XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The HOPE is every policy change is beneficial to the company.

The reality is completely different. Seeking immediate improvement to the bottom line by sacrificing the long term stability and viability of the company is not smart. ( it looks smart from a distance )

Maintenance of tractors and trailers , upkeep and maintenance of facilities , keeping benefits and pay competitive , recruiting younger workers to replace and aging overworked group ( robot tractors are not even close to ready ) ...When you pull money out of all these fundamentals and essentials it cripples you in the long term and will make the cost of doing business skyrocket in the future.

Completely agree. When any company is managed in the manner that XPO is being managed currently, it usually means a sale is in the works. Just my opinion.

That's really not a very good analogy. I'm being invited, and I'm refusing. If I go, it's because I'm being tied up, thrown in the trunk and taken to the barbeque hosted by people I don't like, and then not being allowed to leave for 5 years. I think it's unreasonable to expect me to be thankful, much less contribute anything extra to the party. I've got nothing to be guilty about.
Let me try to expand the analogy. If you're saying you will refuse any benefits realized from the contract, your point is understood. However, if you accept the benefits of the contract, and choose not to pay dues, you're a free loader.

Following that logic, why should I be forced into paying dues if I want nothing to do with the union? ( hypothetical situation)
You shouldn't be forced to pay dues...and you're not. But, if you don't want anything to do with the union, then you should decline any benefits gained in the contract. Otherwise, you're a free loader.

You shouldn't be forced to pay dues...and you're not. But, if you don't want anything to do with the union, then you should decline any benefits gained in the contract. Otherwise, you're a free loader.

I'm sure some would decline any benefits gained but they cannot ( based on the situation ) receiving benefits bargained and fought for by the union isn't something they can refuse and still be practical.

I'm sure some would decline any benefits gained but they cannot ( based on the situation ) receiving benefits bargained and fought for by the union isn't something they can refuse and still be practical.
Yeah, I get it. I'm just trying to point out that it's not fair to take advantage of the benefits without full participation...like paying dues. The most outspoken guys against the union have already approached me with issues that they wanted the union to address. And I did what I could .

Yeah, I get it. I'm just trying to point out that it's not fair to take advantage of the benefits without full participation...like paying dues. The most outspoken guys against the union have already approached me with issues that they wanted the union to address. And I did what I could .
If an employee chooses, can they work outside the union contract?

I don't know the answer to that. I will try to find out, but , in the meantime, maybe someone else can answer it.
Depends on the state (right to work)
If an employee chooses, can they work outside the union contract?
Depends if it’s a right to work state, but if they choose that path not to pay dues don’t expect the same representation from someone who is paying dues....

Depends if it’s a right to work state, but if they choose that path not to pay dues don’t expect the same representation from someone who is paying dues....
Not the question. Can they work outside the contract, or are they forced to work within the contract?

I am being told that in a right to work state, you are entitled to equal representation whether or not you pay dues to the union. In a non-right to work state, you can opt out and choose to relinquish the guarantees provided by the contract.

I am being told that in a right to work state, you are entitled to equal representation whether or not you pay dues to the union. In a non-right to work state, you can opt out and choose to relinquish the guarantees provided by the contract.
Thanks.

You are entitled to the same representation, but let’s no be nieve would you go out of your way? It’s just human nature

Sure thing. Here you go:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this. You love to tell everyone to stay informed and read through the website, then you question the people who are and have like they're performing witchcraft.

It seems like you have to make a freedom of information request to get what has actually been filed . Can you walk me through the steps of how you get the more detailed info you get ? Seems when I'm doing a search though all the Xpo pages ( which there many) it's a little vague in info to pull out who's won ,lose or withdraw. If you could post here some of your findings it would help.

I am not an xpo employee, but was wondering if employee A it's a dues paying member, employee B is not, if a contract is reached to include pension benefits money is paid into this fund on all employees regardless of weather they are members or not, is this correct ? If it is how does the non member collect the pension when he retired or does he get to since he has never paid dues. Again not an xpo employee, just a thought I had and was wondering about. Good luck to all of you.

You are entitled to the same representation, but let’s no be nieve would you go out of your way? It’s just human nature

This is all far more complicated than I thought. I am trying to get accurate information from several sources pertaining to the union -non union status. I will say this Joe's Bar, I am required by law to provide equal representation under the terms of the contract. I am not prohibited from offering any additional measures I might deem helpful to a dues paying member. The non member won't get that from me.

Most of a contract has to do with company policy, if you choose to work outside of the contract you would be breaking policy

Again, far more complex than I thought. In a "right to work" state, ALL employees enjoy the benefits of the contract, whether or not they pay the dues. This I am sure of. In a non "right to work" state, I believe the non union employee is subject to the company policy, even as it changes, outside the contract. For example, XPO changed the policy on electronic devices in the tractor to a two strike event. In Miami, our intention is to eliminate that discipline and revert to the original coaching event that it was when we certified. If we can get that in our contract, all union members will be coached without application of the two strikes. All non union members will receive the two strike penalty. If our contract states that PTO will accrue as it was before certification, all new union hires will NOT be subject to the new LOWER PTO accrual put in place on January 1, 2017 and going forward. Maybe it can be said that any policy affecting the terminal as a unit will apply to all. Those policies affecting individual behavior will be applied depending on your status as a union or non union member. This is an assumption on my part and I would welcome any factual information that might confirm or challenge the post.

Again, far more complex than I thought. In a "right to work" state, ALL employees enjoy the benefits of the contract, whether or not they pay the dues. This I am sure of. In a non "right to work" state, I believe the non union employee is subject to the company policy, even as it changes, outside the contract. For example, XPO changed the policy on electronic devices in the tractor to a two strike event. In Miami, our intention is to eliminate that discipline and revert to the original coaching event that it was when we certified. If we can get that in our contract, all union members will be coached without application of the two strikes. All non union members will receive the two strike penalty. If our contract states that PTO will accrue as it was before certification, all new union hires will NOT be subject to the new LOWER PTO accrual put in place on January 1, 2017 and going forward. Maybe it can be said that any policy affecting the terminal as a unit will apply to all. Those policies affecting individual behavior will be applied depending on your status as a union or non union member. This is an assumption on my part and I would welcome any factual information that might confirm or challenge the post.
If your job classification in in the bargaining unit you are subject the same work rules, you cannot have 2 sets of rules for the same job class.

Gene, may know the answer to that. He very knowlegble on this matter it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.