XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
unions in trucking will never defend your complaint

they tell you to put your withdrawal card in first....this way you are not in their hair

don't forget though.....you pay your dues so they say this to you when you actually need them

In my opinion , a sale of LTL unit would happen with unionization or not. Hell , there is an obnoxious amount of money spent on fighting unionization and keeping the union out: the same union that some argue is weak and full of corruption.

Why should Bradley Jacobs be worried about unionization? Facts have shown that if unionized , you can give lower raises , use older equipment , not pay into pensions at full rate , and ask for and receive give backs. Just get close to union leadership and you can do all of the anti-little guy stuff you like.

Unions do have work rules and protections not available to non-union employees so there is that , but I would think Bradley Jacobs could live with that if it meant shutting up drivers.
If I could like this post 100 times it still wouldn’t be enough

I would argue that we were more unified that you might have heard. How would you explain that "poorly unified" drivers achieved the results they wanted within the week.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read that only half the drivers participated in the walk out.

Why are so many families barely making their payments??? Not because of these so call evil companies. Most do it to themselves by the use of one object. It's call a pen. They sign there way into deep debt. I going to correct you by saying most families could not write a $1000.00 check to cover an unexpected expense.
Stop using credit cards. Pay cash and save for what you want. You will be surprised on how much money you will have when you stop paying on CC and auto loans.

“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.” Dave Ramsey

I'm listing my monthly personal expenses, living in a small, 1100 square house in Miami.
Mortgage - 1500.00
Property Taxes - 200.00
Homeowners Insurance - 400.00
Food - 800.00
Auto Payment - 360.00
Auto Insurance (2 cars) - 250.00
Electric - 300.00
Water and Sewer - 100.00
Cellphone (2) - 120.00
Pet Care - 60.00
Medicare Advantage (2) - 268.00
Internet and Cable TV - 195.00
Gas - 100.00
Prescriptions - 90.00

That's 4743.00 per month on permanent recurring expenses. It does not include entertainment (dinner and a movie, an occasional concert, scuba diving, home repair, automotive repair, clothing, shoes and a dozen other expenses that pop up at any given moment. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY EXPENSES FOR CHILDREN, AS MINE ARE GROWN AND ON THEIR OWN. For those who have children living at home, add their food, school, clothing, after school activities and for working moms...child care. I'll accept your correction on the 1000.00 check. My wife and I spend 57K per year on permanent recurring expenses. Add another 8K on the items I mentioned above. Got 2 kids...add another 6K! A weeks vacation at Disney could cost up to 5K. So, roughly speaking, a family of 4 needs to TAKE HOME 71K to break even. My numbers may be off some, but Dave Ramsey ain't talking to me. His ideas and his advice are sound for people making just a bit more than most of us. Well, unless your Line Haul. Then, you may have savings, but you have no life. I'm sure I could cut back on some things, but what would I have to look forward to.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read that only half the drivers participated in the walk out.

You are correct. Half of the city drivers were on the line, along with 5 dock workers who, in all fairness, came out after their shift. A few banged in and a one or two more showed up and went home. Some guys had legitimate reasons why they chose not to participate and we accepted that. As one might expect, after the raises were reinstated and the back pay approved, our barn is now about 85% pro union. It doesn't take 100% and no one will ever get that. You would be amazed at what even 51% can do. Freight was embargoed and there was disruption throughout the system. Personally, I regret having to take that action. As I have stated before, our intention is not to harm the company or impair it's ability to compete in this market. It was and is the only tool we have to get their attention. So far, so good.

You are correct. Half of the city drivers were on the line, along with 5 dock workers who, in all fairness, came out after their shift. A few banged in and a one or two more showed up and went home. Some guys had legitimate reasons why they chose not to participate and we accepted that. As one might expect, after the raises were reinstated and the back pay approved, our barn is now about 85% pro union. It doesn't take 100% and no one will ever get that. You would be amazed at what even 51% can do. Freight was embargoed and there was disruption throughout the system. Personally, I regret having to take that action. As I have stated before, our intention is not to harm the company or impair it's ability to compete in this market. It was and is the only tool we have to get their attention. So far, so good.
I wonder if anyone else feels it was the company's intent to harm you guys when they witheld your raises, I sure do.

