XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they are better employees than you, but just need to vent once in a while... Did you ever ask them what they're thinking?

I don't have to- they never shut up.

And if they get you something, will you refuse it? If so, by all means then, skip the dues.

I'll take everything I am legally entitled to and pay no more than I am legally obligated to. That's the cost of dragging me along.

The increases have not been kept manageable? What company do you work for?

Same one you do- isn't it interesting how perception can be so different in different areas with different people?

It's 2 strikes. Look on your bulletin board.

I did. It's one strike. I don't know what you're looking at.

You've said that more than once, and then you say this:

So which one is it?

Also, you never answered how the three policy changes you mentioned earlier (2017 PTO change, new cell phone policy, and social media policy) make money for the company at our expense.

Can you just admit you may have been throwing out just a little bit of hyperbole instead of facts?

Allow me to rephrase...Every policy change is beneficial to the company. Many of those policy changes benefit the company financially at our expense. 2017 PTO accrual reduction adds approximately 450.00 per year per affected employee to their profit. Other changes relating to discipline allow them the flexibility to replace senior drivers with new recruits, thereby reducing their costs in wages, vacation time, PTO time etc.

I don't have to- they never shut up.

I'll take everything I am legally entitled to and pay no more than I am legally obligated to. That's the cost of dragging me along.

Same one you do- isn't it interesting how perception can be so different in different areas with different people?

I did. It's one strike. I don't know what you're looking at.
It's 6 wins and 15 losses. I looked it up.

Just kidding, it's 16 losses. It seems that Erie withdrew their petition a few weeks ago. Must be those union busters again.

I'll take your word on this. Just curious as to where you found this information. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Allow me to rephrase...Every policy change is beneficial to the company. Many of those policy changes benefit the company financially at our expense. 2017 PTO accrual reduction adds approximately 450.00 per year per affected employee to their profit. Other changes relating to discipline allow them the flexibility to replace senior drivers with new recruits, thereby reducing their costs in wages, vacation time, PTO time etc.
Well said, there is no gain or betterment for drivers no matter how you look at it . It's a take and stricker rules will result in higher turnover . A little take here and there over time adds up to big reductions without the backlash.

Depending on your location there may be a service fee{ usually a penny less than dues), you won't have to join and don't expect much from your shop steward, that would be your cost for being drug along.

I love how all that talk about preventing company discretion in applying the rules goes right out the window if you're not a fan of the union. If you install yourself as my representative, against my will, you're saying a steward can arbitrarily deny me that representation? Then what's the point of all this?

That's not what I said at all, you will get the representation you deserve.

And is that equal to or less than what the strongest supporters (strongest ideologically or financially) would receive?

Because if it's anything less, then you're a bunch of hypocrites. Either you want every employee to be treated equally or you don't.

Well yeah, that makes sense.

The NLRB website. Not neatly compiled like that, of course, but the information is public.
And is that equal to or less than what the strongest supporters (strongest ideologically or financially) would receive?

Because if it's anything less, then you're a bunch of hypocrites. Either you want every employee to be treated equally or you don't.

This is pretty straight forward. "Right to Work" law states that every member of the bargaining unit is entitled to equal representation. If I am your representative"against your will", I am unable to respect your will and decline to represent you...by law. If representation is against your will, then intervention should be against your will, as well. Unfortunately, a shop steward can't honor your will and is forced to represent you. So, the only thing that's hypocritical here is an employee disparaging the benefits of union representation, yet, expecting those benefits without contributing to the process. Personally, if I were fortunate enough to be chosen shop steward, any member of the bargaining unit who was participating "against their will" and refusing to contribute to the process would receive equal representation ...eventually. In the "coming empty handed to the barbeque" analogy, which has failed to install any guilt in you, I would argue any self respecting individual would run out immediately to buy a case of beer to avoid being considered a free loader. Because, that's exactly what he would be.

The HOPE is every policy change is beneficial to the company.

The reality is completely different. Seeking immediate improvement to the bottom line by sacrificing the long term stability and viability of the company is not smart. ( it looks smart from a distance )

Maintenance of tractors and trailers , upkeep and maintenance of facilities , keeping benefits and pay competitive , recruiting younger workers to replace and aging overworked group ( robot tractors are not even close to ready ) ...When you pull money out of all these fundamentals and essentials it cripples you in the long term and will make the cost of doing business skyrocket in the future.

In the "coming empty handed to the barbeque" analogy, which has failed to install any guilt in you, I would argue any self respecting individual would run out immediately to buy a case of beer to avoid being considered a free loader. Because, that's exactly what he would be.

That's really not a very good analogy. I'm being invited, and I'm refusing. If I go, it's because I'm being tied up, thrown in the trunk and taken to the barbeque hosted by people I don't like, and then not being allowed to leave for 5 years. I think it's unreasonable to expect me to be thankful, much less contribute anything extra to the party. I've got nothing to be guilty about.

Again Gene not what I said at all, you can twist any way you want.

That’s the way your post sounded. Can you explain further how it works? If you pay a penny less in dues, what representation do you get?

if you don't want representation why would you need it? if you are filing frivolous grievances you or anybody will get the representation you deserve along with a bullseye on your back from management.

if you don't want representation why would you need it? if you are filing frivolous grievances you or anybody will get the representation you deserve along with a bullseye on your back from management.
Following that logic, why should I be forced into paying dues if I want nothing to do with the union? ( hypothetical situation)

Following that logic, why should I be forced into paying dues if I want nothing to do with the union? ( hypothetical situation)
Well as it's been said before majority rules. and if you are in an rtw state and opt out why should you expect representation? not all locations charge a service fee and you are not paying dues, you are paying a service fee, you have to be a member to pay dues.

Well as it's been said before majority rules. and if you are in an rtw state and opt out why should you expect representation? not all locations charge a service fee and you are not paying dues, you are paying a service fee, you have to be a member to pay dues.
Ahhh. Makes sense. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.