Details matter.

However, without representation, you have no venue to demand a wage increase. You simply get what they choose to give.

You and I both have the same influence in demanding a raise. You just feel better about it because you have your little club and another layer of important-sounding bureaucracy. Ultimately, we both get what they choose to give, and they value me a lot more than they value you.

Accordingly, in Graphic Communications International Union Local 508 v. NLRB, 977 F.2d 1168 (7th Cir. 1992), the court held that an employer was not required to disclose financial information unless it had asserted specifically that it was unable to pay a requested wage increase; an employer's claim that a wage increase would lead to competitive disadvantage did not require it to disclose wage information

Surely you can see the workaround here. I know they know it, because I've heard it very specifically every single time compensation has been discussed since the days of Con-way.

All I can add is that if you are in a right to work state, ALL employees, whether or not they pay their dues , receive all the benefits and protections of the union contract. Certainly not fair, but legal. It's the equivalent of being invited to a barbeque and showing up empty handed.

Not quite. It's more like being dragged against your will to a barbecue you never wanted to attend. Why would someone contribute to a hostile takeover? Freeloading is the price of subjecting me to your nonstop soap opera.

After deregulation around 1980, all of us began to be conditioned to the "New Market". It became all about cost, and service to the customer , although still important, took a back seat.

Yeah, but that shift in priorities was dictated by the customer, not the corporations. You can lament it all you want, but it's not coming back. Big legacy companies giving the house away in pay and benefits on the backs of the consumer is a dinosaur that is fading fast, and this isn't Jurassic Park.

The people like us, who actually do the work have become second fiddle to CEO salaries and bonuses, stock prices, dividends to shareholders and outright greed.

We always have been, always will be. Labor is a commodity- a line item on a P and L for CEOs to complain about. No union will change that. Do you think the CEO of UPS or YRC really loves and respects their drivers and considers them peers?

My dad earned a very good living and when he retired, he enjoyed a quality of life provided by his pension and social security. That was the norm back then. CEO's earned 10 or 20 times the median salary of their employees. Now, they earn between 700 to 2000 times their employees median wage. Health care was a part of most compensation packages and union shops were nearly 40% of the work force. The middle class was strong and vibrant and the economy was booming. What the F#$K HAPPENED!

The government happened, basically. We've had a long run of leadership that is in it for the CEOs, not the middle class, and a population consistently willing to vote against their own self-interest. Believing in BS like trickle-down economics and people being on welfare or not climbing the class ladder just because they're lazy. Until that pendulum swings back, it won't get better. Hopefully the current top moron in office hastens the swing- it'll be the only good thing he does for this country.

I don't disagree with you or Sucker about the problem, really. It's the solution that we disagree on.

If this logic is followed then how would wages ever increase? If all companies packages are equal then why would one ever increase? What causes wages to go up?

It's a huge decision by any company. They have to balance what will keep the people they have, what will attract new people, how much money they need for expansion, what do the shareholders want, what is the economy/ regulatory environment going to be in the future, etc.

The union just looks at the profit and says, "My, that is a large number. I deserve more of that, guaranteed, for the next 5 years." That's not a smart way to run a business.

How about the job security offered by the grievance and arbitration process.

Good employees don't get fired, and no one is fired for "nothing". The people afraid of being an at-will employee should maybe ask themselves why anyone would want to get rid of them. They're just trying to scare you- like the goons that wanna "protect" your store. Especially in this market, you've really gotta work to get canned.

The Teamsters raise the bar where ever they are.

Good god, man, you sound like a bumper sticker. They're really not that great. They were once, but now they're just your old angry uncle, telling football stories and bringing up politics at Thanksgiving.

Because most of the other barns succumbed to the union busters lies and voted no.

Because there's just no way that those barns had a large number of intelligent, thoughtful, rational people that weighed the options and voted for the status quo. No one is getting their info from one source.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys really understand how insulting that is to a lot of people- many of whom haven't even had to vote yet.

Logistics Management said:
The Teamsters Central States pension plan is the largest multiemployer plan in the nation. Sen. Brown said there are “more than 100” multiemployer plans at risk, threatening tens of thousands of workers and businesses around the nation.

Where are all the guys that always ask, "Why do you bring up CSPF? There are many different funds." It looks like many of them are doing just as well as Central States.

That’s not a YRCW problem. Granted there not helping as they should. You have to understand how many companies was paying into to the fund that is no longer in business.
Troubleman , with all due respect , this article points to how a collapse of multi employer pension funds ( the CSPF being the largest ) could hurt many , MANY people...beyond those that it covers.

"The Teamsters Central States pension plan is the largest multiemployer plan in the nation."

- And it's in trouble...

"threatening tens of thousands of workers and businesses around the nation."

"Since deregulation in 1980, there have been more than 500 Teamsters-covered trucking companies close, fail or go out of business. That has left just a handful of unionized LTL carriers often supporting tens of thousands of retirees who never actually worked for the surviving companies."

I've posted the link before. Read the entire article ( if you have not ) The article makes a good case for the government intervening and trying to prevent a big problem from turning into a catastrophic failure of a tragedy. The article mentions a rough figure of how many companies no longer contribute.

With all that said , the pending collapse of the CSPF and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp ( the government entity charged with protecting pensions, is woefully underfunded. The PBGC currently has $67 billion in liabilities, with just $2 billion in assets ) ... How is this NOT a YRCW problem? A problem SOOOO big that United States Congressional intervention is most likely required to just begin fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.