I'm listing my monthly personal expenses, living in a small, 1100 square house in Miami.
Mortgage - 1500.00
Property Taxes - 200.00
Homeowners Insurance - 400.00
Food - 800.00
Auto Payment - 360.00
Auto Insurance (2 cars) - 250.00
Electric - 300.00
Water and Sewer - 100.00
Cellphone (2) - 120.00
Pet Care - 60.00
Medicare Advantage (2) - 268.00
Internet and Cable TV - 195.00
Gas - 100.00
Prescriptions - 90.00

That's 4743.00 per month on permanent recurring expenses. It does not include entertainment (dinner and a movie, an occasional concert, scuba diving, home repair, automotive repair, clothing, shoes and a dozen other expenses that pop up at any given moment. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY EXPENSES FOR CHILDREN, AS MINE ARE GROWN AND ON THEIR OWN. For those who have children living at home, add their food, school, clothing, after school activities and for working moms...child care. I'll accept your correction on the 1000.00 check. My wife and I spend 57K per year on permanent recurring expenses. Add another 8K on the items I mentioned above. Got 2 kids...add another 6K! A weeks vacation at Disney could cost up to 5K. So, roughly speaking, a family of 4 needs to TAKE HOME 71K to break even. My numbers may be off some, but Dave Ramsey ain't talking to me. His ideas and his advice are sound for people making just a bit more than most of us. Well, unless your Line Haul. Then, you may have savings, but you have no life. I'm sure I could cut back on some things, but what would I have to look forward to.
Respectfully, you choose to live in an area with an extremely high cost of living. If that’s where you choose to live, then you deal with the expenses.

Respectfully, you choose to live in an area with an extremely high cost of living. If that’s where you choose to live, then you deal with the expenses.
Are you suggesting to anyone working at a terminal located in an area with a high cost of living, to simply pack up and transfer to an area with a terminal, with a low cost living?

There are many more of us living in places with an equally high cost of living. It seemed to me that the post implied that the path to a decent retirement was simply to save more money. I just wanted to point out that it's not usually that easy to do. There are some who could make better choices but many have no choice at all. Maybe I just read too much into it. Companies used to have a social conscience and cared about their employees. No longer the case.

If you can’t make ends meet, what choice do you have?

The choice is to support organizations and politicians who support labor. There are solutions to these problems that will never be implemented by the companies who create them. We are overworked and underpaid. CEO's and executive management deserve their fair share as well. They worked for it. But no one man should be able to amass a 2.3 billion dollar personal fortune while the people who actually do the work remain in difficult financial situations.

Sounds like we agree. Guys will support you when it’s going well and jump ship when it isn’t. That’s the difference between team me and team we.

Sounds like we agree. Guys will support you when it’s going well and jump ship when it isn’t. That’s the difference between team me and team we.

All I can say is we had more "we" than "me" right from the beginning. The company and the union busters turned many with their lies and misrepresentations. Hence, the multitude of ULP charges, some resolved and some still pending. The "me's" become "we's" when they understand what can be accomplished when we stand together. A little success changes attitudes and I'll accept anyone into the fold regardless of their original intent.

What politicians support labor and what have they done recently to show support besides talk?

There are many in the Democratic Progressive Caucus. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Ro Khanna, Tom Pocan and others. With the current make up of Congress, all they can do is talk. Republicans won't bring any bills to the floor for a vote that supports labor. On the contrary, they are doing all they can to destroy us. When people like us start listening and voting, things can change. Think back in history of all the social and economic change that has happened. ALL of it happened when folks like us stood up and said enough is enough.

There are many in the Democratic Progressive Caucus. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Ro Khanna, Tom Pocan and others. With the current make up of Congress, all they can do is talk. Republicans won't bring any bills to the floor for a vote that supports labor. On the contrary, they are doing all they can to destroy us. When people like us start listening and voting, things can change. Think back in history of all the social and economic change that has happened. ALL of it happened when folks like us stood up and said enough is enough.
Besides talk, what have they done?

Status
Not open for further replies.