XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing this, why hasn’t Hoffa and company gone all out in pushing for unionization of other carriers? Ask any business leader; companies either grow or shrink; there is no sitting still. Why has IBT been shrinking? If it’s not bad leadership then what caused it?
Cause it takes money to unionize!!! Why push for it when many employees haven’t reached that point yet or is in fear of making waves for change.

Cause it takes money to unionize!!! Why push for it when many employees haven’t reached that point yet or is in fear of making waves for change.
That doesn't make sense. If that's true, why are they shoveling money into a fire for XPO? Clearly most employees don't want it, yet here we are, spinning the wheels because someone keeps telling Hoffa that the XPO campaign is winnable.

Union busting is a multi million dollar industry...

You know what else is a multimillion dollar industry? Administrating a union. Funny, that.

Why are companies willing to pay such exorbitant fees to be represented by a 3rd party to convince us that we don't need representation by a 3rd party?

Why are unions willing to pay millions of dollars to convince content employees that they are unhappy and being cheated? But don't quit, just bring in this corrupt group of professional muckrakers to warn you about the sky falling with a bullhorn for the rest of your career. No thank you.

They have no communication for us unless It's anti-union stuff. Speaks volumes

I think it's been well established that the company has been communicating more, not less, and not just about unions.

If you're not getting any information, maybe that should be something you put in your contract proposals.

If you want to define union strong, why not look at UPS or ABF or any one of a thousand companies where unions have done very well for their membership.

I don't know if ABF is a great example of "doing very well for their membership" after concessions, and UPS is an outlier at the top of the heap. Who are these "thousand" other union trucking companies that are thriving because of their union strength?

The heyday of the middle class was post WW2, when union membership in this country was 45% of the work force.

Yeah, before the internet, before global supply chains, before OSHA and Equal Opportunity Employers, before deregulation.

It's not 1946. That world is gone, and it's not coming back. You can't offer anything but campaign slogans, and those aren't worth much in 2018.

I never said I was happy with the direction this company is taking, however, many on this site expressed that they were happy with the status quo. I understand a guy with only a year or two under his belt leaving, but what I can't understand is why a senior guy wouldn't want to take positive steps to secure his position, his seniority, his vacation time and his pay scale. Your answer is to run. My answer is to fight. If we run from XPO, what makes you think we won't be running from where ever it is we might end up. The current race is to the bottom and all companies will head that way if unions are destroyed.
At Highspeeds barn quite a few drivers left. Some with decades of seniority. This has been mentioned on here before. Also mentioned was they left for UPS Package. So , that's a win , win situation for a driver that leaves XPO , has a nice nest egg from years of 401k contributions ( and a little pension ) , and with some time put in as a Teamster a retirement AND you may earn more money. Plus healthcare is covered.

I don't know if ABF is a great example of "doing very well for their membership" after concessions, and UPS is an outlier at the top of the heap. Who are these "thousand" other union trucking companies that are thriving because of their union strength?

Yeah, before the internet, before global supply chains, before OSHA and Equal Opportunity Employers, before deregulation.

It's not 1946. That world is gone, and it's not coming back. You can't offer anything but campaign slogans, and those aren't worth much in 2018.

Here's a list of active labor unions in the United States representing millions of union workers and THOUSANDS of companies.

http://www.thelaborsite.com/uniondirectory1.cfm

Whatever concessions ABF made in this contract, their compensation package is worth $43.84 per hour to it's employees. What's your package worth?

After three years of hearing that, I'm not convinced. We're still busy, I still enjoy going to work, and wouldn't you know it, my checks just keep getting bigger.

Then, you are one of a few exceptions. At least based on posts on this thread. I'm amazed that you have no issues with what the company has been taking from you this past year. Most recently, with respect to disability policy. 60% instead of 66 2/3%. Four weeks without a check instead of two. 30 days company paid insurance and after that...you get Cobra and you get to pay your premiums out of pocket. Bereavement, PTO Accrual and stricter disciplinary policy and you believe it will all stop there? Enjoy your big checks because they are now on a mission to eliminate overtime all together. They'll hire kids off the street to hold you to 40 or less.

At Highspeeds barn quite a few drivers left. Some with decades of seniority. This has been mentioned on here before. Also mentioned was they left for UPS Package. So , that's a win , win situation for a driver that leaves XPO , has a nice nest egg from years of 401k contributions ( and a little pension ) , and with some time put in as a Teamster a retirement AND you may earn more money. Plus healthcare is covered.

We had two senior guys leave for the Post Office. Can't say I blame them. The stories they tell about their compensation package and policy make us look sick by comparison. I can certainly understand why someone would make that move.

Here's a list of active labor unions in the United States representing millions of union workers and THOUSANDS of companies.

I didn't ask for a list of unions, I asked who are the thousand trucking companies that are thriving because of the strength of their union. If it's not trucking, it doesn't matter what they're doing. Apples to apples.

Then, you are one of a few exceptions. At least based on posts on this thread.

This thread has how many current employees posting? 10? 20? Even if it's 50, is that a reliable sample of 13,000 (or however many it is now)? Internet opinions skew negative, whether it's restaurants or right to work. Don't get too excited at the discontent- there are more of me than there are of you.

You know what else is a multimillion dollar industry? Administrating a union. Funny, that.

Why are unions willing to pay millions of dollars to convince content employees that they are unhappy and being cheated? But don't quit, just bring in this corrupt group of professional muckrakers to warn you about the sky falling with a bullhorn for the rest of your career. No thank you.

You know what's really funny? Every cent of the millions spent administrating a union results in benefits to working men and women. Every cent spent in busting a union results in additional compensation to our CEO, Upper Management and shareholders. Last I looked, NOT ONE OF THEM DELIVERED OR PICKED UP A SINGLE OUNCE OF FREIGHT.

I didn't ask for a list of unions, I asked who are the thousand trucking companies that are thriving because of the strength of their union. If it's not trucking, it doesn't matter what they're doing. Apples to apples.

This thread has how many current employees posting? 10? 20? Even if it's 50, is that a reliable sample of 13,000 (or however many it is now)? Internet opinions skew negative, whether it's restaurants or right to work. Don't get too excited at the discontent- there are more of me than there are of you.

I didn't say thousands of trucking companies. I said thousands of companies. What's the difference if it's trucking, construction or manufacturing. The principle is the same. Companies are realizing record profits. Production is soaring. Wages are stagnated. Wait until the new insurance rates are published. There will be even less of you.

Most recently, with respect to disability policy.

Yeah, I don't understand that one. Odd move, I thought. Sky still not falling.

Enjoy your big checks because they are now on a mission to eliminate overtime all together.

Says who? I've worked more overtime this year than I have since I was hired.

They'll hire kids off the street to hold you to 40 or less.

BS. They can't hire enough people with a pulse and enough limbs to operate the truck, much less hire to eliminate OT.

This thread has almost 650,000 views. I'm guessing that might be at least a couple of thousand viewers. Why such scarce participation? I would argue that people who support the company would have no problem posting their support here. I would also argue it's those who are dissatisfied hesitate to post because they feel the company might find out who they are and retaliate. There are way more of us...just not ready to come out of the closet yet.

Yeah, I don't understand that one. Odd move, I thought. Sky still not falling.

Says who? I've worked more overtime this year than I have since I was hired.

BS. They can't hire enough people with a pulse and enough limbs to operate the truck, much less hire to eliminate OT.

I can't argue that the current situation is as you post. But, I can tell you they are working on it feverishly. My guys want OT after 8. My fear is that they'll hire enough new guys to keep us under 40. I've heard Fed Ex has mastered that tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.